56 replies to this topic

#1 firepyro

firepyro

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:24 AM

alright people... friend saw a mod that some guy on xboxscene did where he put in wireless internal. He told me this but never found the page. so im creating my own. and yes all credit goes to that person out there.

RIPPING IT UP

this usb case was not meant to be opened... no skrews or anything easily detached. just snaps on and im thinking it is glued too.

be careful when your trying to open this. Find something to pry between the two pieces of plastic. (i personaly used a pocket knife. i do NOT recommend this, it was just handy for me. ) i couldnt find any weak spot in the case, but i chose the long side as u can see in my pictures. oh and if your going to want to save the case... good luck smile.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

and were in... unfortunately i forgot to take pics of the board before i wrapped it in tape (to get rid of the risk of shorting something)

i chose to leave the LED showing... its really tiny like the ROL leds. if your having trouble finding it, you can guess-ta-mate from my pic of it being taped.

IPB Image

and this board is really handy in that it has a mini usb connecting into it so removing the wire is easy!

IPB Image

USB BASICS

first of all. u gotta know that USB wire diagram basics. there are 5 wires wraped in foil. that foil is then wraped in a wire shield which is often used as a ground, if not always. and of corse the very outside layer is the insulation.

cut the 2.0 USB connector off. use your own judgment on how much you should cut off. just remember its better safe than sorry.

IPB Image

in this usb wire there are:

red: +5v
white: - data
green: + data
black: ground
yellow:I'm not sure what this is... I think the yellow wire is only for the Dev kit or it was something that Microsoft never fully implemented, feel free to speculate or if ya know for sure please share the info. The "Yellow" Wire is not used for this mod, so you can just cut it short and tape it up so it doesn't short against anything.

POINTS TO SOLDER

on the underside of the motherboard, right under the USB/LAN ports are 5 pins...

pins 12 - 16 (its actually labled on the board... handy eh?)

12 = red: +5v
13 = white: - data
14 = green: + data
15 = black: ground
16 = yellow: ???

IPB Image

after you solder i suggest putting some kind of insulation over your points. there is always a chance that the metal chassis will short them out.

(yeah it wasnt my best soldering job, but its holding so im happy smile.gif ... plus i was dead tired when i did this. so thats my excuse haha)

NOW WHAT?

after your solder it. you have to run the wire somewhere.

I chose to run mine to the closest edge of the board. so that it will pop up right behind the dvd drive.

IPB Image

i positioned mine so that i can see my LED through my window

IPB Image

and thats it!

BUT WHAT ABOUT

what about when u dont have a wireless connection to connect to?
A- the 360 can tell which to connect to, im guessing the yellow wire does that,,, but there is no problem with that side of things.

what about using the back USB port?
A- unfortunately u cant use that USB port anymore with this mod. so this mod isnt for those lookin to free up that back port. sorry. strickly looks haha

if you have any questions i will try my best to answer them

THATS IT

i hope i helped yall out some how... and this is my frist tut so cut some slack will ya? haha tongue.gif

good luck yall, happy modding!

PS: if someone has already done this. sorry. i didnt see a tut and was looking for one. so i just made it.

Edited by RDC, 24 August 2007 - 12:52 PM.

#2 360-Sagacious

360-Sagacious

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:37 AM

Cool TUT. Also did an internalized wireless adaptor myself. Did a solderless version. Stripped and rerouted the USB connector from inside to the a front USB port. Good for noobs at soldering or people just not good at it. Last pic on my 360 mod link. http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=610474

Edited by RDC, 19 August 2007 - 06:47 AM.

#3 Anaxes

Anaxes

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:360...Games...Girls...Tuner cars :)
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:39 AM

hahaah yeah you where dead tired... sleeping.gif

#4 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:41 AM

Good tut.

For the record, that was xboxexpert that did it.

#5 firepyro

firepyro

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:45 AM

QUOTE(360-Sagacious @ Aug 19 2007, 01:13 AM) View Post

Cool TUT. Also did an internalized wireless adaptor myself. Did a solderless version. Stripped and rerouted the USB connector from inside to the a front USB port. Good for noobs at soldering or people just not good at it. Last pic on my 360 mod link. http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=610474

dude your the guy i was talking about haha.... kudos to you man. anaxes saw your page and told me about it, i had to do it. i didn't like the plug idea personally, but its all about preference. great job man. the credit for the idea goes to you smile.gif

Edited by RDC, 19 August 2007 - 06:45 AM.

