• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 arcarocket

arcarocket

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:58 AM

I got an Xbox 360 (core, no 20 gb hard drive) and when I start up the unit it comes up in a "update failed" purplish screen and states, "Couldn't find our Xbox 360 Hard Drive. If your hard drive is attached contact customer support".

Do you know what causes this problem? I have no idea if this is a modded 360 or not, since I bought used.

#2 arcarocket

arcarocket

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:55 AM

Bump...

#3 xxposition59

xxposition59

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:23 AM

Hey, I have the same problem and wish there was a little more attention on this problem. I recently cleared my hard drive cache on a different xbox. I didn't plug it into the core when I was done however. When I booted up my core system, a purple screen came up and said "updating". There was a bar that briefly started filling up. It also tried to sign me into xbl. This purple screen then cut off into a new screen saying. Update failed. "Couldn't find your Xbox 360 Hard Drive. If the hard drive is attached, contact Xbox Customer Support or go to www.xbox.com/support." The weird thing is, the hard drive wasn't attached at this time. I figured, oh I'm retarded, I forgot to attach the hard drive. Then I realized I was playing a 360 game, and the game should boot up anyways. I reattached the hard drive after rebooting and came up into the same purple screen. I disconnected the internet, rebooted the router and modem, went through troubleshooting steps, but nothing happened except for the same screen. The hard drive was fine, I tested it on the other 360 and it booted up and I could get into my profile and stuff. Finally I broke down and called support. After about 5 departments they patched me through to the xbl department and told me to connect the xbox to the modem without routers or switches. I did so and still got the purple screen. They said it was a problem with the xbox and that I had to send it in. I couldn't because I had already voided the warranty. (removed the seal) I can't access the dashboard or anything. It's just the purple screen that has one button available (b, back) If you press this button the purple screen refreshes and you get four more available buttons that pop up on the lower screen. You can't press y or a. If you press b or x they grey out and aren't available to press anymore. At that point your stuck in the purple screen. No dashboard, no game.

Someone please help. I'm thinking I might have to do a software hack or put linux in to boot up the 360.

#4 arcarocket

arcarocket

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:21 PM

That is exactly my same problem.. but mine is simply out of the Warranty period.

Anyone help us?

#5 PotFarmer

PotFarmer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:48 PM

Give this a try, while your 360 is off, press and hold the the little white sync button. press the power button while holding sync, and keep holding the sync button until the dashboard appears.

that deletes a failed dash update. wink.gif

at least it should....

#6 arcarocket

arcarocket

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:36 AM

Thanks for the help but I tried that about 6 times and did nothing. I simply pushed the sync button and held it down the entire time while re-powering on the machine and simply came up to this exact same screen.

Have you tried and had any luck xxposition59

#7 xxposition59

xxposition59

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:14 PM

Yea, I saw that looking a google and gave it a try. Didn't work even after I tried it three times.

#8 xxposition59

xxposition59

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:16 PM

the dashboard also never appears. You can only get to the purple screen that says update failed. It happens right after the boot animation. Does anybody know what I can do?

#9 PotFarmer

PotFarmer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:47 PM

Hmm i don't really know whats going on, but if you turned it on one day and it gave you that screen, it is possible that something may have come loose from the motherboard, or something like that caused by motherboard warping. In any case, it couldn't hurt to try the 3 penny fix or an x clamp replacement to see what happens now.

I would suggest the 3 penny fix first, just because its much easier to do with things the average person has lying around. cool.gif

#10 arcarocket

arcarocket

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:00 PM

Seems to me it would be some sort of software issue on the motherboard instead of a hardware issue. Everything works great and the unit works perfectly, but seems to be some sort of software malfunction on the motherboard system. Anyone know if this is fixable?

#11 Bruc3LeeRoy

Bruc3LeeRoy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:26 PM

try barrow a friends 20Gb hard drive or buy one yourself and simply put it on your xbox and let it finish the update. Turn off the xbox take off the 20 gb hard drive and turn it back on and see if it lets you get to the dashboard... that should work happy.gif

#12 arcarocket

arcarocket

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:07 PM

I have a working hard drive from another xbox 360 I have and I reattach it and simple reboots and loads back to the same screen.

With or Without the hard drive I get this error.

#13 PotFarmer

PotFarmer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:37 PM

Like i said it cant hurt to try. tongue.gif

#14 xxposition59

xxposition59

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:25 PM

I did the x clamps replacement on a previous x box. This one had the same problem originally but I used the towel trick to fix it. I think I might try the towel trick again. If it works, then I'll have to go in and replace the x clamps with another mounting system. If not, then that means its not a problem with the motherboard warping.

#15 xxposition59

xxposition59

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:54 AM

bump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users