Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:12 AM

I don't think that the attach is persistent through a IGR, and I have found the default.xbe from DVD2Xbox to work better for me so far, though the ISO ripper from the version of DVD2Xbox I have always makes 6gb worth of ISO.

#17 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:04 PM

Follow up:
xmans attach xbe freezes my xbox, I didn't try patching it. If you rip a game in ISO mode with DVD2Xbox it creates a default.xbe in the game folder. This is an attach and launch app, that seems to work well. You'll need an xbe renamer to have it display properly in a game list, and probably you'll want some boxart or somethig for an icon. Ripped games in ISO mode always take up a way more space than needed though, so rip games normally and use your favorite xbox ISO tool to make your ISO.

Suggestion: If you use Linux/Unix i would suggest using extract-xiso to create (it can create too) ISO images from ripped games. The binary on sourceforge will run in xbox linux so you can create optimized ISO images on the xbox. Ask if more info wanted, this could be automated with a small loopback xbox linux to run like an app.

#18 HiTMaN-239

HiTMaN-239

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE(Movax @ Nov 22 2011, 02:04 PM) View Post

Follow up:
xmans attach xbe freezes my xbox, I didn't try patching it. If you rip a game in ISO mode with DVD2Xbox it creates a default.xbe in the game folder. This is an attach and launch app, that seems to work well. You'll need an xbe renamer to have it display properly in a game list, and probably you'll want some boxart or somethig for an icon. Ripped games in ISO mode always take up a way more space than needed though, so rip games normally and use your favorite xbox ISO tool to make your ISO.

Suggestion: If you use Linux/Unix i would suggest using extract-xiso to create (it can create too) ISO images from ripped games. The binary on sourceforge will run in xbox linux so you can create optimized ISO images on the xbox. Ask if more info wanted, this could be automated with a small loopback xbox linux to run like an app.

Movax, thanks for the info. What xbox version and tsop bios you using? when chaining, which dashboard do you use?

I have been testing with ind-5003 bios. I got it working first with out the chain, and using dvd2xbox attacher. Xman's attacher didn't work for me.

But then, when I chained it, it freezes using the dvd2xbox launcher. (I know it patches correctly because I compiled the version with the red led status, and it indeed flashes red on boot).

The patcher file I am using was pm'ed to me by Jlsoft from this thread, where did you get your patcher file?

this is a great functionality, if I can get it to work! hopefully I can with help from this thread.

#19 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

To chain load, I edited the xboxapp.asm as instructed by xman and ran nasm as it shows in the comments of that file:

;;;
;;; Compile using the command:
;;; nasm -o default.xbe xboxapp.asm
;;;

%define BOOT_TO_DASH ; uncomment to boot the 2nd Dashboard when done

%define DASH_PATH '\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\startxbmc.xbe'

Partition2 is C
startxbmc.xbe: This is just my preference, you can name any xbe to launch your dashboard.
(startxbmc.xbe is XBMC team shortcut, it needs the same name config file, in this case startxbmc.cfg which contains the line E:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe)

So I just changed those two define lines and ran nasm for the chained loader. I am using Evox M8+. I really wanted to use Ind cause it seemed cool, but 5003 has a weird slow IGR, 5004 has the back+black no trigger bug and 5004 beta I have read has weird sound problems, I don't think i tried it. M8 works perfect though, it is full featured, I don't see any advantage for Ind.

Edited by Movax, 22 November 2011 - 08:40 PM.

#20 HiTMaN-239

HiTMaN-239

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE(Movax @ Nov 22 2011, 03:39 PM) View Post

To chain load, I edited the xboxapp.asm as instructed by xman and ran nasm as it shows in the comments of that file:
Partition2 is C
startxbmc.xbe: This is just my preference, you can name any xbe to launch your dashboard.
(startxbmc.xbe is XBMC team shortcut, it needs the same name config file, in this case startxbmc.cfg which contains the line E:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe)

So I just changed those two define lines and ran nasm for the chained loader. I am using Evox M8+. I really wanted to use Ind cause it seemed cool, but 5003 has a weird slow IGR, 5004 has the back+black no trigger bug and 5004 beta I have read has weird sound problems, I don't think i tried it. M8 works perfect though, it is full featured, I don't see any advantage for Ind.

