• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:41 AM

Howdy!

In this tutorial you will learn how to light up the Power Button on your wiimote!

Disclaimer- I am in no way responsible if you ignite your wiimote, receive a 2nd degree burn, or whatever else you noobs could try to hold me liable for.

Supplies-
Soldering Iron
Soldering Sponge
Solder (Rosin Core/.022dia)
Wire (30awg)
3mm LED color of your choice*
Resistor*
Tri-wing Screwdriver
Sharpie (optional)
Electrical tape (optional)

*In this tutorial I used a 3mm Blue LED (3.3v/30ma). I have yet to test an LED that requires 2.1v (such as Red). Assuming that the wiimote outputs 3.3v, you'll need to use an 82ohm 1/4w resistor to properly power a 2.1v LED.

Where to get LEDs-
www.sickmods.net
www.lsdiodes.com
www.ledshoppe.com
www.ebay.com

Where to get a Tri-wing Screwdriver-
www.otbmods.com
www.modchipman.com
www.modchipstore.com
www.ebay.com

My tri-wing screwdriver looks like this-
IPB Image

Before we start, I've read that some wiimotes are incapable of being modded. This is indicated by a series of numbers printed on the wiimote's PCB. Just take off the battery cover, remove the batteries and take a look. This wiimote is moddable-
IPB Image

Modding the Power Button

Step 1-
Finding your wiimote:
It looks like this..
IPB Image

Step 2-
Removing the screws:
Remove the battery cover. Take out the batteries. Grab your tri-wing screwdriver and take out the 4 screws indicated in the following picture-
IPB Image

Step 3-
Disassembling the wiimote:
You may have to pry a little bit. Be cautious though.. I broke the 2 tabs in the front that keep the front of the wiimote locked together.. so mine is now loose. After taking off the top, it should like this-
IPB Image
The PCB comes right out.. just pull a bit. It'll now look like this-
IPB Image

Step 4-
Prepping the LED:
Grab your LED and mark one of the legs (if you want). Measure about .5-.75in and cut the remainder of the legs off. Grab your 30awg wire. Measure about 3-3.5in and snip away. Then strip the wires. Solder one end of one wire to one leg.. repeat for the other leg. Then twist the wires together. I did it like this-
IPB Image

Step 5-
Covering the the top of the wiimote:
For this part I used a sharpie... but you can use electrical tape. I did this so that light wouldn't bleed through. But, I think I went overboard. I colored it like this-
IPB Image

Step 6-
Positioning the LED:
I basically positioned the LED like this-
IPB Image

Step 7-
Locating the power source:
This picture should be self-explainable-
IPB Image

Step 8-
Soldering the wires:
Keeping the previous posted picture in mind, go ahead and solder your wires. It should look like this (with the PCB back in the wiimote)-
IPB Image

Step 9-
Testing:
I went ahead and put the thing back together. You can choose to not put the screws back for testing.. up to you. But if everythings good, the LED should light up! Go ahead and put the screws back in, the batteries back in, and the cover back on! And you're done!
IPB Image
IPB Image

Personal thoughts-
This was the first time I did this mod (of course the other wiimote/nunchuck mods were too). I personally am not satisfied with the result. I think it would be smart to solder some 30awg wire to an SMD and place it on the opposite side of the power button (thus evening out the light). I may give that a go sometime.

Hope this tutorial helps!

This tutorial can also be found at these links-
www.Ub3rsForums.co.nr
www.Nintendo-Scene.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users