X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Interests:Computers, modding, xbox, guitar, dirt bikes, drums
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:50 AM

Hello recently all the skins I have uploaded to my xbox result in a blank skin.ini file. when I open the skin.ini file with notepad it shows it as completely blank. Also when I go to the option menu to change the skin there are a bunch of blank spots for how ever many blank skin.ini files I have.

I have tried to transfer the skin.ini file over and over again and it always turns blank.

Any ideas why?

EDIT:

I just tried FTPing the skin.ini file to a different folder on my F partition and it still makes the skin.ini files blank. So no matter where I upload a skin.ini file it turns blank. I also tried renaming the file to dhks.ini and it still ends up blank.. I have been editing my evox.ini file and thankfully that hasnt turned blank yet.

OOPS, forgot to mention that I am using FlashFXP to FTP the skin.ini file.
I am going to try with windows explorer right now and see if it works to FTP with that instead of FlashFXP.

EDIT:

Okay just did some more testing... I tried saving the skin.ini as a skin.txt file but it still ended up turning blank. I decided to try some random .txt file I had laying around and when I FTPed that all went well and it stayed the same way... So I decided to take that same .txt file and copy over all the stuff that the skin.ini file had in it.. I saved it as the same name as before, FTPed it to the xbox, and sad.gif it turned blank... So it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the name of the file but what text it contains inside it. This is messed up sad.gif

Edited by dan_plus_o, 08 August 2007 - 05:02 AM.

#2 dan_plus_o

dan_plus_o

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:48 PM

I tried FTPing the skin.ini file using Windows explorer and they still end up turning blank.

#3 dan_plus_o

dan_plus_o

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:04 PM

I found a way to get around it but it really really sucks..

What I have to do is copy a working skin.ini file to another folder (Through a xbox file browser) then I have to use the text editor in UnleashedX to change the skin.ini file so it works with the new images.

So I am not FTPing andything but makeing a new skin.ini file using just the xbox.

If anyone knows a way to open up a text file through ftp and then edit it that would be a lot better cause then I could edit it on my computer. I tried doing that with windows explorer but I can't figure out how to save over the original one.

#4 apocalypsegene

apocalypsegene

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:42 PM

The only thing I can think of is that you're transferring the txt files as binary. Some ftp software just defaults to that xfer format. That wouldn't explain Windows Explorer doing it also. *shrugs* I'm not sure. First, try another ftp program. Start with something simple like wsftp and see if that works.

#5 dan_plus_o

dan_plus_o

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:34 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded the wsftp trial and the skin.ini files still turn blank when FTPed to the xbox.

It's really annoying cause I have about 40 skins that I want to transfer over.

I forgot to mention... The other day I was FTPing the skin.ini file to my xbox over and over again and this one time the skin.ini file did not turn blank.. This only happens like 1 out of 30 times though.

Edited by dan_plus_o, 15 August 2007 - 04:46 AM.

#6 dan_plus_o

dan_plus_o

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:29 AM

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I figured it out..

I feel like a moron for not trying this earlier.

The problem is with evox. I loaded up XBMC and then tried FTPing the skin.ini file over and it FTPed over just fine. So all is good now biggrin.gif I just have to boot up XBMC from now on whenever I FTP over skins.

Edited by dan_plus_o, 15 August 2007 - 05:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users