• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 roamin

roamin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 08:26 AM

hiya all i got my xbox last week and have had it modded and also added an 80 gig hdd.

question is the modchip is just a single chip. not an xecuter lite/pro. looks to be about 8 wires to install it. comes up with xecuter 2 though when booting the xbox.

i noticed everyone keeps talking about upgrading there bios. i also noticed there are 256k - 1024k bios's out there.

my question is when i upgrade the bios does that upgrade my mod chip or my xbox bios which i think you ppl call a TSOP.

should i upgrade with the 1024k or the 256k bios

what happens if you mod it with the wrong bios ??

also what are the benifets of the upgradeing of the bios??

please help i am still confused and yes i have been readin many tutorials on this website which i must say was brilliant.

Edited by roamin, 03 June 2003 - 08:29 AM.

#2 SillYcoNe

SillYcoNe

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 June 2003 - 02:54 PM

Sounds like you have a cheapmod. It's a 256K mod so you need to use a 256K bios (BTW evox will tell you about the wrong size when trying to flash from a 1M bios).
When you flash, you reprogram the chip you booted on, that is you will update your chip, nbot the TSOP which is the original onboard bios.
Wrong bios = bad flash = FRAG (flashin red and green) = you nbeed to externally reprogram the chip.
You ill want to upgrade the bios to take advantage of the new features of the upcoming bioses.

#3 roamin

roamin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 05:58 AM

whats the difference in the new bios's coming out ??

also how do i tell what version my bios is ??

is it worth updating the bios ??

whats the benifits of updating my bios??

i apologise im new and i cannot find a good enough tutorial on all this information!!!

uhh.gif uhh.gif uhh.gif uhh.gif uhh.gif uhh.gif uhh.gif uhh.gif

#4 wiseblood

wiseblood

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 06:13 AM

Check here for different BIOS types:
http://www.xbox-scene.com/bios11.php
If you bought the cheapmod recently, the seller most likely pre-flashed it with the latest Xecuter2 4976.02 BIOS. It's got the most features, and it's pretty much the standard right now, since it will allow you to play the most recent games without requiring them to be patched. I don't really think you would want to reflash it just yet, unless you want some different features like no animation (flubber) at startup, or a different colored Xbox Logo.
However,
If you want a simple and effective flash utility, try this site:
http://www.ozxchip.com/
Under downloads there is an file called OzXFlash Software. It comes with a set of instructions on how to reflash your chip. It's pretty simple to use, and it's a good alternative to EvoX, if you are a little worried about screwing something up. You can re-flash your chip from CD-rom with OzXflash. EvoX is also a great program, btw.

Edited by wiseblood, 10 June 2003 - 06:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users