Photo

Definitive Answer About Hard Drive Corruption On Large Drives.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 slipperysnowman

slipperysnowman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:34 AM

I've read about 30 posts on hard drive corruption and still don't have a concrete answer to my corruption question. I'm guessing others might also be in the dark like myself, hence I'm hoping this post will help those people.

My situation is that I've got an Xbox1 with a 400GB drive in it and it is formatted with a large F:\ partition and no G:\ using a bios with the LBA48 hack.

My question is: When does hard drive corruption occur and what causes it?

Some have said after 256GB, some have said it's the number of files on the drive and the capacity is irrelevant.

I believe I understand the way to work around this corruption; by using a larger cluster size 32k instead of 16k using Xbpartitioner and a G partition if necessary. Is this correct?

#2 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:51 AM

You are correct sir.

#3 slipperysnowman

slipperysnowman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:48 AM

Hotjob if you could be a little more verbose I'd really appreciate it.

#4 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE(slipperysnowman @ Jul 26 2007, 11:10 PM) View Post

My situation is that I've got an Xbox1 with a 400GB drive in it and it is formatted with a large F:\ partition and no G:\ using a bios with the LBA48 hack.

Use xbpartitioner w/ 32kb clusters, should be no issues.

My question is: When does hard drive corruption occur and what causes it?
Some have said after 256GB..

Correct. With 32kb clusters yor limit is 512gb

I believe I understand the way to work around this corruption; by using a larger cluster size 32k instead of 16k using Xbpartitioner and a G partition if necessary. Is this correct?

Correct

Edited by Movax, 28 July 2007 - 08:02 PM.

#5 slipperysnowman

slipperysnowman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:07 AM

Thanks Movax, that's a very clear answer!

I am going to use xbpartitioner to avoid any future corruption. Should I be worried about the integrity of the data that is currently on my 400GB drive before I back it up?

If I have filled it up greater than 256GB?

if I haven't filled it up greater than 256GB?

And finally out of curiosity what is the technical reason behind this limitation? The LBA48 code, FATX limitation, ...?

#6 SirMaverick

SirMaverick

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:42 AM

I've never experianced any hard drive corruption. I have a 500 gb hard drive in two of my xboxes.

#7 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:18 AM

Hi,

according to my readings it is a fatx limitation. The fat file system uses a "file allocation table" to tell the operating system where on the partition that it can find the pieces of a file. Those pieces are represented by Clusters on the disk. The Fatx file allocation table can only store a limited number of clusters. (As Microsoft never intended to put large disks in the xbox) Once that File Allocation Table is full, it will probably overwrite a area of the disk used for other purposes causing the corruption. If you double the size of a Cluster, you half the number of them. So, the corruption no longer occurs. (It will reoccur at 512Gb)

regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users