• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:50 AM

Jason Rubin (Naughty Dog): Console Prices 'Out Of Hand'
Posted by XanTium | August 24 21:50 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From gamasutra.com:

In an in-depth new interview posted on Gamasutra today, former Naughty Dog co-founder Jason Rubin has been discussing the state of the game biz, claiming that, with the exception of Nintendo, game console makers "have gotten caught up in the technology", with prices "a little bit out of hand" for the end user, suggesting: "I don't think it's about technology. It's about entertainment."

Rubin's concern is a matter of installed bases and maximizing an audience for a game, claiming, "I would much rather have a console that's 30% weaker and have three times as many of them in the first year sold, so your game reaches a broader audience, and you can be a little bit more aggressive with your budgets up front and things like that.

[FS] gamasutra.com

#2 47_M450N_47

47_M450N_47

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding, anything with computers and networking. Gaming. Shooting stuff, blowing up stuff.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:34 AM

Yeah, they are expensive. I want a powerful console though, when I buy a new one, I expect a large jump in graphics, physics, AI, etc. It's worth it to have to throw down some money to get a console that's 5x better than the last.

#3 Johnwinger

Johnwinger

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:36 AM

Who the **** is Jason Rubin and why is he commenting on something he doesn't know jack **** about?

This guy is seriously a complete idiot.

Nintendo is selling more consoles that the other platforms. True

However Jason's Rubin FAILED to mention that the Wii has a very poor attachment rate to games. Consoles are selling, but not games.

Also, the majority of the people do not want a weak crap console for less money. Once again Jason Rubin doesn't even play videogames, thus he's a complete idiot and has no right to comment on the console wars and hence someone should take a broken xbox and slam it over his head.

#4 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:42 AM

only thing i thought of was:

IPB Image

from Rings of Power on Genesis back in the day.

laugh.gif

#5 Legendary Badass

Legendary Badass

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:55 AM

QUOTE(ILLusions0fGrander @ Aug 24 2007, 09:18 PM) View Post

only thing i thought of was:

IPB Image

from Rings of Power on Genesis back in the day.

laugh.gif

If that failed picture is what I think it is, that was one far fetched code.

#6 PerfectGun

PerfectGun

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:56 AM

Is this person still with Naughty Dog??

I say boo-hoo, that's what they get for releasing their titles on the overpriced Sony platform.

Xbox folks should give 2 squats about what this guy has to say..

Does this guy know you can get a Core 360 for about the price of a Wii? Not that he would care.

Edited by PerfectGun, 25 August 2007 - 02:57 AM.

#7 tet2094

tet2094

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:57 AM

Way of the Warrior , thats all i got to say !! lol

#8 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:34 AM

I agree with this guy completely.

#9 Shonk

Shonk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:43 AM

this guy's an idiot
he should just go back to his sega genesis

if every new console came out as slow as the wii
i would still be useing my xbox 1

i got the 360 for the superior graphics and hd resolution

yes the games are important but so is the console

wtf is he moaning about anyway

i paid 140 for a 360 new
the wii is 179.99

#10 quarky42

quarky42

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:26 AM

I have the Wii and the 360. I've had the 360 since before it came out. Yes I won it on one of those promotions.

The Wii is VERY good at what it does. Sure it is a little underpowered, but most developers don't have a problem with it.

With Microshaft and Sony Crapstation budgets, those two companies should have been able to come up with something that was far more affordable and far more reliable.

If my 360 was as reliable as my Wii was, then I wouldn't have had to send it back twice! Other people wouldn't have had to send 6 or 8 back!

Wii games are just plain fun. Some of them don't have as much "polish" as they should have, but they are still fun. That is what gaming is all about. I don't give two shits about graphics if the game play is pathetic.

I've been playing Oblivion on the 360 and the fucking thing locks up after as little as 30 minutes of play. That's bullshit. None of my Wii games lock up or give me "dirty disc errors" on discs that are FLAWLESS. All of my 360 games lock up....on 3 different xboxes. That is pathetic. The 360 has open air on all sides and the power supply has tons of air, the power is going through a filter & supressor and it still screws up. Even Windows on my desktops and laptops work better than my 360. That is sad.

This guy has a very good point. I would like to see my friends be able to afford these consoles... one of them finally got one a few months ago and he still paid way too much for it.

-----------

I stood in line for a couple hours before midnight for my Wii back in January. Most of the people in the line were ecstatic that they could play the older games and gamecube games. The attach rate does not take into account downloaded games or gamecube game sales. Also, I bought several Wii games that have tons of gameplay value: Super Monkeyball is great for having people over, Rampage is just good plain fun destroying a city and reminiscing on when I used to do it at the arcade on the old one, and Wii play is still fun after all these months.

Any console that makes my wife want to join in and start bowling, play tennis, or play party games is great. Screw Microsoft and Sony for not realizing that they had their heads stuffed far up their corporate asses. At least Microshaft takes a peek outside of it's collective butthole every once in a while...otherwise you wouldn't have gotten that extended warranty against the RROD. Now I wish they would extend that warranty to craptastic DVD drives that they put in these things. Most of my read errors are coming from a drive that simply can't "hang" with the demand that is put on it. It gets read errors on discs that are in perfect condition.

#11 flashfreak

flashfreak

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:42 AM

I agree with a lot of the stuff he said. Things are getting caught up a bit much in the technology and 'being better than the other team'. Im just thinking, i heard the PS3 is meant to last 10 years, does that mean they wont be releasing a PS4 when the next xbox is released? It would be funny, if MS's next console was same tech stats as it is now, with awesome graphics games, it'd be cheaper in the future and could rock.

Just thinking, nintendo could stay with a wii type thing next round, keep it very simple and be the cheapest, ms could use about the same hardware as they do now and be the still cheap option, then sony would go nuts and go all technical and be too expensive, again tongue.gif I dunno, im tired and babbling on.

In the future on like the xbox 5 or 6, do u reckon they'll be downloading gears of war as an arcade title? 800msp and 4gig download?

#12 p-niiice

p-niiice

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:44 AM

Jason, shut up and make a worthwhile game this gen. We like our powerful, expensive consoles.

Of course game makers want more units off the shelves...more units = more games.

#13 Moonkeeper

Moonkeeper

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:56 AM

I can understand the issue. XBMC on Xbox is the perfect example of a console that still had a ton of potential left when it was abandoned. Most games that have come out for the new generation could probably have been released on previous console generations at a lower price with simply a graphics downgrade and gameplay unaffected. If a less graphical version of Oblivion and Two Worlds existed on a previous generation console, I still would not own a 360 (the only current-gen system I own).

Edited by Moonkeeper, 25 August 2007 - 05:57 AM.

#14 sinister slipknot

sinister slipknot

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:56 AM

former Naughty Dog co-founder

How can your formerly co-found something? You either did or you didn't wink.gif

I sort of agree, but people want awesome graphics and games that don't take forever to load, technology isn't cheap and people are willing to pay the right ammount of money to get it, if they're not, they buy the Wii.

#15 theTick197

theTick197

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:04 PM

Sounds like this guy should develop for the Dreamcast. Those games were tons of fun. You know, its a pretty cheap console too, i bought mine with 8 games a vmu and a controller for 35 bucks. it still has games being put out for it and me thinks that the dreamcast will be supported longer than the PS2's "10 year life span" and also i think that Sony is just doing that as a gimmick. But i cant stand Nintindo right now. The last 2 consoles they have put out have been to underpowered and lack to many important features for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users