• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:56 PM

Btw @ apple,
Why were you downgraded to "members"?

Think about it. If they took his PC equipment there is a chance they could log in here with full Mod Privs

I hardly think us having a list would be different than the one the goverment already has...

Any ones mentioned here would be the very public ones... public is visible thats the bottom line.

And the point in taking that chance?
Lists are compiled from all sorts of information and however small the chance there is no point in a list that could potentially jeopardise someones business.

Edited by Chancer, 02 August 2007 - 05:00 PM.

#92 Nerve555

Nerve555

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE(Rustmonkey @ Aug 2 2007, 02:07 PM) View Post

@ Appleguru

So you said they took EVERYTHING??? Including your inventory that WASNT modchips? Thats bogus - how the hell does a faceplate infringe on copyrights?

Look Here:

http://www.se7ensins...lgc-vs-fbi.html

He put scanned the search warrant and the items taken. mad.gif

#93 itchy

itchy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:36 PM

I talked to one store owner and was informed the feds want him to come in today and retrieve his equipment. he's not sure if that also involves an arrest.

#94 Loy

Loy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:38 PM

would you go back and retrieve the equipment?

#95 itchy

itchy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:50 PM

I'd probably go talk to a lawyer first. heck, if they want to arrest someone, they'll do it anyway.

#96 xess

xess

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(itchy @ Aug 2 2007, 07:26 PM) View Post

heck, if they want to arrest someone, they'll do it anyway.

Exactly. If he is to be arrested then would they not just go to his store/home and pick him up?

#97 quenlin

quenlin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:02 PM

Just once I'd like to see modchip discussion without the homebrew idiots yapping about the legal uses of modchips.

Clearly modchips should be illegal. Why? Because even though it is possible to use it only for 100% legal purposes, the OVERWHELMING majority of people use them for piracy. Unfortunately, thats just the way it is. If you created something that was used for illegal purposes 98% of the time, can you honestly say that it should be legal, just because a microscopic amount of people wouldn't use it illegally? Of course not. Sometimes you have to examine something that's in a gray area, and just make a call on something. Making them illegal is just the right thing to do.

So in review:

Homebrew whiners - No, your xbox isn't designed to be a media center. Yes, it's cool that it is. For every one of you that use your chip for that only, 10,000 people don't.

Backup whiners - No, xbox games are not designed to be copied. Yes, I know you can legally backup your games. Have you ever played a backup you didn't own? ever? even once? Anyone who can answer that question 'Yes', congrats. That's about .000001% of you. The rest of you are thieves.

#98 Eksyte

Eksyte

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(quenlin @ Aug 2 2007, 07:38 PM) View Post

Clearly modchips should be illegal. Why? Because even though it is possible to use it only for 100% legal purposes, the OVERWHELMING majority of people use them for piracy. Unfortunately, thats just the way it is. If you created something that was used for illegal purposes 98% of the time, can you honestly say that it should be legal, just because a microscopic amount of people wouldn't use it illegally? Of course not. Sometimes you have to examine something that's in a gray area, and just make a call on something. Making them illegal is just the right thing to do.

I disagree. The people who don't engange in software theft shouldn't lose out because other people do.

#99 coldasice

coldasice

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:17 PM

Wow, this sucks. I feel for the guys who got raided in this one. I truly hope you all come out of this in one piece. The whole matter stems from a textbook shady law. Very little detail about what items are allowed and arn't. I honestly think its time that we stood up for these modchips. Do what you want with them, thats not a sellers fault. Its easy to compare them to guns and killing people as opposed to guns for hunting. We need something a little more realistic. This will go on forever unless we take a stand. I'm not just some anti-government buff going on about how we need to change. I'm saying this for real. This site alone has over 35,000 members if I remember correctly. We can do plenty of things to help these guys out like get some national media coverage, start a petition, just get a grassroots movement going. If you want to help me with this just send me a pm.

#100 ߥ

ߥ

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE(death trap @ Aug 2 2007, 09:07 AM) View Post

Im so glad im in Europe, the government here could never pull their finger outa their arses long enoght to do anything about piracy.

