Photo

My Xbox 360 Will Not Play Games But Plays Movies.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 robokot

robokot

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:12 AM

Hello could someone help me out with this. My xbox 360 will not play games but plays movies. How could i fix this?

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:23 AM

List more details please, no one has a clue if ya messed with the DVD drive, if the 360 has never been touched or what shape it was in when you received it, so it's right impossible to tell what the deal really is at the moment.

#3 robokot

robokot

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:13 AM

My Xbox was never opened droped as I know. It played dvds fine. and the xbox hads never been messed with as long as I know.

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:07 AM

That still doesn't really tell much, if it's your 360 then you should know exactly what's been done or not done to it, barring of course someone that just likes to drop or take apart things while you're not looking. If you bought it new then that's one thing. If you got it from someone else used that's a complete other.

If it was brand new then that means it read games at that point and now has stopped. As well if it's never been messed with then you should still have some warranty left on it, unless it's over a year old now.

If it was bought used and played games before, but now has quit that's one problem. If it was bought used and has never played a game then that's a whole different problem.

You're going to have to get into some details here if you want help, I have no idea what I'm working with and the possibilities of what's wrong as well as what you may be able to do to fix them are quite a few. You don't have to write a novel, but explain the whole deal if you want some accurate answers. Just describing it as "my 360" and "long as I know" don't really clear up any points that are needed to know to help you out.

#5 robokot

robokot

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:06 PM

I got the 360 used from someone on craigs list. The person talk me it was working fine till one day he put in a game and it could go to a white microsoft screen that says put in a 360 game and that did the same thing for me. I will try to get some pics.

The xbox 360 looks like new and the warranty sticker is in place. Could this be dust on the dvd rom or is there some firmware missing. Could I reset the xbox to factory settings and firmware? Could someone help me out with this.

#6 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:48 AM

If it's really an untouched 360 then the Laser could just need cleaned, adjusting or worst case replaced. If it's an unmodded, unopened and untouched 360 you aren't going to have to mess with any FW or drive replacing, just the laser at most.

You're going to have to tear the thing apart to clean, adjust or replace the laser, so start looking for a tutorial on just that, plenty around on how to get the 360 apart. Then there's either gonna be 4 or 6 screws, depending on the drive that's in it, to get the cover removed from the DVD drive. Then you can try cleaning the lens of the laser first, put it back together and test, then try the POT tweak (tutorial here).

Now if after a good cleaning and the POT tweak it doesn't read any XBOX or 360 games, try as many as ya can to see if even 1 will boot, then depending on that outcome you have 2 options.

1. It boots at least 1 game, so ya know the drives key is good and the the laser is really screwy and a new one should fix it right up.

2. It still reads no games, you get a new laser and install it and it still reads no games, that means ya got lied to and the drives key is messed up and the thing is really useless, unless the owner has the original FW or key backed up somewhere.

#7 nettwerk

nettwerk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:01 PM

If the drive only plays movies its has to be a messed up drive key.

#8 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE(nettwerk @ Jul 22 2007, 10:37 AM) View Post

If the drive only plays movies its has to be a messed up drive key.

Not entirely true, a bad laser can and will do the same thing on a 360 with a good key, that's what we're trying to determine here.

#9 robokot

robokot

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:44 PM

Well my warranty sticker is on place so I really am thinking of shipping the 360 in to get a new one. I was told that MS extended the warranty. But I do have a 2nd 360 that needs an x clamp that I could use the dvd rom from. So If MS tells me i cant get a new 360 I will try to clean the laser or see what els i could to.

Thanks a lot guys for reading this and trying to help me.

#10 box_69

box_69

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Interests:xbox and my truck
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:03 PM

im not sure but i dont think that 360 dvd drives are plug and play with different motherboards. but... i might be wrong since ive never tried smile.gif

#11 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE(robokot @ Jul 22 2007, 01:20 PM) View Post

Well my warranty sticker is on place so I really am thinking of shipping the 360 in to get a new one. I was told that MS extended the warranty. But I do have a 2nd 360 that needs an x clamp that I could use the dvd rom from. So If MS tells me i cant get a new 360 I will try to clean the laser or see what els i could to.

Thanks a lot guys for reading this and trying to help me.

You're not the original owner of the 360, so the warranty doesn't apply to you, plus they only extended it for the 3RLOD issue it seems.

QUOTE(box_69 @ Jul 22 2007, 01:39 PM) View Post

im not sure but i dont think that 360 dvd drives are plug and play with different motherboards. but... i might be wrong since ive never tried smile.gif

No the drives are not 'plug and play', each one is keyed to it's motherboard, sorta like the old XBOX HDDs were locked to their motherboards. If this 'key' isn't changed from the old drive to the new drive the 360 will only be able to play CDs and DVD movies.

#12 robokot

robokot

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:22 PM

My Xbox just started to work out of the bloom. This is very ode. Thanks guys for helping me out

#13 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:20 PM

Subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty, Microsoft warrants to you only (the original retail purchaser) that, during the Warranty Period and under normal use and service,

Edited by RDC, 23 July 2007 - 11:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users