• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 greenblob

greenblob

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:51 AM

Have been trolling the forums for a simmilar post but am yet to find one.. Apologies if i just overlooked (link me if i did).
very fast recap of the leadup..
360 suffered the 3RoD. Tightened xclamp with pliers (slightly bent for alittle extra pressure) and this worked for 2 months. 3RoD returned.. got serious and did the Xclamp MKIII fix.. now heres the problem..
Hardware fault is gone.. but when booting 360 it instantly goes into "im overheating" mode. ie: fans speed up too max and system shuts down cept for the upper and lower left ring led blinking smugly.. system shuts down to this state after approx 6sec from power on.
i have replace quite a few heatsinks so am very confidant in my thermal paste procedure (arcticsilver5), my only concern is, have i damaged something with the xclamp bolt down fix? if so? what? seems odd to hurt the internal thermistor.. but i know the 360 is a "unique" beast.. so nothing would suprise me..
any help would be much appreciated.. im sure im not the only one who has suffered this result after a semi sucessful repair (fix one issue.. made another.. sweet).
one more thing.. have left the 360 unplugged for 24hrs and on first boot have the exact same 6sec routine till shutdown.. ooo.. and its never been towel fixed either..
thanks..

#2 superbee

superbee

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Xbox 360,Xbox,PS2 repairs for Canadians EH!
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:53 AM

I know that your familiar with the thermal paste application but I would say try it again make sure it all clean, spread the thermal paste out before installing heatsinks, even a same piece of lint will make it overheat.

#3 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:27 AM

Your heat sinks are probably too loose.

#4 benfinkel

benfinkel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:50 PM

I had this same issue after I first did the mod.

It turned out that I had too many washers between the nut and the CPU's heatsink arms. I had to drop to two washers. I wasn't getting good contact between the HS and the Die. Once I pulled a washer off I could "rock" the HSF on the die, so I knew I had better contact.

#5 hacktek

hacktek

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:55 AM

Yup, the overheating lights usually mean that the heatsinks are too loose and not making good contact with the cpu and/or gpu.

#6 pimpmaul69

pimpmaul69

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:06 AM

can someone tell me what mkii and mkiii means?? i keep seeing this on the x-clamp mod threads but dont know what it means

#7 buztabuzt

buztabuzt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:29 AM

Have the same problem. I had an xbox where the graphics would not display properly but the audio worked fine. So i figured GPU problem - might as well try X-Clamp fix (only did GPU).

I originally turned it on and it displayed properly for 5 minutes or so. I rejoiced, and assumed all was well.

When I came back the next day to reunite with my xbox I turned it on and within 10 seconds got two red lights for overheating.

Did anyone have any luck fixing it? I will be tryin to adjust heatsink shortly. Thanks.

#8 ckw0n

ckw0n

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:45 PM

I had the exact same issue. I spent about 15 hours total trying to fix it, before I just said "fuck it".

If someone has anything more to suggest, or has an luck I'd be willing to try the fix again.

#9 mark1973

mark1973

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE(ckw0n @ Sep 24 2008, 04:21 PM) View Post

I had the exact same issue. I spent about 15 hours total trying to fix it, before I just said "fuck it".

If someone has anything more to suggest, or has an luck I'd be willing to try the fix again.

Hi Mate
You need to heatgun both chips and the ram chips
But be carefull

I use a profesional 900 degree heatgun with the correct nozel

I actually heat the board both sides until the board warps and then let to cool

Then try the xclamp mod again using just metal washers

good luck

#10 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:25 PM

For the overheating first locate the part that is actually overheating and get the secondary error code, then proceed as suggested here, depending on your error code:
-> 0011 0012 0013

#11 zen0

zen0

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:53 PM

I recently had the same problem (used Wilhelm's Tut) and I noticed that the gpu heatsink did not have any thermal paste contact with the gpu core. Check to see if the paste is making good contact with the gpu heatsink (apply, place, then lift and check the heatsink).

If it is then I have no idea why it is not working (maybe too much paste?) huh.gif

If it is NOT making any contact then I think (if you're using Wilhelm's tutorial like I am) the cards or the tape are too thick. Maybe if you sand down the card like Wilhelm suggests or use thinner transparent tape it might help.

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=662224

As I am lazy, I decided to just remove the card bits and tapes, and hope that it will last long...
If I had noticed this topic sooner I would have posted here tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users