#1 Xboxman20

Xboxman20

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:59 PM

Well, I am in the market for a new HDTV around 42 inches or bigger but 42 inches is fine with me for the most part. I have been reading up on a few but would like to ask the community if they have any information on any websites that have user ratings + reviews for hdtvs.

Possibly a forum or a few websites with budget HDTVs with their opinions and feedback so I can purchase a quality hdtv.

Money isn't necessarily limited but would rather not spend 3-4 grand on a television with nothing much more out of it.

I am 19, so everytime I was in best buy, circuit city bla bla bla looking for televisions, they had always asked how old I am and were constantly asking, how much can you afford, when I tell them, they look at me as if I was getting help from the parents. Shrug, I guess teenagers who want to make a good living cant make okay money for being young. I am trying to keep the price range in between 1,300-2,000 or so, or around that price maybe a little over 2 grand.

If you have any knowledge or any experience or reviews of televisions, which models to stay away from, since I know there are certain brands which just shouldn't be in buisiness but why would a stores salesmen tell you that when they just want your purchase...

Thank You in Advance,
Scott

#2 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:13 PM

moving

#3 SC10-E

SC10-E

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:PC Building, Xbox and wii, movies, music, other media
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:03 PM

Be sure to get LCD or DLP, LCD Being the best. Plasmas are just too obsolete for the price.

#4 Perplexer

Perplexer

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Interests:Fish with big teeth

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE(SC10-E @ Aug 27 2007, 03:39 PM) View Post

Be sure to get LCD or DLP, LCD Being the best. Plasmas are just too obsolete for the price.

Oh no you didn't!

I absolutely prefer the image on a plasma over LCD or DLP. Plasma is in no way obsolete, and are now usually priced LOWER than LCD.

Anyway, Circuit City has the Sharp Aquos 52" 1080P LCD set for $2500. You can easily find a 10% off coupon (I got mine since I'm a AAA member) to bring the price to $2250. If I didn't already have a 50" plasma, I'd be all over this...

#5 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:19 PM

I've always preferred an LCD picture over a plasma. But typically I'd take a plasma over a DLP.

But if you're gonna be rockin' 1080p.. it's not really going to make a difference.

Plasmas tend to have a cheaper price-to-size ratio

#6 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie & Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:43 PM

42" Westy w3 (1080p LCD) for 1499 on the egg right now....

#7 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE(Perplexer @ Aug 29 2007, 01:06 PM) View Post

Oh no you didn't!

I absolutely prefer the image on a plasma over LCD or DLP. Plasma is in no way obsolete, and are now usually priced LOWER than LCD.

+1 for Pioneer Plasmas! biggrin.gif

#8 SC10-E

SC10-E

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:PC Building, Xbox and wii, movies, music, other media
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:42 AM

I apologize, obsolete wasn't the right term.

I have one and I think that even though the prices for them are lower, that the lower price doesn't match up with the same size LCD for a higher one.

Perhaps technically LCD's have the best picture and that is why the prices are lower for Plasmas though.

I have never seen a DLP TV picture. But my local movie theater just switched to DLP powered digital cameras (a little DLP ad comes on before previews) and it looks godly. And they switched just in time for the Special effects of Transformers. ohmy.gif

Every screening room has either THX or DTS, and that helps too smile.gif

#9 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:53 PM

Perhaps technically LCD's have the best picture and that is why the prices are lower for Plasmas though.

Who sold you that one?
In what respect?

#10 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:08 PM

If you're going 42" I'm going to recommend Plasma... That's the size range where plamas start out performing LCDs.

The problem with plasmas is they need a lot of space for the pixels so they do poorly on smaller screens and you wind up with a lot of shortcomings. LCDs are the other way around and tend to do poorly in the larger sizes again do to the way the technology works.

I don't have any brand or model suggestions but really there is no "best" TV technology and anyone who tells you otherwise is either a liar or an idiot.

DLPs look great but it's a projection technology so don't bother unless you're buying a projector or you're comfortable with a rear projection TV (which has the downsides of short lifespans due to bulbs, narrow viewing angles, and low brightness).

DLPs only really work for dedicated theater/media rooms that don't see much/any sunlight and have a ridged seating arrangement. They do not work well for most living room/bed room scenarios

I wrote an article on choosing the best technology FOR YOU based on your room and media requirements.

http://thoughthead.com/?p=55

One problem with both LCDs and Plasmas is that out of all the technologies they're the slowest so unless you do your research on a particular set you'll wind up with image ghosting which is horrible for gaming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users