Arlight, just did some more testing. Turns out that it works after all. My problem was I had the ind bios option "in game reset boot to dashboard" enabled. What I figure was happening, is that the patcher was working fine, but when I used the launcher it triggers an IGR function to load the mounted image, this gets intercepted by the ind bios and because of the boot to dash igr option being enabled it would just reload the dash again (making it look like the launcher failed).

When I disabled that option, the launcher worked like a charm!

But now I have another problem, when I launch my game, and i am done with it, I like to go back to my dashboard. Unfortunately, when I use my IGR combo, I get a constant loop of the mounted game. It seems like the bios is trying to load my dashboard, but the patcher keeps wanting to load the mounted iso, and they fight it over in a nice loop.

My work around has been to use the power cycle combo, that works no problem, but the combo is really awkward, and I wouldl like to see if there is a way around this, how does your IGR work in M8?

By the way, IND 5003 IGR is fine, not sure what issues you have had with it. The 5003 problem is that the power off combo is back and white, no triggers like it was supposed to be. The main thing that I like about 5003 is the disable xbox flubber intro option, and the fact that I can keep playing around with a config file without have to reflash everytime I want to try a different option. Does M8 have those two options? maybe I will put that on my other half of the tsop to play around with if it does.

By the way, why the convulated way of launching xbmc with the shortcut? can't M8 launch xmbc's default.xbe directly from where ever you have it?

Edited by HiTMaN-239, 22 November 2011 - 11:23 PM.

#21 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:34 AM

I am not sure if the ISO is still attached after IGR and something with my configuration is detaching the ISO. Maybe there should be a detacher chained or that ability added to the patcher as an option when assembling it. I don't have source for the detacher, we may need xmans help.

For ind bios, my understanding was that you were supposed to hold the triggers as per most bioses and the nfo.

( http://www.tdubel.co...D-BiOS.5003.nfo )

Regardless, I see it as a bug, and unusable for me. You can customize evox using evtool, mine has no animation and displays a blue X logo, cause I think it looks nice.

IPB Image

^This is not my configuration, just an example of the tool.

M8 has no config file loading ability, but, right or wrong, (no testing done) I feel it will slow down my bootup as the bios has to wait for the HD to spin up. Custom X logos is the only place I think Ind has an advantage, which does seem pretty cool.

For the XBMC short cut, I just like having the ability to quickly edit the dashboard that is launched, I see it as flexable. I don't think m8 can boot from E, but the XBMC shortcut can..

Edited by Movax, 23 November 2011 - 01:35 AM.

#22 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:22 AM

I think I misunderstood, you are acknowledging the triggers are supposed to be pressed? I am too used to using back with black/white for mame/coinops, plus i've accidentally pressed them before. That's enough that I won't use it, though I would be interested in finding the code in the kernel and fixing it.

#23 HiTMaN-239

HiTMaN-239

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:46 AM

QUOTE(Movax @ Nov 22 2011, 09:22 PM) View Post

I think I misunderstood, you are acknowledging the triggers are supposed to be pressed? I am too used to using back with black/white for mame/coinops, plus i've accidentally pressed them before. That's enough that I won't use it, though I would be interested in finding the code in the kernel and fixing it.

Yeap, I was aknowledging that the triggers are supposed to be pressed (i.e. a bug).

I think I have got a setup I am happy with for now. I found that using IGR mode 1 (complete not quick) seems to fix my looping issue. Its a bit of a weird igr mode (it resets twice in a row), but whatever it works.

I now have two games, I turn my box on, and I can launch a game, I can then IGR (triggers+back+white), and then launch another game. I can shut down, run a different game. So its all working good. (keep in mind I am using the DVD2XBOX launcher and not xman's)

My only complain, is the IGR mode 1 is a bit weird.

Now, I am being greedy, but I was hoping I can chainload this with a PBL to load a VGA BFM bios. I tried just chainloading to Frosty's BFM vga ind bios without the patcher just to try it, but it didn't work it would hang. I can launch the PBL from the dashboard normal and sucessfully load the bfm vga bios, but I can't seem to get ind 5003 to load it directly. It might be an issue with the PBL that frosty packaged with his realease (it think it is the Metoo version).

I saw a thread where you were doing soemthing like this, i.e. chainloading a tsop bios to load a BFM through a PBL. I think you were loading a retail bfm bios. Any tips?

#24 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:29 AM

I think there is a bug with that Ind bios load BFM bios function, are you pointing it to the bios or the PBL?