#6 MysticalMagnet

MysticalMagnet

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Interests:Finished Games:<br />Madden 06<br />Pocket Bike Racer

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:46 AM

If you do it that way with the plug still connecting to the usb port u can always take it out when you want to so that u can have that usb port back instead of when u solder to it there is no easy way to get that port back.

#7 Anaxes

Anaxes

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

QUOTE(firepyro @ Aug 19 2007, 01:21 AM) View Post

dude your the guy i was talking about haha.... kudos to you man. anaxes saw your page and told me about it, i had to do it. i didn't like the plug idea personally, but its all about preference. great job man. the credit for the idea goes to you smile.gif

Yup that was tha one...damn i could find him 4 nuthing the other night

#8 box_69

box_69

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Interests:xbox and my truck
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

if you throw a switch on the power wont that give you the port back?

#9 firepyro

firepyro

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:50 AM

i did try throwin a switch on it. but like i said i was really tired when i did this mod so i couldnt get it to work the way i wanted it to so i went back to this. but i dont see why there couldnt be a switch for it

and i didnt want to deal with a plug anywhere, i mean the two plugs in the front are plenty for me, but other people might need more or just not care. i dunno. i just wanted it to seem like at a glance you couldnt tell i had a wireless xbox. i guess thats the main reason i did this, plus i like the sleek look of things, and that antenna hah,,, i didnt see that as slick to me

#10 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:50 AM

No need to quote pics, especially on the same page as the original post. Remove them as well as it was really funky looking being a screen shot of the forum when the link to said thread was provided also. wink.gif

QUOTE(box_69 @ Aug 19 2007, 02:22 AM) View Post

if you throw a switch on the power wont that give you the port back?

Nope, it doesn't work like that.

#11 360-Sagacious

360-Sagacious

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:53 AM

QUOTE(firepyro @ Aug 19 2007, 02:20 AM) View Post

Thanks. I chose to do the plug to be able to remove or replace the adapter in case it later failed or move it to a another machine say if I decide to replace my console with a HDMI Premium, Elite or any future upgraded console with ease. And it's good to show for, as I said before, noobs at soldering or people just not good at it or even those afraid to mess up their systems. Which I have seen people do here at the forums quite a few times.

QUOTE(RDC @ Aug 19 2007, 02:26 AM) View Post

No need to quote pics, especially on the same page as the original post. Remove them as well as it was really funky looking being a screen shot of the forum when the link to said thread was provided also. wink.gif

Yeah a little overkill, my bad.

#12 firepyro

firepyro

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE(RDC @ Aug 19 2007, 01:26 AM) View Post

my abd i didnt mean to qoute the whole pic haha... and maybe the reason i couldnt get that switch to work is cuz it wont work! haha makes me feel better lol

QUOTE(360-Sagacious @ Aug 19 2007, 01:27 AM) View Post

Thanks. I chose to do the plug to be able to remove or replace the adapter in case it later failed or move it to a another machine say if I decide to replace my console with a HDMI Premium, Elite or any future upgraded console with ease. And it's good to show for, as I said before, noobs at soldering or people just not good at it or even those afraid to mess up their systems. Which I have seen people do here at the forums quite a few times.

yeah you have a good point about the moving it around, but you could do the soldering to any box, its just a lil bit more time consuming... like i said its all preference and how much ur willing to put into it haha... but i see exactly what your saying about using the plug

#13 360-Sagacious

360-Sagacious

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:56 AM

It's funny how we are discussing how to internalize the wireless adapter and how easy it can be while MS seems to miss the boat with it every upgraded console.

Edited by 360-Sagacious, 19 August 2007 - 06:58 AM.

#14 Anaxes

Anaxes

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE(360-Sagacious @ Aug 19 2007, 01:32 AM) View Post

It's funny how we are discussing how to internalize the wireless adapter and how easy it can be while MS seems to miss the boat with it every upgraded console.

^^^This statement is very true!! lol biggrin.gif

#15 firepyro

firepyro

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:06 AM

haha yeah... well it is microsoft, thier good, but its still MS haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users