majik655

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:35 AM

Doesn't the wiikey already have the bios or code flashed... the setup disk ONLY starts it up? I did not think the wiikey setup disk FLASHES the bios? In fact it changes the eeprom doesn't it?

Also..
MicroMods - this raid was not because of the xbox.. mainly it was for the wii... BUT while they are at it.. they might as well go for all that they find.

decline1822 - who cares about booting GC Homebrew?? well I do.. since there is a media player for it..
guess what one of the uses are for .. for me installing a wii modchip.. TO PLAY MEDIA FILES ON IT!!!

ALMOST EVERY item anywhere sold and/or purchased can be used for BAD intentions..
Think of anything.. such as
alarm clock - set off a device (bomb) or just wake me up in the morning on time
slim jim - break into a car or save my dumbass because I locked my keys in my car
pc virus (trojans) - screw my computer or use it another way like opening backdoors to my pc to use remotely and to controll (back office anyone lol)

Point is.. we as people or citizens need to make this a major part of who and why we vote for people in office.. because as we are seeing.. if laws are made that can HINDER this way of life.. then basically nothing is stopping the "government" as a whole from making us do whatever they want us to do the way they want it done. Dress this way.. buy these items... use them this way ONLY!

The other problem is why is it not illegal for microsoft to be in existence... because we know for a fact..
Gates himself has backwards engineered things to get where he is today.. you can't backwards engineer things without using someones code for at least a second.. or circumventing security to LEARN how it works.
IF we are not allowed to do this.. then we will not thrive technology wise. EVERYONE looks and learns by everyone, we would also not be able to have competition.. clones... or what have you.

#62 A modder

A modder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:09 AM

I am hoping that these raids aren't ushering in a new era of copy right protection
and anti-modding movements errr something along the lines of that.

#63 Altima NEO

Altima NEO

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, XBox, 360, PSP, Dreamcast, 3D Graphics & Animation
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:10 AM

So weve been dealing with this POS DMCA for nearly 10 years now. Its obviously not cutting it, for there have been so many issues with it since its conception. We need to do something about it.

#64 shadowth

shadowth

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:10 AM

I've been trying to reach teammodders, but I just get a 403! sad.gif They helped me a lot, specially when I ventured myself into the PS2 modding.

I am truly sorry for those guys. It is really a shame something like this happened.

#65 omega2468

omega2468

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:15 AM

Feel bad for them too. That and the people that bought from these sites. Or are they only going after the sellers and not the buyers?

#66 SpankIt

SpankIt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:31 AM

I do installs in Canada. I do not believe that this is right in any way but anyone who denies the fact that their customers are only using their products for piracy is simply naive. Piracy is a serious issue. a good %90 of my customers do not use their installed modchips for the Wii and 360 as ways to enable them to run homebrew. The other %10 are mostly parents wanting to protect their $70CAD investments in the games they buy for their kids. Any installer claiming otherwise is simply an idiot. I believe in homebrew and the advancement of gaming consoles. But the statistics are there. The only way that Canada can keep our rights to modchips is if people change their way of thinking towards the modchips and what they allow. It's just too easy and tempting for people to make and/or sell pirated copies of games for it to ever work perfectly. We can't blame the people trying to protect their multi million dollar investments. Rather than bitching at M$ and Nintendo. Grab a bat and beat the snot out of the guy next door selling backups. They are the real reason for all of these raids.

First stop, this guys house
QUOTE(Lush @ Aug 1 2007, 08:41 PM) View Post

its great to live in canada... we don't care about copyrights and piracy here... =)

It's attitudes like that that will have our rights for modchips taken away.

#67 MOfoSlayer

MOfoSlayer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:52 AM

teammodders.com got shutdown. I went to their website and got a 403 Forbidden error.

teammodders was awesome they fixed and (some word that begins with m) my PS2. They did it for a good price too.

I hate the government so much. America just gets worse and worse every day because of the government doing stupid stuff.

When I can afford it I'm going to Canada.

#68 asnagrim

asnagrim

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:58 AM

You should all move to Australia.
It is completely legal to install/use mods over here except for 360s.
Click here for info on australian modchip laws
Thats how it should be for the rest of the world.

#69 SupaDawg

SupaDawg

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:02 AM

I really do hope llamma and mcm get away clean. Llamma, while ghastly overpriced, was a fantastic source of information as well as repair parts to the community. and MCM has quickly become my chip vender of choice.

Both would be missed and it would be a damn shame to lose either one.

#70 xlordx

xlordx

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:14 AM

Ughh...I tore that little label off my mattress oh no there coming...... jester.gif

#71 ߥ

ߥ

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:25 AM

This is what happened when a government have to much power over the people.
The so call ICE squad doing shit like this, arent they sopposed be looking for more interesting people like terrorist?

Man this G.O.V is becoming more like places like russia and places that you only see on movies. You want more info on how scary is becoming watch V for vandetta laugh.gif

And yet this is the land of the free, and the land of corrupt lawmakers and lobbyist paying lawmakers under the table to pass shit/laws like this.

If congress was runs like this in other country they would be hung by the people. But that wont happend here why because they'll be called terrorist.

Case in point have you read the news some months ago in CHINA the chief of their FDA was hung by the Chinese government because he was doing backroom deals with the Pharmaceutics Companies for new medicine that kill some people.

What happend here in the good old USA?? those people get promoted and get millions on paybacks.

Anyway people just like Appleguru said on his post WAKE UP.

#72 beandip

beandip

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:43 AM

and just think i bout a wii i just stuck money in nitendo's pocket to help this out what a dummy i am

#73 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:59 AM

Screw the games, my xbox is modified solely for XBMC's vast features.
I've been slowly ripping my DVD's to the hdd since my 3 year old son has killed so many discs it's not even funny.
Too many discs scratched beyond repair is the reason I'm backing up his movies to the hdd and storing the originals on the shelf.
QUOTE(appleguru @ Aug 1 2007, 08:55 PM) View Post

Yes, OTB Mods was included in the raids. I'm out of the country atm, so I wasn't around for the raid... but it sounds like they took everything.

Did you update your site or did "they?"

Edited by Alex548, 02 August 2007 - 09:02 AM.

#74 j0ey

j0ey

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:08 AM

I wonder if they raided microchip.com tongue.gif

Heavy fines and probation are likely... probably around $1,000 per violation (per chip, device. or flashed 360). If they were caught with back-ups with intent to sell... jail time is in their future.

#75 cbs071379

cbs071379

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:13 AM

does anyone think they are going to go after the consumers too or just the sellers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users