• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:27 AM

DVD size limiting Project Gotham Racing 4
Posted by XanTium | July 30 20:27 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From gamers-creed.com:

According to a a staff who is believed to be on the developing over at the official Project Gotham 4 Racing forums, they are having problems Fitting all the data of the tracks which was unveiled at today into the game.

He writes: "You won't see different times of day per city because this involves recreating all the textures again (one for day and one for night). Whilst this wasn't a problem for our dev team, it was a problem fitting all this data onto a single DVD. So we've worked around the problem by providing different lighting models per city. For example, Macau is always in the daytime, but if you play it during a storm everything looks darker and more foreboding. If you play during a blizzard then things are slightly tinged blue and everything seems more frozen. Of course, playing this track in sunshine will make everything appear bright and yellowy."

Full Story: gamers-creed.com

#2 stopit33

stopit33

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:01 AM

If this would have bean a ps3 game there wouldn't have bean a problem because ps3 uses blue ray disks instead of normal DVD

#3 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:04 AM

Great. Thats already an issue?

#4 theMetalEdge

theMetalEdge

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:05 AM

If I recall correctly, I remember MS saying that it would be highly unlikely for games to go beyond the dual layer capacities of a DVD.

Granted, most games may easily fit on one dual layer DVD, we're about 2 years into the life of the Xbox 360 and developers are starting the feel the need for a higher capacity medium.

Would be nice to have an integrated HD-DVD or BluRay player.

#5 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• 4,965 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:09 AM

Ah, can't wait for xbox 3.

#6 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:14 AM

We've been through this, DVD9 is plenty of space. The problem comes in when developers don't want to spend the extra time/money to fully optimize their code and media support files. I guarantee they could fit it all if they took the time to optimize, they just don't want to do that when they get next to nothing for that extra time in return...

Don't blame the fact that you can't fit your game on the DVD9 format on the size, blame the CODE, and ultimately the CODER.

EDIT: How much do you want to bet the disc is packed with bloated pre-rendedered cinematics at maximum resolution and bitrate? LOL.

Edited by feflicker, 31 July 2007 - 01:15 AM.

#7 slipstream

slipstream

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:17 AM

diffirent textures for Day and Night? really? THAT seems like a waste-of-space to me, especially as he later says they will just use diffirent lighting instead (isnt that the diffience in real life?) other games (MMO's, Fable, Elder Scroll) all change from day to night without loading new textures, why cant a racing game?

#8 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• 4,965 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:17 AM

^ feflicker

Ya ive heard all of that (and I believe it) but if the dev wont do it because its too much work to fit it in there, maybe its time to up the disk size.

I see your side but if its time to accommodate game makers.....I mean I want that stuff in PGR4. And I dont want it 2 years from now while they're trying to squeeze data.

Edited by Heet, 31 July 2007 - 01:18 AM.

#9 ethanknepp

ethanknepp

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:18 AM

the 360 is already starting to cripple .... if PGR4 is having trouble fitting on DL discs then how the hell does Halo3 fit on DL discs ?

#10 FCTE

FCTE

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:22 AM

I don't understand why MS just doesn't use the HD DVD format for games. It looks like Bluray is going to win the format war for movies, so maybe MS should buy off HD DVD and use it for games. Maybe the current 360s with a patch could utilize the USB HD DVD player for games. I don't know if the USB may be too much of a bottleneck or not.

This really blows, what about the future of 360 games? dry.gif

I guess I should start building a new gaming PC.

Edited by FCTE, 31 July 2007 - 01:33 AM.

#11 skEwb

skEwb

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:23 AM

QUOTE(ethanknepp @ Jul 30 2007, 07:54 PM) View Post

the 360 is already starting to cripple .... if PGR4 is having trouble fitting on DL discs then how the hell does Halo3 fit on DL discs ?

You mean Halo 1 with new levels.

#12 xcalixxryderx

xcalixxryderx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:28 AM

well they better do somthin cause i would hate to see em usin 2 disks like some of the ps1 games

#13 popley

popley

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:33 AM

I didn't mind the ps1 multi disk games.

#14 tabsaid

tabsaid

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE(FCTE @ Jul 30 2007, 08:58 PM) View Post

I don't understand why MS just doesn't use the HD DVD format for games. It looks like Bluray is going to win the format war for movies, so maybe MS should buy off HD DVD and use it for games. Maybe the current 360s with a patch could utilize the USB HD DVD player for games. I don't know if the USB may be too much of a bottleneck or not.

Then they better give me and everyone else a free HD-DVD drive. Or my 400$ console will really be obsolete. Now you can see why this isn't an option. Should have been built in from launch, too late now.

Edited by tabsaid, 31 July 2007 - 01:39 AM.

#15 [TR]

[TR]

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:36 AM

QUOTE(skEwb @ Jul 31 2007, 01:59 AM) View Post

You mean Halo 1 with new levels.

And that's 10% of each level repeated 10 times.
I bet the box will read "Enhanced with Super Compressed Expansive Levels™".
They could fit it on a CD of they wanted to, but those HD cutscenes are a bitch.

If this were Sony news I guess this thread would already be about 5x fuller of "I knew it. Sony sucks".
Not that I think MS sucks for this. It's their call, and it wasn't a really bad one.
My 360 overheating, now that's a bad call on their part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users