Photo

Microsoft using new Warranty Seals on Xbox 360?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 Xbox-Scene

Xbox-Scene

Memba Numero Uno

• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:00 AM

Microsoft using new Warranty Seals on Xbox 360?
Posted by XanTium | August 30 00:00 EST | News Category: Xbox360

Several European forums like gueux-forum.net and xbox360-tribe.org report that they got their Xbox 360 back from repair with a new warranty seal.
It's not clear right now if this is only on Xbox360s coming from the repair centers or if new units will get this new seal too. However it wouldn't be the first time the repair centers introduce something new, the new GPU heatsink also came first on units coming from a repair center and appeared only later in retail units.
The warranty seal is located under the face plate. The new sticker with a metallic line looks a lot like the seals used by Microsoft with OEM version of Windows (that you are supposed to stick on the back of your PC).
Xbo360 warranty seal sticker Xbo360 warranty seal sticker

#2 HSDEMONZ

HSDEMONZ

He Who Posts Alot...

• Admin
  • 12,220 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:44 AM

paper stickers is a far better choice for MS than the foil shit we're used to. while not impossible.. alot more people will fuck up the removal of paper.

#3 SuperStition

SuperStition

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:51 AM

QUOTE(HSDEMONZ @ Aug 30 2007, 12:20 AM) View Post

paper stickers is a far better choice for MS than the foil shit we're used to. while not impossible.. alot more people will fuck up the removal of paper.

nuff said.

#4 ZakMcRofl

ZakMcRofl

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:05 AM

Luckily warranty seals mean jack shit - at least in Germany. A customer is free to open devices or have them opened by an expert. PC dealers tried the seal to prevent people from tampering with their desktop PCs but got thrown out of the courts.

#5 Marcian

Marcian

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE(ZakMcRofl @ Aug 30 2007, 07:41 AM) View Post

Luckily warranty seals mean jack shit - at least in Germany. A customer is free to open devices or have them opened by an expert. PC dealers tried the seal to prevent people from tampering with their desktop PCs but got thrown out of the courts.

Don't be too sure about that. The thing is true for desktop PCs. They are called "open systems" (offenes System) and everybody is allowed to expand those systems because this is a quite regular task. Expanding memory; replacing graphics card etc.
This regulation isn't valid for "closed systems" or are there any slots in your Xbox for expanding the memory?

#6 g8crapachino

g8crapachino

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE(ZakMcRofl @ Aug 30 2007, 05:41 AM) View Post

You're assumption is wrong. A PC is an expandable/upgradable device with slots. It's designed to be opened and upgraded by the user. A game console is a closed device that is not upgradable; there is nothing the average user would ever need to service. Courts are very specific when it comes to these details.

#7 the soul poet

the soul poet

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:14 AM

I thought we couldn't talk about tampering with the warranty seal on this site? huh.gif

#8 jimbobjim

jimbobjim

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Interests:Sniffing farts under the covers.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:31 AM

The location of the seal is it's weak point, when you open the front clips and pull the console open the plastic slides out from underneath leaving no damage. I've opened a few consoles were the seal has stayed intact without even trying.

I don't know what idiots M$ have on their staff but they need to put it somwhere better, ie... over the holes at the rear of the console.

IPB Image

#9 Exobex

Exobex

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:41 AM

My guess is that the recessed area at the front (between the drive and the ROL) is where a full-sized seal is meant to go. If they did this they'd completely cover one of the catches, so no way to open without breaking the seal. But of course, they already know this because they designed it!

(and before anyone talks about fraud, telling people there's a problem with the power cable instead of recalling faulty Foxlink power supplies - now THAT's fraud)

QUOTE(the soul poet @ Aug 30 2007, 08:50 AM) View Post

I thought we couldn't talk about tampering with the warranty seal on this site? huh.gif

Edited by Chancer, 30 August 2007 - 09:20 AM.

#10 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE(the soul poet @ Aug 30 2007, 08:50 AM) View Post

You can't the posters here that have described methods to remove the seal without damage or anyone who advocates removing the seal in a way not to damage it will discover that.
If you previously posted but can no longer see your post, then your post falls into that category so take it that your warning level has been increased and your posting restricted.
Exobex if you single out a member,who quite rightly reported your previous fraud post, again in an open post you too can count on your 3rd strike here and that will mean you are gone. The thread and members name you posted are removed.

on topic.
The more they do to stop people getting seals off without damage the better. It costs extra time and work to have to repair something that has been stuffed up all over the place by non qualified or amateur repair attempts. You know the scenario much like the box you buy off ebay stating that the dvd does not read discs. You buy it replace the DVD, but find a trail of man made faults that Joe Bloggs created inadvertently whilst attempting to repair the drive, having convinced himself it is easy to repair this type of stuff.
If you think you are experienced enough to mod and repair 360s then you don't need to worry about the seal. You can break it knowing it will never have to be returned because you have the skill to fix it yourself ..right?

Edited by Chancer, 30 August 2007 - 09:41 AM.

#11 kimnkk

kimnkk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:14 AM

I'm in Australia and sent one of my 360's back around 4-5 weeks ago and i got the new sticker. I didn't think it was this new, but i haven't RMA'd an Xbox in ages. I got the new heatsink added but didn't get the BenQ drive.

#12 DaShiZNiT

DaShiZNiT

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:29 AM

too bad most retailers dont even pop off the faceplate during a return ?;(?

#13 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Aug 30 2007, 09:54 AM) View Post

You can't the posters here that have described methods to remove the seal without damage or anyone who advocates removing the seal in a way not to damage it will discover that.
If you previously posted but can no longer see your post, then your post falls into that category so take it that your warning level has been increased and your posting restricted.
Exobex if you single out a member,who quite rightly reported your previous fraud post, again in an open post you too can count on your 3rd strike here and that will mean you are gone. The thread and members name you posted are removed.

on topic.
The more they do to stop people getting seals off without damage the better. It costs extra time and work to have to repair something that has been stuffed up all over the place by non qualified or amateur repair attempts. You know the scenario much like the box you buy off ebay stating that the dvd does not read discs. You buy it replace the DVD, but find a trail of man made faults that Joe Bloggs created inadvertently whilst attempting to repair the drive, having convinced himself it is easy to repair this type of stuff.
If you think you are experienced enough to mod and repair 360s then you don't need to worry about the seal. You can break it knowing it will never have to be returned because you have the skill to fix it yourself ..right?

I agree. I believe my earlier post must have been taken out of context because I in no way endorse intentional fraud about getting away around the warranty seal. I simply was stating how just taking the unit apart does not always break the seal. This is a good thing M$ is now doing and should have been done a long time ago.

#14 SuRgEx360

SuRgEx360

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:51 AM

IMO Microsoft should have done this type of security seal from day 1.

people who remove the warrantie sticker or re apply it after screwing up
a mod attempt is just fraud. and then return the system is fraud.

if you break the seal you should not retuen it to the store.

the more retail stores know whats going on with this situation the better.

a funny thing happened the other day while i was in tescos. a kid was trying to return his
xbox360 and the customer service manager was just about to give him his money,

he was looking rather shifty and nervous, i thort some thing wasnt right here

another assistant told the manager to checked under the faceplate and the kid got refused a refund

LMFAO

Edited by SuRgEx360, 30 August 2007 - 11:52 AM.

#15 Geremia

Geremia

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:42 PM

MS is using this kind of stickers since november2006 on the hd-dvd addon, i removed mine with no diffficult at all, still intact and no color changes.

here is a picture i found on google

IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users