coldasice

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:12 PM

If you can slap a mod chip in solder style I think you can handle the install of your car stereo. A couple more tips before buying your speakers is to check and see if they mount from the top or bottom, buying the wrong ones is just a pain, I think most now days will go either way, but dont quote me on that. I belive crutchfield.com should have the info you need somewhere.

Doing the headunit is pretty straighforward, you can get the instructions, and wiring harness from Crutchfield if you buy a headunit from them, although I must say they are a tad overpriced. Luckily for you your front door speakers are 6 1/2 inch already, so you dont need an adapter. However you will in the back as they are 6x9s.

I paid a little over $500 for a set of Infinity speakers for my rear deck, and a 70 watt x 4 channel Alpine amp. Just to give you an idea of what you can get for the money, then again I tend to get the more expensive stuff.

You deffinatly need to find a balance of what you need/want from your system. You can't have a steak and champagne dinner on a pizza and beer budget, although most of us try to. If I were you I would do it piece by piece, maybe get a nice headunit and a good set of speakers for your rear deck for now, and wait until you get enough money to buy a set for the front, you know just work you way up to it.

Also when you install your amp run the power wire through the firewall where the rest go through, theres no need to drill a hole in it, although a fair ammount of people do.

#32 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I was talking to my friend (Lemon Crevice on these forums).. and he gave me some ideas.

I'm thinkin' I wanna go basically all Alpine...

Deck- Alpine 50W x 4
4 Speakers- Alpine Type Rs : $310
2 Subwoofers- Alpine Type Rs : $460
Amplifier- Alpine V-Power (For my 4 speakers) : $310

(Idk if I'm actually gonna go with those.. and if I do.. Idk if I'm going to get them from Best Buy)

I still need recommendations for-
2 tweeters
An amplifier for my subwoofers
A box for my subwoofers
Wires/Cables

As you can see.. this clearly doubled/triple my $500 budget.. But like I said, I may be able to do $1000.

For the record, I don't have any stock speakers in my 2 front doors... I'd have to cut my own holes and mount the speakers myself. But, I guess that's what I have my trusty ol' dremel for. lol

So yeah, I may just wait to do the "in-door" speakers.. That'll save me an extra $150+.

I'll probably start with a new deck first. Then maybe do the subwoofers/amp. Then do the rear speakers/amp. Then do the tweeters. Then do the "in-door" speakers.

Again, any recommendations/critiques/information would be helpful.

Thanks!

#33 ubernewb

ubernewb

now 58% uber'er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:59 AM

haha.. i love that i'm the guy mentioned whenever car gear comes up.. cool.gif

okie doke.. several things to think about here...

first off, $500 might be a bit rough to meet. especially if you're after quality.. for a full system (deck, 4 speakers, 4ch amp, subs, 2ch/mono amp) you could easily spend that on the install alone.. especially in an older car like that. you could do it yourself, but you need the proper tools and a bit of patience. stereo install in general isn't that hard to do, but it can be a pain in the arse. definately have a pack of smokes and some beer nearby for when you start to feel frustrated.. when you do (which should happen once or twice) just kick back and relax a little.. working thru your anger usually results in things getting broken.

if you get stuck, post up some pics of what's giving you trouble and i'll try and give you some ideas on how to work around it..

equipment wise... alpine's a solid choice. they've been in the game for a while and they are well known for quality components. the only thing i don't like are their type r subs... i've listened to them more times than i can count, and i have to say that i honestly prefer their type e subs instead.. i'm building 4 of their 10's into the back of my current car..

a few questions before we get started..

1. what kind of music do you listen to?

2. do you have an ipod? if so, how often do you listen to cd's?

3. do you want this to sound good for you, or everyone else? (ie. do you want the neighbors to know what your favorite song is?)

4. when you go see a band, do you like to be up close or more towards the back?

#34 jrl2222

jrl2222

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Xbox v1.6<br />Xbox v1.3

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:27 AM

Some of the items your asking for recommendations are dependent on what type of subs you get. I mean you can generailize somewhat but it's best to buy or build a box based on what the sub calls for. How much air space does it need.
The amp you could use any amp that meets the needs of the subs you pick of course brand recommendations would be good. I myself have been out of the car audio scene for a while since I got married and had a few kids so I can't really recommend anything except for your enclosure I would build something custom. If done well they always look better then off the shelf boxes.

