• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:26 AM

X07 Canada - Running on Generators
Posted by XanTium | August 29 22:26 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From gamerscoreblog.com (FYI: MS owned blog):

As in years past, Xbox.com/ca's Jade, Jeff, and the rest of the Canada team kept the doors open into the evening, and invited 150 community members to check out some of the games coming this fall. Check out their coverage on Xbox.com/ca.

There were more than 60 stations set up with Xbox 360 and Games for Windows titles, from Microsoft, EA, Activision, 2K, Sega, Eidos, Midway, Namco Bandai, THQ, Ubisoft, and Vivendi. The Bungie guys were on site, answering quesitons, and showing part of the single player campaign, and giving away a few awesome prizes. And everyone left with some cool SWAG, and everyone seemed to have a great time.

At about 3, someone in the street hit a power pole or transformer or something, and the entire block lost power. The team scrambled to find generators, and we got most of the games back up and running after the community arrived. Despite having no lights or air conditioning, the event was successful in letting everyone hang out with each others, play some pre-release games, and get questions answered. Thanks for your patience, and we're glad you all stuck around and had a great time.

#2 flashfreak

flashfreak

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:58 AM

Wow, that would have been quite a few generators. At least the night didnt die. Does anyone know when the videos and stuff will be up on the marketplace?

#3 proger

proger

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:58 AM

Wow.

"Scrambled to find generators"
You would think they wouldve planned for a situation like this or something. Power isn't all that reliable at times. blink.gif

#4 HSDEMONZ

HSDEMONZ

He Who Posts Alot...

• Admin
  • 12,220 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:02 AM

Power in Canada is extremely reliable.

It's not often someone takes out a power pole and wipes a block out up here.

#5 JBmtk

JBmtk

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:06 AM

sony was behind this

#6 proger

proger

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE(JBmtk @ Aug 29 2007, 10:42 PM) View Post

sony was behind this

"New line of Sony cars crash into electric poles, all supplying power to microsoft buildings and events."

#7 0794

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:medicine, engineering, Jeeps, technology, automobiles, and just about everything...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE(proger @ Aug 29 2007, 09:34 PM) View Post

"Scrambled to find generators"
You would think they wouldve planned for a situation like this or something. Power isn't all that reliable at times. blink.gif

i only have to assume that you are kidding because who plans for a car to take out a transformer - they might as well have planned for tornadoes, earthquakes, and hurricanes while they were at it - which would of course have meant that the event took place in an underground, watertight, suspended bunker...

i am glad that something as unpredictable as this didn't ruin the event for everyone...

#8 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:38 AM

Why don't they have UPS blink.gif

#9 proger

proger

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(794 @ Aug 29 2007, 11:15 PM) View Post

i only have to assume that you are kidding because who plans for a car to take out a transformer - they might as well have planned for tornadoes, earthquakes, and hurricanes while they were at it - which would of course have meant that the event took place in an underground, watertight, suspended bunker...

...What I meant was they should've planned for something like a power outage. rolleyes.gif

Edited by proger, 30 August 2007 - 11:26 AM.

#10 jonny_eh

jonny_eh

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:34 PM

I'm not surprised the city of Toronto fucked up. They should've held the event in Ottawa laugh.gif

#11 0794

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:medicine, engineering, Jeeps, technology, automobiles, and just about everything...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE(proger @ Aug 30 2007, 06:02 AM) View Post

...What I meant was they should've planned for something like a power outage. rolleyes.gif

ahh, now that would be more understandable...but still i would find it hard for event sponsors to consider paying for access to generators on the chance that they may be needed...i have been to numerous events without a hiccup on the power end...

#12 xboxgamer999

xboxgamer999

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE(jonny_eh @ Aug 30 2007, 08:10 AM) View Post

I'm not surprised the city of Toronto fucked up. They should've held the event in Ottawa laugh.gif

Well I wouldn't necessarily say that, as much as it could've of been any number of things that could've caused this power outtage. Toronto Hydro does have a good response time with regards to repairs on downed transformers or lines, that's within hours not days.

As it was stated before by 0794 and proger, the organizers should've been prepared for this regardless. Having said that, there are times when I wonder what city council is smoking when they pass certain by laws. laugh.gif

#13 Giga_Death

Giga_Death

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:04 AM

getting those generators must've been hella expensive. I wonder how much one of things cost to rent out and where the money came from (MS' own pockets?).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users