PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:35 PM

Sony: Eye Toy has more potential than Wii Remote
Posted by XanTium | 21-8-2007 12:35 EST

From computerandvideogames.com:

The PS3's ability to track the position of an object in 3D space using the new Eye Toy offers up more potential for motion-sensing gaming than the Wii Remote, Sony told CVG yesterday.

Eye Toy card battle game, Eye of Judgement, boasts some pretty impressive optical recognition technology that not only identifies a card (from a selection of hundreds) and summons the right monster, but it can track the movement of that card - including its distance from the camera and tilt orientation - and keep that monster positioned correctly on it.

Full Story: computerandvideogames.com

#2 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:57 PM

more potential?.......yea...right. sleep.gif

#3 cerealkillajme

cerealkillajme

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:07 PM

This feature sounds pretty interesting. I'd like to see how it develops and hopefully it gets implemented in more games. Could be pretty neat if used right.

Kinda like a Wii-mote but you wouldn't have to hold it, doubt we'll see as many broken TVs with this laugh.gif

Only thing I don't like is that it screams "stolen Wii tech". Although it's not the same thing as what the Wii does, it's essentially throwing "motion tech" in after the console was made, which proves they saw the Wii doing great with it and just decided to try to throw it into their system to make it better. That's all unless Sony planned to have one of these, but I don't remember reading anything about it.

#4 kidkinetix

kidkinetix

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:52 PM

I wouldn't say it's stolen, it seems like MS has had ideas regarding using similar technology too. There was a Bill Gates interview where he mentioned that the wii could mimick swinging a tennis raquet but he wanted to see something where you could use your own. That's something technology like this lends potential to.

#5 ConteZero76

ConteZero76

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE(kidkinetix @ Aug 21 2007, 08:28 PM) View Post

I wouldn't say it's stolen, it seems like MS has had ideas regarding using similar technology too. There was a Bill Gates interview where he mentioned that the wii could mimick swinging a tennis raquet but he wanted to see something where you could use your own. That's something technology like this lends potential to.

Gosh! Bill Gates told something about that ?
Too bad, things based on that technology are fairly common.
It isn't nothing "new" it wasn't before Bill Gates told something about it and it isn't now, after Sony ramblings.

#6 No_Name

No_Name

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:51 PM

I got to see this game at E3-06 and while the game did not impress me, the way it used the camera did.

It does have potential but to be honest the Wii remote is going to be a hard to match for gameplay that is not only fun but keeps you engaged for hours.

#7 Kamasutra318

Kamasutra318

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:As a Computer Engineer, I try to learn as much as I can about electronics and software. Also games.
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:05 AM

QUOTE(cerealkillajme @ Aug 21 2007, 02:43 PM) View Post
Only thing I don't like is that it screams "stolen Wii tech". Although it's not the same thing as what the Wii does, it's essentially throwing "motion tech" in after the console was made, which proves they saw the Wii doing great with it and just decided to try to throw it into their system to make it better. That's all unless Sony planned to have one of these, but I don't remember reading anything about it.
The same thing was done with the PS2, except it was 2D motion with that EyeToy. I recall reading about a patent a while ago that seems to be the technology on which this is based. That is, the ability to track 3D motion with a single camera as opposed to using more than one which is how it was previously done. Essentially this has the capability to simulate the function of a Wiimote with the added functionality of optical recognition, which would need to be utilized for use with some kind of accessory (e.g. a tennis racket wink.gif).

#8 beige

beige

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:36 AM

Will it be able to do it as fast as a wiimote though?

I get how it can trace the location and position of an object it knows the size and shape of. But having to take a decent resolution screenshot at a reasonable framerate, and then doing calculations on that picture to trace the object is going to be pretty resource intensive.

Granted, the PS3 has more capability than a Wii does. But how much of that extra processing power will be left for the actual games?

#9 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:39 PM

Sony: Eye Toy has more potential than Wii Remote
I always loved that marketing tactic.

I play with my Wii Remote daily. Potential means crap until it is realized. Wii is realized not only this gen, but right now.

I doubt anyone would not buy a Wii because of the "potential" of the Eye Toy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users