#35 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:53 AM

QUOTE(ubernewb @ Aug 20 2007, 11:35 PM) View Post

1. what kind of music do you listen to?

Honestly, I listen to anything. Typically when I'm with my friends- rap. But if not rap, then rock. Really anything.

2. do you have an ipod? if so, how often do you listen to cd's?

Ipod, no. Zune, yes. CDs.. not often. Unless there's some type of advantage over using CDs than an MP3 player.

3. do you want this to sound good for you, or everyone else? (ie. do you want the neighbors to know what your favorite song is?)

Mainly for me. But it would be nice if it could get REALLY loud.. yet still crisp.

4. when you go see a band, do you like to be up close or more towards the back?

..Never been to a concert. lol. But I like the loud musicz. Going deaf and what not. It's fun. lol

#36 ubernewb

ubernewb

now 58% uber'er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:41 AM

QUOTE(sicknasty413 @ Aug 20 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Honestly, I listen to anything. Typically when I'm with my friends- rap. But if not rap, then rock. Really anything.

rap=12's then... should go sealed box though, as that will help when you decide to pop some rock in.. i prefer sealed 10's for rock, but they don't do as well for rap

Ipod, no. Zune, yes. CDs.. not often. Unless there's some type of advantage over using CDs than an MP3 player.

then i'd probably step the deck down one notch to the 9883.. the only difference is the display, and the 9885's only real main advantage is when scrolling thru an attached ipod.. and since nobody does an interface for zune...

Mainly for me. But it would be nice if it could get REALLY loud.. yet still crisp.

yeah, definately type r's amped then... lol

..Never been to a concert. lol. But I like the loud musicz. Going deaf and what not. It's fun. lol

only reason i ask is cuz i wanted to know how realistic you wanted it... better speakers with more power up front is more like going to a live show.. if you just want it loud, then you amp em all

i'd still consider some type e subs tho.. can play just as loud with the proper amp... nice thing is that the proper amp won't cost as much as the proper amp for the type r's... you can rail 2 type e 12's with a single mrp-m450 amp, where the type r's would prefer the mrp-m850.. so cheaper subs and cheaper amp..

Edited by ubernewb, 21 August 2007 - 05:41 AM.

#37 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:58 AM

Yeah, so IDK. I'd probably go with the Type R 12s. But again, Idk.

I'm kinda fond of this deck- Link .. Only because it has a fancy screen. lol!

So any recommendations on a subwoofer box/enclosure?

Any website recommendations? Like other than Best Buy and what not. I'd like to find some good prices. I mean, if I get all the jank I'm talking about (taking into account 2 type Rs and their respective amp... oppose to Type Es and their respective amp).. I'm lookin' at 2 grand blink.gif

I suppose there's always Ebay..

One of my friends.. who seems to know A LOT about car audio.. recommends JL Audio.

#38 ubernewb

ubernewb

now 58% uber'er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:04 AM

excellent deck.. btu worthless to you if you're not rocking an ipod... without an ipod it's a fancy am/fm radio that'll read mp3's off flash drives...

lol

and jl makes some great stuff... i love their amps and subs.. not a big fan of their full range speakers, but they're decent enough..

whatever you do, i'd definately build the box for the subs.. prefabs are convenient, but they rarely match a sub's specs very well

go dig around crutchfield.com .. they've got some good stuff over there

#39 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:32 AM

Well see, now I'm just damn tempted to buy an Ipod. lol.

...Anyone wanna buy a Zune? haha.

I've always been an Apple h8er though.. long story. lol.

-------------------------------------------------

Well, good news.. I stumbled across 6x9" Type R speakers on Alpine's website. So now I know they at least make 'em. They didn't have 'em on Best Buy's site. So I'll need to find somewhere to buy those.

As for building a box..

Is that difficult? I'm quite capable of cutting wood, drilling, nailing, gluing, etc etc.

Is there a lot of science that goes behind it?

Like, are there certain things I need to factor in?

Certain things I need to keep in mind?

And in regards to the amp you [ubernewb] recommended for the 12in Type Rs.. the MRP-M850.. is that really sufficient? 707w? I'm not to familiar how watts and ohms work in regards to car audio.

