#1 ultrasonicsite

ultrasonicsite

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:11 PM

I'm attempting to do the NDURE tutorial but I seem to have two problems.

1. I am unsure what the xbox HD should be set to, and what the CD/DVD drive should be set to.

2. The ISO Linux CD thing I burned, after which I press 1 to start VGA mode, works when I HAVEN'T swapped the XBHD to the "Main', or primary, connecion (On top of the connecter where the CD/DVD drive is put) but when I follow the instructions and swap before pressing one and then actually do, I get some sort of "Boot Error"

Also one last question, doing it the other way around may still work right? Putting the CD/DVD drive on the main connecter, and the HD on the second?

I have version 1.6

Edited by ultrasonicsite, 02 August 2007 - 07:13 PM.

#2 ultrasonicsite

ultrasonicsite

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:02 PM

A little bit of researching has led me to believe that I'm supposed to use TWO SEPERATE IDE cables? The one for the HD and the one for the CD devices?

Edited by ultrasonicsite, 02 August 2007 - 08:02 PM.

#3 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:08 PM

Hi,

make sure you have the boot order set in your pc bios to cdrom first.

disable auto detection of the harddisks in your bios.

Even with everything done like that, their still are some motherboards that have trouble with hotswapping.

You should connect the xbox drive to the primary ide controller and the cdrom to the secundary ide controller. Don't connect both to the same cable.

regards.

#4 ultrasonicsite

ultrasonicsite

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:30 PM

Thanks a lot, you just saved me from wasting the little 3 hours I have left, I'm kind of on a secret mission you see, and if anyone of my parents knew what I was doing they'd freak =P

Let's hope that the worst that can happen is just my xbox hardrive exploding.

Thanks again!

#5 ultrasonicsite

ultrasonicsite

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:13 PM

[edit, shall switch the cable config around, so Xbox is connected to primary, but can someone confirm anything else that may be wrong?]
[double edit, hurray for ignorance!] I'll set it to not detect HDs

Alright so here's the basic setup.

There are TWO IDE cables, both of which have a "Master" slot and a "Slave" slot.

The CD/DVD seems to be set to the FIRST/MAIN/PRIMARY/BEST/ETC IDE cable on the MASTER slot, and the CD/DVD drive has its "pins" set to master.

Once I unlock the XboxHD by playing a song for about 5 seconds and pausing it, I switch it to the MASTER slot of the SECOND IDE cable, the Xbox HD's pins is ALSO set to master

Those are the only 2 things connected to the computer, so if I were to boot it up without having the Xbox HD and the linux cd in the drive I would just get a "No Operating System Found" error.

The BIOS is set for AUTO in both IDE cables so it can automatically figure out whats connected there.

Once I have "Hot Swapped" the XBox HD and connected it to slot 2, I type 2 on the xbox linux thing and hit enter.

A whole bunch of text scrolls down and then I get to the "Main" screen.

I type xbrowser and hit enter and it searches one location and says.

QUOTE('xbox')
Looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hda
-- No disk drive found on /dev/hda
-- please connect and drive and try again

We will now seach /dev/hda for an xbox partition tables...
-- no xbox partition table found on /dev/hda

Done!!!
root@xbox-HDM:/2

Edited by ultrasonicsite, 02 August 2007 - 09:31 PM.

#6 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:41 PM

Hi,

You should connect them the other way. The CDROM to the secundary ide controller set as master on the cable master position and the harddisk on the primary controller set as master or cable select to the cable master position (the connector at the end of the cable)

Your pc should boot from the cd, even when the xbox harddisk is not connected to it.

You should not enable the hdd auto detection in your bios. Some biosses have trouble with that. xboxhdm should detect the disk even when it is not detected in the bios.

Things that can go wrong:

1. You can install a nonworking softmod. In that case, you xbox will boot into a error screen.
2. If you don't have a proper mass connection between your pc and your xbox, you can damage the harddisk, your xbox motherboard and (or) your pc motherboard.
3. Your parents might come to see what you are doing. smile.gif

regards.

#7 ultrasonicsite

ultrasonicsite

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:28 PM

Thanks! Success! Now, to install me hard drives >=D, erm, I assume I wont need to buy a Y-splitter thing for the power to the second HD because I have a pc with an unused connector right?

Wait a sec, is it even possible for me to add a new HD through unleash?

Edited by ultrasonicsite, 02 August 2007 - 10:37 PM.

#8 gtasaif

gtasaif

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Computer Hardwarez Gamez hangin out wit ma homiez
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:00 AM

QUOTE(ultrasonicsite @ Aug 2 2007, 06:04 PM) View Post

Thanks! Success! Now, to install me hard drives >=D, erm, I assume I wont need to buy a Y-splitter thing for the power to the second HD because I have a pc with an unused connector right?

Wait a sec, is it even possible for me to add a new HD through unleash?

installing new hd's is simple but and excruciating task takes no time or it takes forever huh.gif

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=244043 this tells you how to do it though step by step i did it only thing i cant do is lock the hd back cuz it doesn't want to LOL jester.gif

3. Your parents might come to see what you are doing. smile.gif

good one biggrin.gif

Edited by gtasaif, 03 August 2007 - 05:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users