I feel for you poor fuckers in the states, you got war on everything.

war on terror
war on drugs
war on piracy
war to make sure everyone

what's next war on fluffy bunnies?

Your country is fucked up, i would be afraid to go outside in case i got involve in one of your wars, or converted by some TV evangelists.

You people need to rise up and wipe out the rich right wing christian fuckwits that run your contry.

If the French can do it im sure you can.

Wow death trap well said.

Im here in the good old usofA and yes you right were fuck in this country.
Our lawmakers are under big business and TV evangelists pockets.

Yes we got all kind of wars here war on terror
war on drugs
war on piracy
war to make sure everyone

what's next war on fluffy bunnies?

oh you forgot war on religions.

If i had the $$$ i would move to a different country that all people are equal. Yes even Canada and France jester.gif

#101 Albut35

Albut35

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:59 PM

Team-Xecuter is back up! http://team-xecuter.com/ but it looks like they are finished with modchips

And the ICE website has a photo gallery of stuff they found.. http://www.ice.gov/p...chive/index.htm

#102 handles25

handles25

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:16 PM

I don't think having PIC's sitting around should be a crime. That's being a bit too obtuse.

#103 ThE MaSTeR 3

ThE MaSTeR 3

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:19 PM

OMG I have a flashed drive I hope my house doesn't get raided!! laugh.gif

#104 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(appleguru @ Aug 2 2007, 10:52 AM) View Post

The applicable law here (The USC 17 1201 and 1204) says that it's illegal to "manufacture, import, offer to the public, provide, or otherwise traffic in" devices and services whose primary function is to circumvent a copy protection measure on a digital work.

And so, if you consider a modchip as falling under that definition (and I do NOT; clearly others think otherwise...), then it's illegal to make, sell, or offer to anyone else. But buying them (at least domestically where no importing is involved) is not covered, and is therefore (technically anyways) legal.

really it depends what constitutes "primary use" is that YOUR primary use or the "primary use" of people who own that device.

The problem is that the DMCA is just too damn broad. under the DMCA you could very easily shut down microchip and Atmel, and if you're crafty enough you could stretch it to Dell and other computer manufacturers as they're "manufactured" and constitute "part" of the copyright circumvention system, but then we come back to primary use.

Really what it comes down to is that the DMCA is broad enough to cover everything under the sun allowing ICE and DHS or whoever to to just pick who they want to raid with little or no real foundation.

I forget who said it but I rember someone saying that the US had a system of for boxes: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the ammo box... use in that order.

It's pretty clear that the soap box and the ballot box have failed to deliver a copyright law that actually works in the interest of the creative individuals who actually create copyrighted materials or even the interests of the American citizens.

The next step is the Jury box...

Most people don't really understand this concept but the idea of a jury isn't just to determine whether or not a person broke the law but to question if the law is actually lawfull and worth having. It's part of our check and balance system and a major reason why most copyright issues are settled out of court. The ESA/RIAA/MPAA all propose ridiculous lawsuits and then make what looks like a sweet settlement deal to get people to settle, because if it ever went to court and they LOST it would set a presidence that future cases could use to win in the same fashion.

If you go back through all of the major RIAA cases you'll see that 99% of the time they never made it to court due to a settlement, and in the few times it did go to court the RIAA either dropped the case or modified the charges.

I realize this is your life we're talking about here but if we really want to see a difference we need a solid legal showing in the courts to correct the evil media spin and expose the ridiculousness that is the DMCA as well as set a presidence for future DMCA issues in the courts.

#105 Eksyte

Eksyte

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:55 PM

I realize this is your life we're talking about here but if we really want to see a difference we need a solid legal showing in the courts to correct the evil media spin and expose the ridiculousness that is the DMCA as well as set a presidence for future DMCA issues in the courts.

Too true.

Seems like the people who were caught today are going to take the fall for the rest of us. With that in mind, I'm wondering what we can do to help them out. Seems like a fund for legal fees would be most appropriate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users