3800sc

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:17 PM

Can a USB hard drive be used with the xbox? I have allready added the USB ports. I know only certain pen and jump drives will work correctly. Would it be safe to try my USB hard disk or am I asking for trouble? I'd hate to blow it up like I did 3 of my jump drives smile.gif

Thanks!

#2 Infamous Ob

Infamous Ob

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • Interests:Family&Children, Traveling, Skateboarding, Cars, Electronics, Music, G4TV, Nice Homes, GTA Modding
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:55 PM

Yeah, it should work... What are Jump drives? You mean Flash Drives?

#3 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:25 PM

Hi,

the XBMC dashboard can handle USB disk's that are FAT or FAT32 formatted. The M$dash will see your disk as a giant game save device and will probably ask to format it....

As the xbox USB ports are 1.1, I don't think something like video streaming from that disk will be possible.

If you made your own usb ports, and got the connections right from the first time, than I don't see how you could fry your jumpdrives. Maybe you reformatted them in the xbox so that they are no longer recognised by your pc?

Why do you want to connect your USB drive to your xbox?

regards.

#4 bobnkill

bobnkill

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:04 PM

I'm interested to have additional space in my modded xbox mostly for video (avi files). Can I buy a usb adapter on ebay and connect an external hard drive to my xbox?

obcd What do you means by that: If you made your own usb ports...

#5 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:25 AM

Your xbox will recognize it as a HUGE memory card only. . . that's it.

As already mentioned, the xbox has USB 1.1 so transfer speeds are way too slow for storing games/media on it anyway.

#6 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:17 AM

Hi,

"Made your own USB port"

Some people take a cable from a defective controller and a USB cable with a Female A connector on it. They solder the proper wires together and get their own gameport to usb cable that way. Some even install a female USB A connector in their xbox and connect it to the wires of a gameport.

I don't think it is wourth the effort as you can buy those cables pre made for approx 4 euro on Ebay. (excluding shipping costs)
In the early days, when the cables were not available, it was the only possible solution.

XBMC does recognise FAT formatted harddisks. I don't think any other dashboard or application does. I will check if it is fast enough to play divx movies.

regards.

#7 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:08 AM

I connected my LaCie 250GB USB harddisk. It was not recognised in XBMC.

I connected a 1GB Sandisk Cruzer USB memory stick. It was recognised.

It came up in the Xbmc File Explorer. I could look at a divx movie that was on it. (Ripped from a old VHS cassette in original 320 x 240 format and converted to divx afterwards.) I had no problem with stuttering. It seems to play fine. The stick is fat formatted.

When I connect the LaCie to my pc, it also takes a long time before it is recognised.

#8 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE(obcd @ Sep 5 2007, 10:44 AM) View Post
I could look at a divx movie that was on it. (Ripped from a old VHS cassette in original 320 x 240 format and converted to divx afterwards.) I had no problem with stuttering. It seems to play fine.

With a low res video like that, streaming is possible, but any SD or HD video content will have difficulty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users