------------------------------------------------

Speaking of ohms.. I noticed on Alpine's website that the 12in Type Rs came in 2 flavors. "2ohms + 2ohms" and "4ohms + 4ohms". What's the difference? They're the same price. Is one better than the other? Is one recommended over the other? Will that affect my choice in amp?

#40 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(sicknasty413 @ Aug 20 2007, 05:44 PM) View Post

I still need recommendations for-
2 tweeters
An amplifier for my subwoofers
A box for my subwoofers
Wires/Cables

As you can see.. this clearly doubled/triple my $500 budget.. But like I said, I may be able to do $1000.

Those 2-way alpine type-R speakers you listed have tweaters built in... that's what make the "2-WAY" speakers laugh.gif Separates simply have the mid and tweater as two separate units with a separate cross over unit. These are better because you can mount the tweaters closer to ear level and the cross over circuitry is usually higher quality.

Also if you're going to use an amp for the speakers then there is no reason to get an amplified deck at all since you wont be using it's internal amplification.

You should probably do this in steps
Step 1: Head unit with decent amplifications, and rear deck speakers

Step 2: Front door speakers/Speaker wire to deck

Step 3: Box/Subs/Sub Amp/Preamp wires/Power Wires

Step 4: Speaker Amp/All new Speaker Wire

If you do steps 1 and 2 at the same time you'll spend about $1000
Then steps 3 and 4 will run you about another $1000

Also doing it in steps will not only help spread out the costs but you'll learn what you like and don't like about each individual component and help you decide what to look for in the parts of the next step. Not to mention the install wont be so overwhelming doing it all at once.

Oh and screw bestbuy.... go to crutchfield.com they're more of a valuable resource and research tool then they are a store. I don't want to hear you mention bestbuy.com one more time... basically don't go there until you know what you want and are curious what their price is...

QUOTE(sicknasty413 @ Aug 21 2007, 02:08 AM) View Post

As for building a box..

Is that difficult? I'm quite capable of cutting wood, drilling, nailing, gluing, etc etc.

Is there a lot of science that goes behind it?

Like, are there certain things I need to factor in?

Certain things I need to keep in mind?

------------------------------------------------

Speaking of ohms.. I noticed on Alpine's website that the 12in Type Rs came in 2 flavors. "2ohms + 2ohms" and "4ohms + 4ohms". What's the difference? They're the same price. Is one better than the other? Is one recommended over the other? Will that affect my choice in amp?

Box Building:
http://www.ehow.com/...woofer-box.html

The biggest factor in box building is the air volume inside the box. Then of course there are 2 types of boxes, ported and sealed, we've already determined that you'll want to go with a sealed design laugh.gif

Learning about ohms and Wattage: http://www.marktaw.c...ndSpeakers.html

Edited by twistedsymphony, 21 August 2007 - 06:45 PM.

#41 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Aug 21 2007, 02:15 PM) View Post

Those 2-way alpine type-R speakers you listed have tweaters built in... that's what make the "2-WAY" speakers laugh.gif Separates simply have the mid and tweater as two separate units with a separate cross over unit. These are better because you can mount the tweaters closer to ear level and the cross over circuitry is usually higher quality.

Yeah, I realized that the other night.

Also if you're going to use an amp for the speakers then there is no reason to get an amplified deck at all since you wont be using it's internal amplification.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Any recommendations for a deck then? Something with a lot of bells and whistles ??

You should probably do this in steps
Step 1: Head unit with decent amplifications, and rear deck speakers

Step 2: Front door speakers/Speaker wire to deck

Step 3: Box/Subs/Sub Amp/Preamp wires/Power Wires

Step 4: Speaker Amp/All new Speaker Wire

If you do steps 1 and 2 at the same time you'll spend about $1000
Then steps 3 and 4 will run you about another $1000

Also doing it in steps will not only help spread out the costs but you'll learn what you like and don't like about each individual component and help you decide what to look for in the parts of the next step. Not to mention the install wont be so overwhelming doing it all at once.

Idk, honestly, I think the speakers are fine.. It's just the deck that needs to be replaced. If so, then I'd rather spring for subs/box/amp/wires first.. then go on to replace the speakers later.

Oh and screw bestbuy.... go to crutchfield.com they're more of a valuable resource and research tool then they are a store. I don't want to hear you mention bestbuy.com one more time... basically don't go there until you know what you want and are curious what their price is...

