Rustmonkey

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:35 AM

Ok, I'm looking into getting a Panasonic Q (good ol ebay) and I noticed that it has an optical port on the back of the system - if anyone here owns one, I'm wanting to know if this optical audio port also outputs sound for the games (as opposed to only working with movies).

Thanks!
Rustmonkey

#2 Rustmonkey

Rustmonkey

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:07 PM

Well, to answer my own question, (and if anyone else is interested) optical audio is ONLY for DVDs - the analog cables are still required for gaming audio. Bollucks!

#3 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:36 PM

That's odd...

you can hack the DOL-001 Gamecubes to add a digital audio port that work with all games.

it's an expensive hack as it requires a rare audio chip that can runs like $70 but I've heard of a few people having success with it.

Basically the digital video cable used for the japanese D connector and component video actually provides the audio and video digitally and the cable itself does a digital to analog conversion... the audio is in a rarely used digital format called "I2" so the hack basically converts the I2 signal to SPDIF...

it's only in the DOL-001 consoles since the digial AV port was removed for the DOL-101 gamecubes... no idea if the I2 signal is present in the Q models.

ok I just went to go dig up the old info on this topic and I guess you already know all about it: http://forums.xbox-s...p;#entry3958977
laugh.gif

#4 Rustmonkey

Rustmonkey

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:12 AM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Sep 13 2007, 11:12 AM) View Post

That's odd...

you can hack the DOL-001 Gamecubes to add a digital audio port that work with all games.

it's an expensive hack as it requires a rare audio chip that can runs like $70 but I've heard of a few people having success with it.

Basically the digital video cable used for the japanese D connector and component video actually provides the audio and video digitally and the cable itself does a digital to analog conversion... the audio is in a rarely used digital format called "I2" so the hack basically converts the I2 signal to SPDIF...

it's only in the DOL-001 consoles since the digial AV port was removed for the DOL-101 gamecubes... no idea if the I2 signal is present in the Q models.

ok I just went to go dig up the old info on this topic and I guess you already know all about it: http://forums.xbox-s...p;#entry3958977
laugh.gif

LOL!!!

For some reason, I'm obssessed with the GC digital thing - never got around to building it as the chip was backordered when I tried to get it... oh well, on to other things biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users