• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jnms

jnms

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:59 PM

It seems that BioShock is chock full of symbolism as used in real world "mind-programming" techniques. Anyone noticed this? I don't think anything "bad" is going on - but it may explain part of the reason why the game feels so creepy...

Check this out:

Symbolism and Mind Programming in BioShock

Edited by jnms, 30 August 2007 - 03:00 PM.

#2 FCTE

FCTE

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:55 AM

Interesting.

It also has a ton of Biblical parallels.

Edited by FCTE, 31 August 2007 - 01:01 AM.

#3 deernet

deernet

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:26 AM

Isn't that a very trustworthy website? I also found this "interesting". http://www.thethough...-space-giraffe/
What are you supposed to get from this article? Get stoned and play Space Giraffe and you'll have an out of body sensory experience?

My thoughts on this are that you can get from anything (movie, video game, tv show) what you are ready to receive from it. If your mind is open enough to suggestion, as in Bioshock morality questions, to be affected by decisions of right and wrong from a video game, you have deeper underlying problems.

I also find it interesting that this is jnms first post on the day that he/she joined.

#4 Sick Wit itt

Sick Wit itt

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 6 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:18 PM

nice source yea i bought this game 1 week ago and it is pretty creppy.

#5 Drafter

Drafter

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE(deernet @ Aug 30 2007, 11:02 PM) View Post

I also find it interesting that this is jnms first post on the day that he/she joined.

I also find it interesting.

But as for the rest of this post. Its a little extreme i think. Of course the game has some sort of mind control, it keeps my mind wanting to play more, and learn more about this twisted little world. Everything you read or watch or play, does things with your mind, otherwise you probably wouldnt do it.

#6 smartygre1

smartygre1

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:48 PM

The mind control stuff was done on purpose. I just read in EGM that the developers wanted to show how in almost all video games, while you think you have freedom, you are really on rails. In GTA, for instance, you think that you can go around and do anythng, but if you want the game to advance you have to "follow orders" and complete the missions. Bioshock just takes it to the next level and lets you know that you are not free. I won't say more as I don't want to spoil it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users