6 replies to this topic

#1 oisuxx

oisuxx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:56 AM

i have a bunch of these blank pics for the wiifree thing........but is there a hex floating around for the psx, for the same pic?
or is there a way to convert it to work with that pic?
im not really familiar with hex or coding like that, so please be kind smile.gif

#2 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:44 PM

AFAIK there is no hex for the 12F629 just the 12C508 (I think that's what it is)

The only way you could convert it is if you had the source code. You'd need to convert the initialization routines and IIRC the hex that is available for the PSX is encrypted so you'd need the source... even if it wasn't encrypted you'd need to find a good decompiler to convert the hex back to source to do the conversion anyway.

The amount of time and effort it would take would probably not be worth it.

I have a huge collection of files from one of the usual places that describes the theory and methodology of how the PSX chips worked... honestly, it would probably be easier to develop a whole new firmware from scratch.

I browsed through it once and it seemed pretty simple in design, but without knowledge of MCU programing or how to analyze raw disc data it would probably take you a few months to learn how to do it...

IMO It's only worth it if you're interested in doing something for the modding community (as the 16F629 is a much easier chip to come by these days while the '508 is obsolete) if you're looking to just save a buck... this isn't the project for you.

#3 oisuxx

oisuxx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:08 PM

yea im not really famillar with programming....if i was to figure it out i would of course post the info up or the hex file. but i dont really think there is a high demand for this smile.gif

#4 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie & Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:26 PM

Demand may not be high but I sure could save a $1 on it. biggrin.gif

I asked the same thing recently as there are very limited numbers of 508 /508a's for cheap any more. I plan to look into it a little further once I finish up the several other projects I have looming in the background.

#5 garyopa

garyopa

X-S Expert

• Admin
  • 747 posts
  • Interests:Embedded Hardware and Firmware
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE(EverestX @ Jul 24 2007, 12:02 PM) View Post

Demand may not be high but I sure could save a $1 on it. biggrin.gif

I asked the same thing recently as there are very limited numbers of 508 /508a's for cheap any more. I plan to look into it a little further once I finish up the several other projects I have looming in the background.

Since I have the souce code for the old PSX modchips, I recently myself updated the code and make it work successfully in
the new 12F629, as I recently came across a bunch of un-modded PS-One machines, and the '508 chip is very rare these
days, and I had tons of 12F629's around for use in the Wii's

Send us an email, and I will give you directions in finding our redone PSX package for the 12F629 chip.

Thanks.

Edited by garyopa, 07 February 2008 - 08:18 PM.

#6 amps

amps

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:36 AM

Hate to dig up an old thread, but hate to start a new one either.... was this issue ever resolved? I'm looking for 12C508a myself but they run in the $17 dollar range. That's more than what I paid for the console itself.

Does the code for the 12F629 work? I'm assuming the wiring is the exact same?

#7 gman060692

gman060692

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:58 AM

The code has been ported to the 12F629. If you search google you will find it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users