freesafety13

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 July 2007 - 04:54 AM

Currently my home theater system is completely setup for a true hd experience. But I have one problem, I am considering purchasing a ps3 around the holiday season but have been told that if you use the HDMI output, you CANNOT use fiber optic audio along with it. I have not been able to test this personally, but it was told to me by a reliable co-worker. If this is true, it eliminates the purpose of trying to achieve a true video and audio experience, unless you purchase a receiver that supports HDMI in and out, and thats only a $1100 piece of equipment. Even if you do purchase a compatible receiver, you will still have to deal with purchasing multiple HDMI's along with the fact if you do use the audio on your tv you will have to deal with the audio lag on it compared to the receiver.

can anyone verify if the ps3 will or will not support HDMI along with fiber optic audio.

EDIT

sorry just realized this is the wrong forum for this question. for some reason when I first entered the forums it only gave 2 options, General and Multimedia and Blu-Ray Features. It didnt give all the other sections until I backed back out.

can someone move this to the proper section. thank you

Edited by freesafety13, 21 July 2007 - 04:58 AM.

#2 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE(freesafety13 @ Jul 20 2007, 09:30 PM) View Post
...but have been told that if you use the HDMI output, you CANNOT use fiber optic audio along with it.

This is a falsehood. You may use HDMI for video and optical for audio if that is the way your home theater is set up.

The PS3's video and audio output options are separate.

Edited by epsilon72, 21 July 2007 - 07:02 AM.

#3 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:42 AM

Change the Audio setting and it will work fine. Mine is HDMI and Optical for the audio.

#4 freesafety13

freesafety13

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jul 21 2007, 12:18 PM) View Post

Change the Audio setting and it will work fine. Mine is HDMI and Optical for the audio.

I'll let the guy I work with know that there is a setting he needs to change to use hdmi and fiber optic audio. Can you tell how to do this so I can relay it to him. Thank you

#5 Kamasutra318

Kamasutra318

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:As a Computer Engineer, I try to learn as much as I can about electronics and software. Also games.
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:58 AM

Under "Settings" there is an option called "Sound Settings". In there, one must select "Audio Output Settings" and then choose "Digital Out (Optical)". The following options depend on the receiver.

Edited by Kamasutra318, 22 July 2007 - 02:01 AM.

#6 freesafety13

freesafety13

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:41 AM

Alright, my buddy turned audio out to digital and still no audio while using hdmi for video and fiber optic for audio. So, the first thing I try is I put the fiber optic on his cable box and it works perfectly. And just for show, I try it with hdmi and fiber optic out on the cable box, and put audio out to digital, not hdmi, and both the video and audio work flawlessly. Does he have a faulty ps3, or should I now start to legitimately worry about the ps3's ability to produce hdmi video and fiber optic audio. Does anyone who frequents this forum actually use hdmi and fiber optic and can verify that my worries of purchasing a ps3 and not being able to use hdmi and fiber optic are dumbfounded.

#7 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:32 AM

Does anyone who frequents this forum actually use hdmi and fiber optic and can verify that my worries of purchasing a ps3 and not being able to use hdmi and fiber optic are dumbfounded.

Didn't I already do that?
Mine is HDMI and Optical for the audio.

To confirm. Mine is connected to the TV via HDMI. I have Audi connected via the optical out to my Surround receiver and it works perfectly.
Once you set the Audio to output through the optical, there is no Audio from the TV. It has to go through an AV receiver.

Edited by Chancer, 24 July 2007 - 11:34 AM.

#8 freesafety13

freesafety13

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jul 24 2007, 12:08 PM) View Post

Didn't I already do that?

To confirm. Mine is connected to the TV via HDMI. I have Audi connected via the optical out to my Surround receiver and it works perfectly.
Once you set the Audio to output through the optical, there is no Audio from the TV. It has to go through an AV receiver.

Besides you Chancer, I was wondering if anyone else uses hdmi and fiber optic. The setup my buddy is using is, he is running hdmi(for video) to a 40" Sharp lcd and fiber optic(for audio) to a Yamaha HTR-6060. We cannot get audio from the ps3 to the receiver while using the fiber optic output from the ps3. We are getting the fiber optic signal through the cable, which can be verified by the laser light, but it acts like it's not carrying any information. So, like I said earlier, I disconnected the hdmi and fiber optic from the ps3 and connected it to the tv and receiver respectably, and it works perfectly fine. Is this a ps3 issue.

#9 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:40 PM

If you are sure the setttings in the PS3 are set to optical out and also to Bitstream then yes the PS3 is faulty

#10 freesafety13

freesafety13

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:07 PM

does he need to contact Sony or the store he bought the ps3 from about the problem. And is there a warranty on the ps3 like what xbox is doing with the 360. He probally isnt going to be very happy when I tell him he's going to have to either get it exchanged or mail it back to Sony for repairs.

#11 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:29 PM

In the UK the contract of sale is with the store and they are responsible for exchanging or repairing the unit.
Elsewhere I am not sure.

#12 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:04 AM

Maybe he is not running the latest firmware, I know some PS3 updates changed the sound settings...

#13 freesafety13

freesafety13

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE(bucko @ Aug 2 2007, 11:40 AM) View Post

Maybe he is not running the latest firmware, I know some PS3 updates changed the sound settings...

I never thought that it could be a firmware issue, I will suggest it to him. To update his firmware, does he need a online compatible game, I honestly dont know how it works, and he's told me repeatedly that he never plays his ps3 online since he has a 360 and live.

#14 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:49 PM

It's not the firmware. My set up worked before any updates.
have you managed to see the machine and go through the options for your self. More than likely the options are still set up wrong.

#15 freesafety13

freesafety13

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Aug 4 2007, 08:25 PM) View Post

It's not the firmware. My set up worked before any updates.
have you managed to see the machine and go through the options for your self. More than likely the options are still set up wrong.

Yeah, I actually went over there after I got your original response just to make sure it wasnt either his setup or his cables. Since I couldnt get it to work on his ps3, I tried the exact same setup on his hd-dvr converter and the audio worked flawlessly. I told him yesterday that he probally has a faulty ps3, but I also told him to try updating his firmware after reading the post by bucko. I'm sure at some point in time I'm sure he will get a hold of me to tell me its not working. We both work in the cable business and have spent substantial time setting up surround sound systems for all types of tv's and receivers. Thats why I was led to believe the ps3 doesnt support hdmi and fiber optic, which it obviously does.

EDIT

Have you had a chance to read what I wrote about the capabilities of the ps3 supporting tivo like features Chancer. Heres the link

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=615639

Edited by freesafety13, 04 August 2007 - 08:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users