16 replies to this topic

#1 janszoon

janszoon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:15 AM

Hi Guys.

WOW - I am so impressed with the development on XBMC it is just amazing and gives me all that I want from a Media solution perspective.

I currently have a recent T3CH build from July and everything is so sweet on the PMIII skin.

I have spent the last few days getting a really clean Music library on my PC (BTW networked to XBOX) and using SMB I have all my music available and looking great. All album/artist/song info is there and ALBUM ART for all songs in my collection.

I put it on PMIII shuffle and set no visualization and I get a nice black screen, album art displayed and other song info. Perfect!

However, I have a pretty nice widescreen TV and I think there is room to increase the size of the displayed thumbnail/album art.

Questions:
1) Is there a skin that presents the whole now playing or shuffle/album art thing in a bigger format?
2) Can I adjust the size of the displayed thumbnail in PMIII?

really appreciate your help!

also: If any of the developers are reading this: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE XBMC !

regards.

#2 jmarshall

jmarshall

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:52 PM

1. No idea - I'm sure people have hacked PM3 up before - try searching the forums here and the official forums.

2. Yes, it's possible. You just need to open up MusicVisualisation.xml (in PAL folder of PM3 most probably - check the PAL16x9 and use that one if it already has one there) and find the image control with the thumb (<info>MusicPlayer.Thumb</info> and change the <width>, <height> and <posx>, <posy> etc.)

This seems like a nice "skin mod" tutorial for the online manual - please type up what you did and I'll add them to the official manual.

Cheers,
Jonathan

#3 janszoon

janszoon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:29 PM

Thanks Jonathon.

I have had a bit of a play around and got it looking pretty good. Good sized Album artwork and I moved the text/displays a bit to accommodate.

I see the that the MC360 skin uses already a slightly larger image and a CD Jewel case around the image. Looks quite cool too.

Kinda got me thinking...

1) What are the limitations of the the MusicVisualization.xml file ? Can it do movement and animation?
2) Where can I learn about what this file can do/cant do and how to adjust.

I kinda thought a (dear I say it) iTunes/Vista style of Albums lining up like a JukeBox with played song/album art on the left, playing album center and 'to come' albums to the right. Ideally then the albums all 'move' position when the song changes.

What I could be talking about here is almost a 'Juke Box Visualization' maybe? If so....Where can I learn about creating visualizations?

Well - It looks like a bit of a ramble but I hope you get the idea.

cheers.

J

#4 jmarshall

jmarshall

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:44 PM

Read the online manual on skinning.

Currently the only things available are the current song information, so you can't display the upcoming stuff.

#5 janszoon

janszoon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:00 PM

Hi Jonathon.

thanks for your timely replies..I have started reading the manual on Skinning. Perfect just what I wanted!

But in regards to visualizations (and creating new ones) is there a similar guide? I've done a few searches but am struggling..

Cheers mate.

J

#6 PantsOnFire

PantsOnFire

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:02 PM

I've been reading this thread a little, and it's of interest to me too (modifying thumbnail size/position) etc.

My main goal was to increase size of the album art on screen, which I've managed, just one observation though:

When the image is increased in size, it does become a touch blurry, (even if not stretched a great amount).
I'd like to be able to see this image in better clarity- is it possible that xbmc full-screen vis mode does something that impairs the image clarity? (even if un-intended).

By the way, this is when using the PMII skin.

cheers.

#7 spiff

spiff

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:15 PM

see the advancedsettings.xml manual page - it lets you adjust the resolution thumbs are created at.

#8 PantsOnFire

PantsOnFire

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:21 PM

I just toyed with the same things this time using MC360 skin and the result is the same, I guess the blurring of the image is something that can't be helped?

One thing I was trying to do:

When in full-screen, I wanted to add a reflection image (like apple use in their ads) as if the CD is sitting on a glossy black table.

So I opened photoshop, did a simple black fading to transparent gradient and saved as PNG.

I figured, looking at the xml that I'd be able to add another item to this screen (the gradient),
and also another (up-side-down) image of the album art. Lay the gradient image over the inverted album art to get the effect I'm after.

But, I came to look at the xml again and noticed for items like the background panel (which typically the album infos are laid on top of), they are referred to by xbmc as 'textures'. A quick hunt through the xbmc folders on the xbox and I see textures.xpr, is this the file that contains the panel graphic PNG I mentioned? If so, it looks like I am stuck right? Unless I can edit that XPR file somehow? (or is that not really allowed as such)?

Other than this, I can't see how I can achieve what I'm after.

Bit stuck, any help appreciated.
Cheers.

#9 jmarshall

jmarshall

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:50 PM

What part of the online skinning manual do you not understand?

The page on GUIImage tells you pretty clearly what is and isn't "allowed" in terms of images.

There's further information on how to generate an XPR pack there as well.

Perhaps you could write up a "beginners guide to altering a skin" with what you have done and the issues you faced, and I can add it to the online manual?

Cheers,
Jonathan

#10 spiff

spiff

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:52 PM

adjusting the thumb cache size obviously wont work if you dont delete the cache so it can recache the thumbs.

#11 PantsOnFire

PantsOnFire

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:42 PM

I created a file for AdvancedSettings.

And I entered into it:

"
<advancedsettings>
<thumbsize>576</thumbsize>
</advancedsettings>"

I went into the dir:
/E/Apps/XBMC/UserData/Thumbnails/Music

and deleted the entire contents (all of the thumbnails).

I then let xbmc create all the thumbs again.

I look at my thumb of a random album in full-screen vis mode in xbmc, and I find it still to be blurry.
And if I FTP browse the directory I find the thumbnail filesizes are still as small as before.
I dragged a random one off the xbox onto PC and check its properties. And it is showing as 192x192 pixels still.

Have I created the AdvancedSettings file wrongly?

#12 jmarshall

jmarshall

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:53 PM

Assuming you named it:

AdvancedSettings.xml

And didn't have any of those quotes it in it would have worked fine.

One presumes your thumbs are in fact higher quality to begin with?

#13 PantsOnFire

PantsOnFire

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:17 AM

That's just what I've done, I've checked again many times to be sure, also made new music album folders as tests, and downloaded really high-res album cover JPGs for those folders.

Not that this is incredibly high-res, but here is one example:

ORIGINAL:
Original FOLDER.JPG
http://farm2.static....c6edbef16_o.jpg

THUMB
XBMC-processed file
IPB Image

The thumb has come out as 192x192.

I just can't tell what is going wrong, but it isn't taking the config used in my XML, I'm pretty sure of that.

unsure.gif

Edited by PantsOnFire, 07 August 2007 - 01:19 AM.

#14 Jezz_X

Jezz_X

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:03 AM

You have done your AdvancedSettings.xml wrong because 192x192 is the default

#15 jmarshall

jmarshall

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:34 AM

Nah - he's done it right, it's just that 576 is outside the allowable bounds. 512 is the max.

Anything outside the bounds is treated as the default.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users