• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:43 AM

COD4 storage issue clarified: HDD not required
Posted by XanTium | July 23 23:43 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From xbox360fanboy.com:

There was quite a bit of falderal surrounding the recently released conceptual box art for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. For those who are unaware, the box art released featured an icon with the text "Storage Required" underneath it. This led many to believe that Call of Duty 4 would break Microsoft's mandate that all 360 titles be playable without a hard drive. Have no fear though, for it looks like it was all a misunderstanding. MyGamerCard.net reports that Infinity Ward Community Relations Manager, Robert Bowling, has confirmed that storage will not be required to play Call of Duty 4.

Full Story: xbox360fanboy.com

#2 Logi7

Logi7

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:13 AM

uh
storage is always required unless you plan on finishing it in 1 sit down

#3 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:24 AM

Yup, memory cards are great. Can't put a lot of downloadable maps on there but hey.

#4 no0b123

no0b123

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • Interests:Just xbox :p
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:45 AM

I think it's stupid to come out with an expensive machine and not have a storage device. The price for a Core system and a memory card (512mb) is $350. But if you spend $400, you can have the system and 20GB of storage. Isn't the extra $50 worth an extra 19.5GB of storage? Plus like what Heet said, you cant have DL maps and stuff on a memory stick anyhow.

#5 anttimonty

anttimonty

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:49 AM

This led many to believe that Call of Duty 4 would break Microsoft's mandate that all 360 titles be playable without a hard drive.

Didn't already a certain football manager require a harddrive?

#6 Lordscr

Lordscr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:30 AM

I noticed it too but realized that it didn't require an "HDD" because it said "storage device" not "HDD".

People get worked up over the littlest things, it wasn't like a press release that said that you required a Hard Drive.

#7 FCTE

FCTE

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:44 AM

QUOTE(no0b123 @ Jul 23 2007, 11:21 PM) View Post

I think it's stupid to come out with an expensive machine and not have a storage device. The price for a Core system and a memory card (512mb) is $350. But if you spend $400, you can have the system and 20GB of storage. Isn't the extra $50 worth an extra 19.5GB of storage? Plus like what Heet said, you cant have DL maps and stuff on a memory stick anyhow.

The core system is an awesome cheaper replacement for RRoD consoles, probably serves no other purpose, probably why they are hard to find now........RRoD and bans. laugh.gif

#8 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:16 AM

Well I thought there were other games that required storage so I think that statement maybe be wrong, or I am I can't remember which games they were.

#9 luther349

luther349

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:07 AM

forza 2 needs pretty mutch a entire 64 meeg card somewhere around 32 megs for a save not counting cars. you defently whant a harddrive for that one. but i guess if you got a 512 meg card or a extra 64 meg your still ok. personaly when it comes to any console with a harddrive using a memery card is dumb anyways just get the hd. unless your going to frends houses or something then there usefull for moving your save.

Edited by luther349, 24 July 2007 - 08:08 AM.

#10 redwolf

redwolf

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:36 PM

^true, stop spending monies on silly memory cards.... get a HDD.

#11 bassquake

bassquake

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

maybe ms should really start thinking about doing hdd only games and lose the core. that way games can properly take advantage of the hardware as constantly streaming off the dvd cant be good and limits possibilities.

jus my 2c.

#12 BasicAir

BasicAir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Interests:Everything.
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(no0b123 @ Jul 24 2007, 05:21 AM) View Post

LOL, that's the whole point. It's a win-win situation for Microsoft. If you decide to spend the extra $50 for the Hard Drive, they make more money. If you decide to stick with the Core (with or without a memory card) then they make more money, too.

Business models, such as that of the Xbox 360, are designed to MAKE MONEY. Not to make it fair and logical whether you decide to buy this console version or that one.

#13 no0b123

no0b123

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • Interests:Just xbox :p
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE(BasicAir @ Jul 24 2007, 09:34 AM) View Post

LOL, that's the whole point. It's a win-win situation for Microsoft. If you decide to spend the extra $50 for the Hard Drive, they make more money. If you decide to stick with the Core (with or without a memory card) then they make more money, too.

Business models, such as that of the Xbox 360, are designed to MAKE MONEY. Not to make it fair and logical whether you decide to buy this console version or that one.

True Dat.

#14 yourM0M

yourM0M

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE(bassquake @ Jul 24 2007, 01:22 PM) View Post

maybe ms should really start thinking about doing hdd only games and lose the core. that way games can properly take advantage of the hardware as constantly streaming off the dvd cant be good and limits possibilities.

jus my 2c.

and what would happen to all the current core/nonstorage owners??

the only thing i see that could work is if they do a bundle...like $100 gives u any newgame requiring storage and a 20gb hdd....now that would be sweet....and then mark that time as the drop on game prices back down to $50

#15 bassquake

bassquake

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:04 PM

the only thing i see that could work is if they do a bundle...like $100 gives u any newgame requiring storage and a 20gb hdd....now that would be sweet....and then mark that time as the drop on game prices back down to $50

That would be pretty sweet, but...

I do wonder how many core owners finally gave in and got a hd shortly after buying the core. Took me a week till I gave in and got one, though I was lucky and got one cheap rather than the ridiculously overpriced one in the shops (from the UK: costs 70 = ~$140).

Its impossible to make use of the 360 without it really. No demos to download from Live and no backward compatibility to original xbox games without it. And damn, its small. Only 20gb blink.gif

Edited by bassquake, 25 July 2007 - 06:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users