PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:02 PM

GC2007: PlayTV Unlocks Free Digital TV On PlayStation 3
Posted by XanTium | 22-8-2007 16:02 EST

From the press release:

At Games Convention today, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced the introduction of PlayTV, a combined TV tuner and Personal Video Recorder (PVR) for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™). PlayTV will be available in UK, France, Italy, Germany and Spain early in 2008, with other PAL territories to follow in due course.

Designed to reinforce PS3's rightful place in the Living Room at the heart of the home entertainment needs, the twin channel TV tuner peripheral and PVR software turns PS3 into a state of the art TV recorder, allowing users to watch, pause and record live TV. PlayTV will also record individual programmes or whole series1 to the PS3 hard drive for viewing later on the family TV, or for transferring to the PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) for remote viewing outside of the home.

Operating on the widely available Digital Video Broadcasting- Terrestrial (DVB-T) format, PlayTV uses an incredibly quick and easy to use 7-day Electronic Programme Guide EPG2. that provides the navigation for programming the PVR features of PlayTV.

In line with PlayStation's focus on advanced technology made easy, PlayTV provides a host of added value features seldom seen on anything but the highest cost standalone PVRs:

· PlayTV's two TV tuners are High Definition ready and are able to view, record and play back High Definition signals in full HD1080P to fully complement PS3's already impressive High Definition credentials.

· Unlike the electronic programme guides found on conventional satellite and cable services, PlayTV's EPG is lightning fast, and simple to use with either PS3's SIXAXIS™ wireless controller or the BD remote control to really enhance viewing pleasure.

· Intuitive controls, single button help features, tutorial videos and simple navigation make PlayTV a positive joy to use compared with the complexity of some standalone PVR models

· Seamless connectivity with PSP allows you to set recordings, watch Live TV and recorded TV programmes remotely on PSP via a Wi-Fi connection (using Remote Play feature). Alternatively, quickly transcode recorded TV shows for high quality viewing to PSP by USB cable for remote viewing away from the home.

· Optional on-screen graphical display provides a wealth of information about the status of PlayTV and provides quick access to programme information, stored TV programmes and the controls to pause or record live TV. PlayTV will also set the correct interface for either Standard Definition or High Definition displays, maximising the viewing experience.

· PlayTV will evolve with time, with great added value functionality being updated via PLAYSTATION®Network; a feature that sets it above all other set top boxes. PlayTV will never be out of date.

"The introduction of PlayTV really will extend the already broad entertainment credentials of PS3, and makes it an exceptionally attractive proposition for the whole family," said David Reeves, President of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe."PS3 already provides High Definition gaming, Blu-ray Disc movies, music, video, photo album, web browsing and PLAYSTATION Network support. With the introduction of PlayTV's state of the art TV tuner and PVR functionality, PS3 is now the best choice of home entertainment hub for the whole family.

#2 zequal

zequal

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:14 PM

i am so getting this!!! blink.gif

#3 loetseite

loetseite

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:16 PM

Wow! blink.gif

Too bad all this will:

1) cost too much compared to dedicated devices sad.gif

2) be full of DRM crap dry.gif

#4 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:44 PM

This is something I am interested in. Particularly if/when we get HI-Def Freeview. I hope this can be updated to add features as and when.

#5 DrZeus

DrZeus

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:42 AM

A good idea but what happens when I'm recording 3hrs worth of TV one night and I want to, oh I don't know, play a GAME?

I dont want anything to be interrupting my gaming time and I am pretty sure you wont be able to do both at the same time

#6 Termina1

Termina1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE(DrZeus @ Aug 22 2007, 09:18 PM) View Post

A good idea but what happens when I'm recording 3hrs worth of TV one night and I want to, oh I don't know, play a GAME?

I dont want anything to be interrupting my gaming time and I am pretty sure you wont be able to do both at the same time

Im sure you arent the only one who would worry about that. But regardless its pretty cool, heres hoping the price is reasonable.

#7 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:04 AM

If This works like all other DVD/HDD recorders. You can record on the HDD whilst you watch another channel or play back optical media (Game or film)
As it comes with twin tuners it can certainly record one whilst you watch another or record 2 at once.
Recording to a HDD doesn't limit the functions of the optical Drive.

#8 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Aug 23 2007, 05:40 AM) View Post
If This works like all other DVD/HDD recorders. You can record on the HDD whilst you watch another channel or play back optical media (Game or film)
As it comes with twin tuners it can certainly record one whilst you watch another or record 2 at once.
Recording to a HDD doesn't limit the functions of the optical Drive.
I don't know much about the hardware, but I would assume it uses PS3 resources, the same resources that are assumed to be available for game developers.

Console games aren't programmed to split resources like a PC. Be it even the tiniest bit of RAM, or the drive head not being ready to read cache, or countless other things.

On the same hand viewing doesn't require maxed out resources. So, I would also assume watching a Blu-Ray movie and recording TV would be possible, if Sony desired.

#9 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:53 PM

It depends what the add on unit exactly is. Standalone units easily read and write to the HDD simultaneously. It is very unlikely the add on would need to copy to RAM. It may be that this unit only uses minimal resources. Not many games at the moment for the PS3 stretch its resources to such a limit.
I suppose there is no way of knowing until the unit gets nearer to launch.
Sony will however have to consider all this. I hope they do.

#10 DrZeus

DrZeus

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:15 PM

Even if the external device did all the processing itself (not likely) then the PS3 has at a minimum to deal with up to a 1080p steam of data through USB, Chipset and then to hard drive. That is going to effect performance on games any way you slice it (and this is minimum remember)

I'm not saying it wont work, i think it will be a great device but i think it will be a "can record and do TV stuff at any time OTHER than when playing games" type situation, which for me would be less than ideal and a dedicated box would be better.

#11 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(DrZeus @ Aug 23 2007, 02:51 PM) View Post

Even if the external device did all the processing itself (not likely) then the PS3 has at a minimum to deal with up to a 1080p steam of data through USB, Chipset and then to hard drive. That is going to effect performance on games any way you slice it (and this is minimum remember)

I'm not saying it wont work, i think it will be a great device but i think it will be a "can record and do TV stuff at any time OTHER than when playing games" type situation, which for me would be less than ideal and a dedicated box would be better.

Yes I see what you mean. I also agree a dedicated box would be the best solution (TBH Sky+ is hard to beat).
Still a worthwhile addition dependant on the price. I don't think it can completely replace the set top boxes we have now.

#12 cryptonic

cryptonic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:09 PM

Sony arnt dumb, especially with the slack they have been recieving with the priorities of the ps3, you will be able to play a game while recording a show... How do I know this, its common sense really.. There is a core in the cell processor which is currently not in use.. Theres your processing power. Also this external addon would be built for the ps3 specifically.. seeing as they have a core to work with the device will probably have memory integrated into it rather than processing power. In my view this core will be used for in game access to the ps3os along with the running of resources such as the tv recording.. Just my 2 cents... smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users