Yeah I wanted to load a softmod from chip to have the best of both - softmods are the more advanced mods and were last to be seriously worked on - but I wanted to be able to turn off the boot animation and have unlocked hard drives etc. I think I might be happy with m8 and this patcher, since this was one of the softmod features I really wanted.

I gave up though, I could boot the first dash and it seemed to work, but any other xbe's would freeze. I think I couldn't figure out how to make a BFM retail bios. I might try again sometime.

What I want now is an xbox app that scans all subfolders and looks in the ISO for the default.xbe and finds the game name and patches the launcher with the game. It might as well grab the icon at the same time and create a thumbnail.

Edited by Movax, 24 November 2011 - 04:31 AM.

#25 HiTMaN-239

HiTMaN-239

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE(Movax @ Nov 23 2011, 11:29 PM) View Post

I think there is a bug with that Ind bios load BFM bios function, are you pointing it to the bios or the PBL?

Yeah I wanted to load a softmod from chip to have the best of both - softmods are the more advanced mods and were last to be seriously worked on - but I wanted to be able to turn off the boot animation and have unlocked hard drives etc. I think I might be happy with m8 and this patcher, since this was one of the softmod features I really wanted.

I gave up though, I could boot the first dash and it seemed to work, but any other xbe's would freeze. I think I couldn't figure out how to make a BFM retail bios. I might try again sometime.

What I want now is an xbox app that scans all subfolders and looks in the ISO for the default.xbe and finds the game name and patches the launcher with the game. It might as well grab the icon at the same time and create a thumbnail.

Yah, there is a bug for launching BFMs directly. By a bug I mean it doesn't work at all, lol.

But all I was doing was instead of setting the bios to boot my dash xbe, I set it to boot the PBL xbe (which in turn launches the BFM). But it didn't work, it would just keep flashing green after booting.

I think my issue is that the BFM is looking for the dash in the wrong place, I will have to double check.

Okay, I read your softmod thread, I read that you got your tsop bios to launch a PBL, which version did you use? and did it work okay as far as getting the BFM loaded with whatever dash it launches?

getting a litte off topic here, sorry.

And yes, a script of sorts to do what you said with the games would be nice, a scraper for games and a game library mode in xbmc would be nice as well. Maybe I will code something up, the xbox1 scene is kind of dead here. Maybe I will head over to xbmc4xbox and join their forums.

#26 Little-G

Little-G

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

Hitman, to get the ind bios BFM launch to work, make sure you have the flubber sequence enabled and then press the eject button during the sequence. That should make it look for and launch the BFM bios pop.gif

#27 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:30 PM

I think I was using Ind bios for most of my testing actually. For now I am happy.. I'll try it again sometime - I do want to get into the assembly more and understand it better (I find it interesting). If I do that I should be able to figure out how to fix it.

#28 HiTMaN-239

HiTMaN-239

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:52 AM

QUOTE(Little-G @ Nov 24 2011, 09:12 AM) View Post

Hitman, to get the ind bios BFM launch to work, make sure you have the flubber sequence enabled and then press the eject button during the sequence. That should make it look for and launch the BFM bios pop.gif

Good to know (by the way, where did find this? it's not in the 5003 documentation). I will give it a shot, thanks for this!

QUOTE(Movax @ Nov 24 2011, 11:30 AM) View Post

I think I was using Ind bios for most of my testing actually. For now I am happy.. I'll try it again sometime - I do want to get into the assembly more and understand it better (I find it interesting). If I do that I should be able to figure out how to fix it.

I got it booting through PBL Metoo, I was loading a BFM ind on top of my TSOP ind, so the bfm was also reading the config and in turn launching the PBL again, and kept looping smile.gif

I think I am done with the software side of things for now, going to focus on the hardware for my slim box now.

By the way, movax, you might like this.

#29 Little-G

Little-G

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE(HiTMaN-239 @ Nov 25 2011, 01:52 AM) View Post

Good to know (by the way, where did find this? it's not in the 5003 documentation). I will give it a shot, thanks for this!

Taken from the release information from the Yoshihiro Debug Bios:

* If you press eject button during booting animation, bios will boot BFM bios located on E:\\biosbfm\\xboxrom.bin

They work in a similar way.

#30 FrankMorris

FrankMorris

X-S Senior Member

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

This sounds totally cool..

Link is down. Anyone still have this?