Photo

Bad Drive Dont Spin At All. Hack It Or Let Ms Fix It ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bL33d

bL33d

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:35 PM

My 360 works fine other then the drive does not work heres my question i like learning about this stuff its been awhile but i installed a modchip in my old psone. and ofcourse made my own back up disks.

But my thought process is its $99 to send it to ms to be repaired or have fun and try to get a new drive and flash it so it works and plays backups. am i talking similar money here or more money to replace the drive myself via firmware hacks....

#2 wassco

wassco

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:33 PM

Lets add to that logic..

Option #1 - Shell out 90 to send to M$ and (get it fixed)(keeping warranty intact)
Option # 2 - Hack it, void any warranty, no more M$ Fixing...with a 25% chance of fixing it (drive u currently have)(Shouldnt cost n e thing i think)
Option # 3 - Buy another drive from the net, read 1 of hundreds of posts on how to spoof/change the drive (best option i say honestly)(cheaper then $90 repair option)

just my two cents...

Edited by wassco, 09 August 2007 - 11:38 PM.

#3 bL33d

bL33d

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE(wassco @ Aug 10 2007, 12:09 AM) View Post

Lets add to that logic..

Option # 3 - Buy another drive from the net, read 1 of hundreds of posts on how to spoof/change the drive (best option i say honestly)(cheaper then $90 repair option)

just my two cents...

So is it a rather easy process ?? I would still open case so any warranty would be voided? looks like drives are about $70 on ebay......

#4 bL33d

bL33d

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:52 AM

And if it dont spin is there a chance its just the motor? is that a possablility or would that be more trouble then its worth?

#5 superunkn0wn

superunkn0wn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE(bL33d @ Aug 9 2007, 06:11 PM) View Post

My 360 works fine other then the drive does not work heres my question i like learning about this stuff its been awhile but i installed a modchip in my old psone. and ofcourse made my own back up disks.

But my thought process is its $99 to send it to ms to be repaired or have fun and try to get a new drive and flash it so it works and plays backups. am i talking similar money here or more money to replace the drive myself via firmware hacks....

Since you have to pay for the repairs I am guessing that you are out of warranty. Are you out of warranty for the ring of death problem (this warranty was extended to three years)? If not then voiding the warranty is not really an issue for you.

I am by no means an expert but it's really a personal decision. If I had the choice I would send it in for repairs first. There is a chance that they may repair/fix other issues with the console. I have heard that MS is fixing heating issues for consoles that are being sent it. Since you have not mentioned your drive version I cannot be sure but you may have to spoof your drive depending on your current drive version and the one that you can find online. $30 difference between buying a drive and fixing it yourself and having a certified technician repair it is worth it I think.

Once the drive is fixed you still have the option of flashing it later on. This is just my opinion. I am just a little risk averse. I hope this helps.

#6 gabe681

gabe681

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:34 PM

If you have never opened the xbox before, It should still be under warente. MS just increased the warentee period to 3yrs. I would try that option.

#7 myfranco

myfranco

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:42 PM

If you can,you buy the same drive and model and just swap pcb.If it's only the motor which doesn't work,it'll be a simple process.You don't need to flash in that case.

BTW,what your dvd drive and its model?

#8 -PK-

-PK-

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE(gabe681 @ Aug 10 2007, 06:10 PM) View Post

If you have never opened the xbox before, It should still be under warente. MS just increased the warentee period to 3yrs. I would try that option.

It's still 1 year warranty on everything that doesn't give 3RROD which has it's own 3 year coverage.

#9 bL33d

bL33d

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 03:03 AM

QUOTE(myfranco @ Aug 11 2007, 05:18 PM) View Post

If you can,you buy the same drive and model and just swap pcb.If it's only the motor which doesn't work,it'll be a simple process.You don't need to flash in that case.

Its a toshiba/samsung drive.

Im def guessing on the problem but it plays demos off the hdd all day long but will not read games or any disks as it just pulls them in does not spin at all and says insert disk.

Anychance i could just get a new motor for the drive and install that?

P.S i have taken consoles apart before and i build computers i know thats not really the same but i am not afraid of taken thigs apart and or flashing drives/vid cards muhaha.gif But would be sweet if it could be an easy motor swap......

Edited by bL33d, 12 August 2007 - 03:08 AM.

#10 LIVE Prophet

LIVE Prophet

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE(myfranco @ Aug 11 2007, 05:18 PM) View Post

That wouldn't work tho, because his 360 check for the drive key. It wouldn't match up if he just switched the pcb, he would have to flash the drive with his original key.

#11 myfranco

myfranco

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE(LIVE Prophet @ Aug 12 2007, 07:19 AM) View Post

That wouldn't work tho, because his 360 check for the drive key. It wouldn't match up if he just switched the pcb, he would have to flash the drive with his original key.

You're wrong.I have a sticky topic how to flash ms25&ms28 and i know what is what smile.gif
He just needs to swap the pcbs.The key is stored in the tsop32 chip which is soldered on the the pcb of the dvd drive.He takes the current pcb out and place it into the new drive.This will be much easier process if just the motor died.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users