....best buy.

lol. Yeah, I can get everything I want off crutchfield.com for $1760 + 5% tax. Including this box- Link.. It's sealed.. but idk.

Box Building:
http://www.ehow.com/...woofer-box.html

The biggest factor in box building is the air volume inside the box. Then of course there are 2 types of boxes, ported and sealed, we've already determined that you'll want to go with a sealed design laugh.gif

Ok, so sealed design, gotcha.

Learning about ohms and Wattage: http://www.marktaw.c...ndSpeakers.html

I've decided to go with "2ohm + 2ohm" subs... since that goes with the amp I'm planning to get.

#42 ubernewb

ubernewb

now 58% uber'er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:46 AM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Aug 21 2007, 11:15 AM) View Post

Oh and screw bestbuy....

hey.. eff you you effin effer.... haha

what can i say? they pay my bills..... laugh.gif

i don't give a shit what anyone says, you can get some great deals at that place... and some of them actually have employees that know what they're talking about.. crazy thought i know, but it happens

quite a bit better than circuit shitty, but i suppose that doesn't take much wink.gif

and no.. tweeters do NOT go at ear level.. where in the hell did you get that from?!

Edited by ubernewb, 22 August 2007 - 02:47 AM.

#43 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:19 AM

LOL^

I applied for Best Buy in like June.. They never contacted me. :: sigh ::

...Circuit City just lowered their age to 16, so I may apply there. Idk.

Circuit City doesn't carry Alpine though!

So yeah, this is my most up to date current list-
2 x 6.5in Alpine Type R 2-Way Speakers : Link
2 x 6x9in Alpine Type R 2-Way Speakers : Link
2 x 12in Alpine Subwoofers (2ohm + 2ohm) : Link
1 x Alpine MRP-M850- 800 watts RMS x 1 at 2ohms : Link (Is this amp really efficient for 2 12in Type R subs??)
1 x Alpine MRP-F450- 70 watts RMS x 4 at 4ohms/100 watts RMS x 4 at 2ohms : Link
1 x Q-Logic Double 12in Box (sealed) : Link

I'm still not sure what deck to get though..

What I'm looking for in a deck, but not exactly necessary-
-CD Player
-HD Radio (It's the way of the future, ain't it?)
-Bluetooth built-in (It would just be ballin' as hell.. lol)
-USB port that will read music from a flash drive or my Zune*
-If no USB port.. then a standard 2.5mm (..headphone size) jack to hook my Zune up to

*I've seen some decks that support USB.. but don't support DRM. And as most of us know, Zune = DRM. Which is poop.

Any recommendations would be awesome.

Thanks!

Edited by sicknasty413, 22 August 2007 - 03:21 AM.

#44 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:30 AM

It's too bad you're not more local or I'd have a sub box that's basically up for grabs. I simply don't have a vehicle to put it in and it's just taking up space. I also have an Alpine amp that I'd let go darn cheap. (I'd need to get specs tomorrow as it's late now.) Powered my subs like a champ back in the day.

As for color, I can attest, black is too fucking hot. I'd keep the paint as is. I think that thing looks pimp as hell the way it is.

#45 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:54 AM

^ Where you from?? And let me know when you get those specs. As for the paint, it definitely needs some touching up. I got some touch up paint.. but it doesn't exactly match. Maybe if I wet sand it with some 2000 grade sandpaper.. maybe that'll help.

Anyways.. I made some progress today! I have yet to get any equipment, but my father picked me up a cheap ass speaker to replace the rear left one that doesn't work. So I got to install that! Even had to start modifying shit and what not. But it works as it should.. so now I get audio from both my rear speakers happy.gif . I'll replace 'em soon enough though!

My father and I also recarpeted my trunk! Before it had this ghetto ol' shag-like carpet-
IPB Image

We replaced it with some newer carpet that we had laying in our garage. It's not perfect or professional or anything.. but it definitely looks a hell of a lot better than what was in there before-

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

So yeah, let me know whatcha think.

I'm trying to get my mommy (lol) to shell out a grand.. or 2.. haha. I want my new speakers/sub/amps/etc!!!!!

I'm still in need of a new deck/radio/receiver/thing.. so throw me some recommendations. Preferably something available at www.aafes.com.. that way my father can use [my mother's] Military Star Card. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users