• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:15 PM

Toshiba releases 3 new HD DVD players under 500usd
Posted by XanTium | August 6 13:15 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From arstechnica.com:

As the format battle rages on, today Toshiba announced three new HD DVD players: the HD-A3, the HD-A30, and the HD-A35.

Toshiba's third generation of HD DVD players are all priced lower than the cheapest Blu-ray drives I could manage to find online. Why Toshiba decided to launch three new players at once is unknown, but it's likely because it's trying to crowd up store shelves with the lower-priced HD-DVDs in order to draw consumer attention away from Blu-ray Disc Association, which recently announced five free movies with the purchase of a player, a promotion that matches Toshiba's own five disc giveaway.

Full Story: arstechnica.com

#2 cerealkillajme

cerealkillajme

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:52 PM

Go Toshiba/HD-DVD!!! smile.gif

Really I don't care who wins, but I just wish one format would win so I can get serious about replacing my collection. I'd prefer HD-DVD to win, but either way I just wish the format war would end.

It's good to at least see one company trying to put affordable players on the market. smile.gif

Edited by cerealkillajme, 06 August 2007 - 05:54 PM.

#3 lightsp33d

lightsp33d

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:55 PM

The HD-A3, HD-A30 and HD-A35 players will retail for $299, $399 and $499 respectively. The cheaper HD-A3 will only have 720p and 1080i, whereas the top two will reach all the way up to 1080p.

#4 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:26 PM

Read this a while ago (.. i think.. lol).

I agree with cerealkillajme... I just want one format to win so I can finally get to starting my collection!

I have the HD-DVD addon for 360.. It's actually completely in pieces right now. lol.

P.S. Not that this article isn't interesting... but it's completely unrelated to Xbox/360. lol. Unless you wanna stretch it and say hd-dvd > microsoft > xbox/360. But then you could start posting Vista news for that matter rolleyes.gif

#5 steveju

steveju

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:44 PM

More news released means more people go read the news. biggrin.gif

I'm also tired of this "war" that's going on. I hope they'd agree on one format and end this damn thing. However, if Blu-ray wins, I think they should rename it to include the DVD-part in it from last/current-gen (eg. BD DVD or something). IMO the current name is really confusing. That's why I'm rooting for HD DVD, since I can be quite sure that the next-next-gen will have DVD in it's name. What's the next-next-gen on Blu-ray? Cyan-ray?

CD > DVD > DL DVD > Blu-Ray

#6 Altima NEO

Altima NEO

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, XBox, 360, PSP, Dreamcast, 3D Graphics & Animation
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:05 PM

Still too expensive. mad.gif

#7 penguin318

penguin318

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE(Altima NEO @ Aug 6 2007, 07:41 PM) View Post

give it 5 years then you can take ur cheap ass to wal-mart and get 1 for $29.99

#8 poopsickle

poopsickle

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:50 PM

hd-dvd FTW~!!!

#9 Boydster

Boydster

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:59 PM

Seems to me they're just digging the whole they're in even deeper.

Even my dad relates next gen movies to Blu-Ray, and he knows next to nothing about what's going on out there.

#10 Ninja Sniper X

Ninja Sniper X

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:46 PM

That explains how I got my A-20 for $230 on Amazon.com last week... lol super timing isn't it. Oh well I don't mind it, I till love this bad boy. Just watched Hot Fuzz and 300 in their HD glory and my god I'm in love. love.gif

#11 tummybanana

tummybanana

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:36 AM

i must admit i am well happy with the addon for the xbox.....
blu ray still smacks of a half assed idea to me....am just waiting for bd+ to be hacked just to see the reactions from the likes of fox and disney

ill stick with hd dvd...its cheap quality is excellent for the price and no hype (well not too much)
and roll on battlestar galactica!

#12 ewok666

ewok666

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:58 AM

QUOTE(cerealkillajme @ Aug 6 2007, 06:28 PM) View Post

Really I don't care who wins, but I just wish one format would win so I can get serious about replacing my collection. I'd prefer HD-DVD to win, but either way I just wish the format war would end.

Sooo true!

Why would anyone support this incredible mess? You buy HDDVD and that becomes obsolete or you buy Blue Ray and that goes down the hill.....or they both survive and you need two players...or a dual format player...or dual format disks....or, or, or WHAT??????

I assume a large number of people will be downloading the ripped HDDVD and Blue Ray versions from the Internet for that very reason.....who would want to sink hundreds or thousands of $ into this mess? Any I thought things were bad when we had DVD-R and DVD+R!!!

Cheers

#13 rosewater

rosewater

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE(Altima NEO @ Aug 6 2007, 07:41 PM) View Post

cool.gif I hope these formats all survive,because competiton can give buyer cheap,and wish there more captrue softwares like moyea dvd ripper,then we can see movies anywhere,any time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users