X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Modding<br />Networking<br />Linux
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:19 PM

hi I just got new ALPINE SPS-17C2 6.5" 2-WAY SPEAKERS 250W MAX for the rear deck of my car.
I installed them in my 98 corolla. They are powered by a JVC head unit 21RMS, the speakers can handle up to 50RMS.
When I play the speakers after a minute or so you smell a burning smell and the speaker grills are getting warm.
Anyone know whats going on?

Thanks,
-ruli00

#2 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:11 PM

What is the impedance of the speakers? Make sure the impedance is matched on both the Amp and the speakers. If the smell is coming from the speakers for sure then the voice coils are overheating. make sure the handling capacity of the speakers is in RMS as sometimes they are quoted as a max power figure which is significantly different to the RMS. If you have crossovers fitted check the wiring and polarity of the wiring.

#3 ruli00

ruli00

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:43 PM

all are 4 ohm and there are no crossovers, the smell is going away.
The speakers sound muffled compared to the stock speakers up front, almost like a low bit rate MP3.
Crossovers (bass blockers) stop lower frequencies from going to the speaker, right?
I want the speakers to put out alot of bass.

Thanks,
-ruli00

#4 CJLee89

CJLee89

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:06 AM

since you have a 2 way speaker the crossover are built in the speaker. and yes crossovers are used to make sure the tweeters get the highs and the woofer get the lows. but different than bass blockers.

just make sure your voice coil isnt burning. take them out and inspect them at low and high volume. also check that the speakers are all moving the same way at the same time. if they arent it is a sign of reverse polarity. (reversed wiring) but most of this is mentioned by chancer. i just added some ideas. smile.gif the ohms should match since most mids are all the same ohm rating.

Edited by CJLee89, 05 August 2007 - 03:09 AM.

#5 ubernewb

ubernewb

now 58% uber'er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:47 AM

running speakers out of phase won't damage them at all (unless they're subs sharing the same airspace, and even then it's marginal) .. the only drawback to wiring out of phase would be less bass, as the soundwaves would cancel each other out.

you said you want these speakers to put out a lot of bass.. what are your bass and loudness set at? also, at what volume did you notice the problem.. my guess here is that you're overdriving the deck, which is clipping out the speakers

too little power is more harmful than too much..

#6 ruli00

ruli00

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:50 AM

I'm using these speakers http://www.crutchfie...mp;I=500SPS17C2
and

this head unit http://www.crutchfie...amp;I=257KDHDR1

The bass can be set anywhere its not very loud at any setting
I notice the problem at all volume levels

My tweeters get very very hot after a few minutes, this is only on the rear speakers. Then the smell comes back.

Thanks,
-ruli00

#7 CJLee89

CJLee89

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(ubernewb @ Aug 7 2007, 11:23 PM) View Post

running speakers out of phase won't damage them at all (unless they're subs sharing the same airspace, and even then it's marginal) .. the only drawback to wiring out of phase would be less bass, as the soundwaves would cancel each other out.

you said you want these speakers to put out a lot of bass.. what are your bass and loudness set at? also, at what volume did you notice the problem.. my guess here is that you're overdriving the deck, which is clipping out the speakers

too little power is more harmful than too much..

i was saying out of phase might be the bass problem smile.gif
and i wish everyone knew that too little power is alot worse than too much. lol good point

so the bass isnt there but the highs and voices are good?

Edited by CJLee89, 08 August 2007 - 07:57 PM.

#8 ruli00

ruli00

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE(CJLee89 @ Aug 8 2007, 04:28 PM) View Post

i was saying out of phase might be the bass problem smile.gif
and i wish everyone knew that too little power is alot worse than too much. lol good point

so the bass isnt there but the highs and voices are good?

yea highs and voices are good
Its just when a bass guitar odr drums start going, the speakers will move and look like its really working but theres no bass.

I think I got it for the heat problem, I found a small piece of metal on one of the terminals touching my car frame on both speakers.......
....30 dremel seconds later and they don't get hot anymore. But the bass still sucks. I think I need some baffles or somthing.

-ruli00

#9 CJLee89

CJLee89

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

will the speakers fit in the front door? if so try them there and see if anything improves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users