• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MaGUi

MaGUi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:59 PM

I have the Westinghouse Lvm-37w3 and I use the Monster Vga cable for my xbox 360 premium console. When using 1920x1080 resolution, I occasionally see a flickering horizontal bar appear and disappear about 1/3 from the top of the screen. I notice this in games when I quickly turn or in video demo downloads for video game trailers. (Its not that big a deal, it does go away, but it shouldn't happen and that pisses me off) I figure this happens because they are not 1080p native games/videos. I then try the 1360x768 resolution and the line disappears. Now I have another problem. First, it doesn't fill the entire screen. I fix this with the fill function of the tv and all is great. No more horizontal lines on the 720p format video demos and it fills the screen perfectly. Now the weird part. When I play Overlord, (have yet to check with other games) there is a vertical black strip on the left of the screen about 1 inch thick. Any advise as to why this bar is not on the dashboard but appears in the game? or to get rid of the occasional horizontal flicker on 1920x1080?

#2 PotFarmer

PotFarmer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:43 PM

From what I've heard the monster cables suck and you should stick with the official Microsoft ones. Try borrowing a MS cable from a friend or something. cool.gif

#3 SphtKr76

SphtKr76

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:27 PM

Try the different cable like suggested. My Brother has that exact same setup using the MS cable with no problems....

#4 bill_best

bill_best

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:28 AM

I get a lot of those horizontal bars when I try to push my 30 foot component cable to 1080p. I'm not exactly sure what technically causes it, but I know I'm pushing the cable too hard - if that makes any sense.

I am using a Westinghouse LVM-37W1 with the Microsoft VGA cable and it works great at 1920x1080.

A 3rd party VGA cable (which I bought first) did NOT work properly.

...if you do try the Microsoft VGA cable please post your results so others will know

Edited by bill_best, 18 August 2007 - 05:29 AM.

#5 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:19 PM

probably a cable issue, the bandwidth required for 1080p is ridiculous and that's the point where the quality of the game starts to show it's true colors, the MS cables are guaranteed to work... Monster cables are not.

#6 MaGUi

MaGUi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:11 AM

Just got BioShock (feakin AWESOME!), and its the first game ever to not give me a single horizontal flicker when set to 1080p, maybe because its 1080p native (not 100% sure). As for trying the ms cable, i have to find someone who has it. Just spent $$ on the wireless adapter and router and on the xbox 360 Monster fiber optic cable (had to since its the only place i could find the proper Toslink adapter to the damn Monster vga. All the ones online are for a 3.5mm fitting which is too large. Found out the hard way) and don't want to spend any more cash right now. If i find someone who does have it, I'll be sure to check it out and post a reply. And to update, the black bar is on the dashboard also. You guys think the monster cable causes the black bar or just the occasional flicker or both? Also, aren't monster cables supposed to be the best? (be easy on the response you Monster haters! hehe)

#7 onlyking

onlyking

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:34 PM

that's right

#8 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE(MaGUi @ Aug 24 2007, 09:47 PM) View Post

Just got BioShock (feakin AWESOME!), and its the first game ever to not give me a single horizontal flicker when set to 1080p, maybe because its 1080p native (not 100% sure). As for trying the ms cable, i have to find someone who has it. Just spent $$ on the wireless adapter and router and on the xbox 360 Monster fiber optic cable (had to since its the only place i could find the proper Toslink adapter to the damn Monster vga. All the ones online are for a 3.5mm fitting which is too large. Found out the hard way) and don't want to spend any more cash right now. If i find someone who does have it, I'll be sure to check it out and post a reply. And to update, the black bar is on the dashboard also. You guys think the monster cable causes the black bar or just the occasional flicker or both? Also, aren't monster cables supposed to be the best? (be easy on the response you Monster haters! hehe)

The reason Monster uses the 2.5mm toslink adapter is to FORCE you to buy their optical cable as well, funny enough they list it as a feature on the packaging.

And no monster cables aren't the best. In tests done on the AV Science forums the monster cables tend to perform fairly poorly in terms of signal to noise and have an abnormally high amount of manufacturing defects that can cause them to be DOA or extremely shortened lifespans.

Personally I stopped using monster cables when my 3rd set of Xbox 1 Monster Component cables simply broke apart at the seems just sitting behind my Console.... The first one was DOA, the second one had a lose wire inside the connector and after about a month it would only output mono sound. The third one lasted about 6 months before the connectors shell just fell apart and wire jacket shrank and pulled itself back. The first 2 were covered under warranty (it was like pulling teeth trying to get them replaced) and the 3rd one just got dumped in the trash and I went out and bought a used official cable for $4 at EB and never looked back.. I posted pictures of the busted cable around here somewhere.

Their toslink cables are the worst because of the type of plastic they use for the casing. After a few heat cycles it will shrink and break the connectors away from the fiber casing as well as squeeze and choke the fiber causing the audio to cut out frequently.

#9 KoRnGtL15

KoRnGtL15

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:41 AM

Monster cables are the only other cables officially licensed by MS. MS and Monster ones are the best ones out for vga. The monster cables dont suck. Your hearing from people that are to cheap to pay the extra money. You can get good deals online as well. I got mine for $24 bucks shipped new!

QUOTE(PotFarmer @ Aug 17 2007, 10:19 PM) View Post

From what I've heard the monster cables suck and you should stick with the official Microsoft ones. Try borrowing a MS cable from a friend or something. cool.gif

#10 xboxmodder4life

xboxmodder4life

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE(KoRnGtL15 @ Sep 12 2007, 10:17 PM) View Post

Monster cables are the only other cables officially licensed by MS. MS and Monster ones are the best ones out for vga. The monster cables dont suck. Your hearing from people that are to cheap to pay the extra money. You can get good deals online as well. I got mine for $24 bucks shipped new!

Either people are to cheap to pay the money or they dont like wasting money for a cable that doesn't work in many cases, and when it does shows absolutely no difference in picture qaulity.(having been on these boards since 2002 i've heard so many complaints about 3rd party cables no matter how expensive "HIGHEND" they were). You are probally one of these people who swear your $100 optical cable and $200HDMI cable provide a far superior picture then my $3.50 HDMI cable and my 2$ optical cable from monoprice. That picture qaulity improvement your seeing is just you telling you self the picture is far better because you spent 10times more then you should of on a cable that provides no significant improvement. It's pretty much like putting 91 octane in your 1994 toyota camry because you swear it gives you the extra 2hp. Go ahead feel free to pay extra money for a cable which provides you no picture qaulity benefits someones gotta pay Monster Cables advertising budget.

Let me make it really easy for everyone...BUY THE OFFICIAL CABLES FROM MICROSOFT THEY WORK FLAWLESSLY...THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN THE PICTURE QAULITY...AND YES I HAVE TRIED BOTH...ON A NATIVE 1080p TV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users