• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jidoku

jidoku

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:20 PM

Has anyone ever encountered this frustrating problem before? I've been playing splinter cell: DA for a lot of times now then one day all of a sudden i was playing it, then changed to dead rising for me to play next, then after about an hour and a half i tried playing Splinter cell again but the damn thing suddenly wont read the frigin game dvd!!

Before when i put in the dvd it would normally just read the disc and you can hear the drive spinning as it would normally whenever you put in a game right? but this time when i popped it in it just made this single "Bzzzt" sound and instead of seeing the "reading" on the tray icon it just goes back to "open tray" It's frustrating! Now even my Rainbow six Vegas don't work and I've been playing that a lot of times too.

And it's not like the disc is scratched or dirty or anything. But the other games work fine, like my GRAW 2 no problems there. AAAARGH!! Even my copy of bioshock suddenly won't work! Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my DVD drive? Could the lens be just dirty or something? Any insight to this frustrating problem would be great.
[size=3]

Edited by jidoku, 26 August 2007 - 01:23 PM.

#2 duckmansweb

duckmansweb

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:40 PM

your laser has died or is dying , replace it , thats what the problem is

#3 somacast

somacast

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:03 AM

i agree with the dying laser idea , well.......

this might sound funny , but try changing position of ur 360 from virtical to horizontal or other way around and c ........... wink.gif

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,790 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:34 AM

You can try giving it a good cleaning and then the POT Tweak on it before replacing it, that may straighten it up for awhile longer and if it does get it reading a disc or two it's having issues with you'll know the thing is a little on the weak side and should be replaced before long anyway.

#5 jidoku

jidoku

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(RDC @ Sep 1 2007, 02:10 PM) View Post

You can try giving it a good cleaning and then the POT Tweak on it before replacing it, that may straighten it up for awhile longer and if it does get it reading a disc or two it's having issues with you'll know the thing is a little on the weak side and should be replaced before long anyway.

I've seen the tutorial but is there an alternative i can use? Cuz i don't have a multimeter, and also a micro electronic screwdriver. What other stuff can i use?

#6 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 03:07 PM

Luck is about the only other way you'll adjust the POT and not run it too far down and burn it up, so either get or borrow the tools to do it right or just replace the laser, provided ya have a soldering iron since you'll need it to remove the Anti-Static point of the new one before installing it and a small phillips head screwdriver to get the thing out.

About the only 'free' no tool method is to eject the tray and blow in there, but that's not gonna get ya very far for a permanent fix at all and may not even do a thing for it. If you can at least take the drive apart you can manually clean the lens with a Q-tip and some good rubbing alcohol, 90% at least. Do NOT use fingernail polish remover, some have Acetone in them and that's just going to ruin the lens for good and then the laser will need replaced anyway. If cleaning it doesn't work then all you're left with is the POT Tweak, replacing the laser or prayer, take yer pick. wink.gif

#7 jidoku

jidoku

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE(RDC @ Sep 2 2007, 10:43 PM) View Post

Luck is about the only other way you'll adjust the POT and not run it too far down and burn it up, so either get or borrow the tools to do it right or just replace the laser, provided ya have a soldering iron since you'll need it to remove the Anti-Static point of the new one before installing it and a small phillips head screwdriver to get the thing out.

About the only 'free' no tool method is to eject the tray and blow in there, but that's not gonna get ya very far for a permanent fix at all and may not even do a thing for it. If you can at least take the drive apart you can manually clean the lens with a Q-tip and some good rubbing alcohol, 90% at least. Do NOT use fingernail polish remover, some have Acetone in them and that's just going to ruin the lens for good and then the laser will need replaced anyway. If cleaning it doesn't work then all you're left with is the POT Tweak, replacing the laser or prayer, take yer pick. wink.gif

Hmmm... I see. Oh and one more new problem surfaced this morning. Luckily i was able to play Bioshock, then for about an hour or more the game suddenly froze. So i was thinking "damn! The RROD is back!?!" so then i turned the system off then back on, but no RROD. So i let it rest for 30 mins then tried playing GRAW 2 then about 10 mins into the game it froze again. So now i'm thinking "WTF Is wrong now!?" So i tried Dead rising which is an original copy but the damn thing froze again! Could this new problem also be because of the lens???

#8 jidoku

jidoku

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:05 PM

[quote name='jidoku' date='Sep 3 2007, 05:16 AM' post='4099297']
Hmmm... I see. Oh and one more thing. About the freezing while playing thing in my other post. Since i already did the xclamp mod, Do i have to tighten the screws to prevent further freezing during game play? Had the xclamp mod for 2 months now and no problems except now though.

#9 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:18 PM

If you've already done the X-clamp replacement mod and it's freezing up on ya now it's probably not gonna be long before it 3RLOD again. You don't want to keep tightening the heatsinks over and over, that can get to a point where it's too much and something is gonna give. If you haven't heat gunned or done the towel trick to it sending it off to be reflowed properly would be your best bet at a more longer lasting fix.

#10 jidoku

jidoku

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE(RDC @ Sep 3 2007, 05:54 AM) View Post

If you've already done the X-clamp replacement mod and it's freezing up on ya now it's probably not gonna be long before it 3RLOD again. You don't want to keep tightening the heatsinks over and over, that can get to a point where it's too much and something is gonna give. If you haven't heat gunned or done the towel trick to it sending it off to be reflowed properly would be your best bet at a more longer lasting fix.

I see. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated! biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users