X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(nachomans @ Aug 24 2007, 12:53 PM) View Post

Ati dx10 series are based on 65nm, right?

I dont get it....i wont buy another 90nm gpu..... grr.gif

Just because theyre making the chip 65nm does not mean it will support directx 10. Capability wise, it is going to do the same thing, just run cooler and use less power.

#17 troy87

troy87

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:31 PM

how will we know if we are getting the falcon board from the box??

#18 blame canada

blame canada

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(troy87 @ Aug 24 2007, 09:07 AM) View Post

how will we know if we are getting the falcon board from the box??

Nobody has even seen a 65nm cpu xbox out in stores so how the hell would somebody know laugh.gif

#19 101499

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:42 PM

will the halo 3 360 have the falcon mobo or just the zephyr mobo?

#20 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:02 AM

^ probably the Zephyr.. I sure do hope it comes with the Falcon motherboard though.

I'm with the others, WTF! No 65nm GPU? I'm gonna go hit M$ up and be like, alright bitches, you best be putting 65nm GPUs in my 360, or I'm gonna pwnz0r you all!!!

..Or something like that.

#21 101499

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:06 AM

i couldnt care less what mobo it comes with. if it wont have a 65 nanometer gpu then there isnt all that much difference. it only corrects like 20%of the problem........

#22 Ace25

Ace25

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  • Interests:Modding anything I can...
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:38 AM

Hmmm, MS still won't get my business then. I have held off this long on even buying a 360 due to the massive failure rate (seen my roommate go through 3 xbox360's just this year). I still use my original Xbox daily, 90% for XBMC and 10% for emulators.. none for Xbox games any more. While I do think there are some good games on the 360, watching my roommate be on his 4th 360 since January and can't get a full 4 quarters of Madden08 in without it crashing makes me have no desire to waste my money.

When the 65nm version of both CPU and GPU are release, and a few months of testing has gone by to show it does resolve the heating problems, then I will probably buy a 360, until then, I will stick with my original xbox, Wii, and PC for entertainment.

A big suck it goes out to Microsoft for such a horrendous attempt at being the 1st of the new generation consoles. Sony was almost as bad IMO with the PS2, I went through 2 in 6 months before I gave up, returned the second one to the store and never bought another. I don't care how good or how many games are out for a console, if the console can't run them reliably what is the point? I don't know if I am the norm or not, but I feel that if I shell out hundreds of dollars on a luxury item like a game console and it constantly fails, I am not going to get burned again by buying another. I don't care how long the warranty is or how many times MS will "attempt" to repair a console, from reading online and watching my roommates experience all the consoles, even repaired ones, and dropping like flies. My roommates 4th console doesn't Red Ring like the others, now it just reboots randomly, ejects the disc, and flashed green. Ya, that's a whole lot better than a Red Ring isn't it? Not!

To this day I am still on my original 2001 Xbox with 3x 400GB HDs and the only thing that has failed was the rubber band that controls the eject mechanism on the DVD-Rom. $2 replacement part fixed that.

#23 axess68

axess68

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:46 AM

I don't get it. blink.gif uhh.gif

Another bonehead move by M$! They KNOW why the 360 overheats. They KNOW the main fault lies with the inadequate cooling for BOTH chips. Look at any PC CPU and any video card GPU. When they have heatsinks on them, they have the fans right on the heatsinks. So, naturally, they will heat up a LOT more using passive heatsinks and fans that are at a distance. Also, there is more heat generated by the GPU. Feel any disc that comes out of your 360 after even playing for a short amount of time. The DVD drive is located right above the GPU heatsink.

M$ also KNOWS that getting rid of the X-Clamps and doing a commercial version of the fix that so many of us have done (thanks to the awesome guys on the net) would stop the overheating at a phenomenal rate!

They KNOW this!

WHY won't they do that kind of fix if they won't go the way of making BOTH chips 65nm??

Do they WANT 360's to break down? It doesn't make sense to me at all. They have to pay all those techs to repair the 360's when they come in because they overheated with the 3RLOD. Is it a tax write-off or something?

If not, they I just don't understand this move on their part.

And I'm not a "nub". This is coming from a PC Tech who's been doing this kind of thing for the last 20 years.

#24 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:56 AM

Eh... eh...

Until GPU stops cooking 360's, failure rate will still be insane...

But...

People is insane... They keep on flooding M$ with money, buying current 360's on shelves...

Insane people throwing money to an insane company...

OK, that's it...

I've got insane myself now...

Bleh... Hi hi hi...

(Oh god, that's mean I can create myself a company and sell madly crappy consoles!!! Consumers will be used to crappy hardware and all will be fine for my wallet since I don't need to create an unfaulty design!!! Thanks M$ for opening the way to the official "faulty business"!!! Let's be insane!!!)

Edited by openxdkman, 25 August 2007 - 07:57 AM.

#25 zipperboy

zipperboy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:14 AM

so, if my 360 is stll under warrenty i could exchange it for one of the updated ones?

#26 101499

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:16 PM

if you have the receipt and it has a problem w/ it.

#27 FCTE

FCTE

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:37 PM

Wow, it just keeps getting more comical, half of a new and improved 360 and the hottest processor stays the same. laugh.gif

#28 axess68

axess68

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(FCTE @ Aug 25 2007, 04:13 PM) View Post

Wow, it just keeps getting more comical, half of a new and improved 360 and the hottest processor stays the same. laugh.gif

LOL! Exactly!

I can't wait to start hearing about the 3RLOD happening with these!

I talked to a friend of mine over Xbox Live today and told him about this. He's pi$$ed! He is on his 3rd 360 and now his new one is freezing up and the tray won't eject every time like it's supposed to. So, he'll have to mail off his 360 to M$ yet AGAIN! I also know people who are on their 5th and 6th time returning their 360's!

So, THIS is M$'s solution?? This is just too much. M$ is out to lunch business-wise.

They KNOW what the problem is! Why don't they FIX IT?!? If WE can do it by replacing the insanely stupid X-Clamps, then why can't they?? What the he11 is their problem??

They have arguably the BEST lineup/selection of games..... and yet the console you play them on is doomed to fail. So, they come up with an alternative which only fixes HALF the problem?!?! WTF???

Edited by axess68, 25 August 2007 - 08:17 PM.

#29 LoRd_SnOw

LoRd_SnOw

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:38 AM

This is pointless, it just means for them cost reductions for the 65nm CPU chipset. Thats if they dont redesign the motherboard "entirely". Knowing them they will probably move some stuff around and probably leave both cpu/gpu sinks and clamps extra closer this time... *sarcasm*

Edited by LoRd_SnOw, 26 August 2007 - 07:39 AM.

#30 Druggedpolak

Druggedpolak

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:15 AM

Actually Ati's r600 (aka 2900xt) is 80nm and the new r650 will be 65nm, but won't be out for a long while. Even the Nvidia 8800 series is 90nm. There is no way they could shrink it to 65nm before top of the line graphics cards do. This cpu die shrink is great and will definitely help. Hopefully they will make other revisions to make the 360 more reliable.
Most of you have no clue what you are talking about and you should really calm down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users