11 replies to this topic

#1 oddj0b

oddj0b

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:25 PM

Hi guys.

I have an Xbox360 with flashed Samsung MS25. Evidently I have opened the case and voided the warranty. I've recently gotten the three flashing red rings... mad.gif

I am wondering what my options are now. If I send it to Microsoft to be fixed, will they still fix it, even it's for a fee? Will it help if I flash the original firmware back on the drive as well?

My second idea was to buy a 360 core and just use all my old accessories. However, I was wondering if it would be possible to use my old Samsung DVD reader, already flashed, if I change the firmware's passkey.

I though this would be a common question but I couldn't find it when searching this forum... thanks in advance!

#2 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:10 PM

do an x-clamp replacmenet to try and repair it.

you can find info in 360 general/hardware section.

#3 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:15 PM

If I send it to Microsoft to be fixed, will they still fix it, even it's for a fee?

That is fraud and we do not support that here since it's against MS's TOS since you opened it and it's not fair on the regular guy that sends it in with valid warranty and he/she has to wait for someone who opened there 360 and probably they messed it up in the first place.

#4 oddj0b

oddj0b

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE(bucko @ Sep 1 2007, 04:51 PM) View Post

That is fraud and we do not support that here since it's against MS's TOS since you opened it and it's not fair on the regular guy that sends it in with valid warranty and he/she has to wait for someone who opened there 360 and probably they messed it up in the first place.

Well that's why I said, "even if it's for a fee"... I know I've opened it up and lost my warranty. I don't mind paying the costs of repair. I just want to know if that's possible/legal, even if it isn't through Microsoft (i.e. a third party repair shop??)

As for attempting to fix it myself, I have opened it up, removed the heatsinks and applied thermal paste. To my surprise, it worked flawlessly for about 3 weeks. Now it's back to the same three red circles. I will have a look at the x-clamp replacement you mentioned. Thanks.

Another question... Is it possible to know what brand DVD Drive a 360 comes it before buying it and opening it up?

Thanks again.

#5 blame canada

blame canada

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE(oddj0b @ Sep 1 2007, 03:12 PM) View Post

Another question... Is it possible to know what brand DVD Drive a 360 comes it before buying it and opening it up?

Not unless you take it out of the box at the store, and open the drive tray tongue.gif

#6 JeffyLube0

JeffyLube0

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:49 AM

If you want something simple, do the towel trick, it will work for a little while. If you wanna do something more "hands-on" do what grim said and do an x-clamp replacement or something INSIDE the box.

Do not, however, try to pass the console on as fraud ohmy.gif

#7 oddj0b

oddj0b

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:41 PM

Would it be possible to use my current MS25 DVD drive on a new 360?? i would have to reflash with a new key or something, right?

I have tried reapplying thermal paste, but no luck. Then I tried to let the 360 overheat (by switching off the fans, i heard that the towel trick can be dangerous cause it may damage other components...), and I no longer get the RRoD, but it still crashes often, even at the dashboard :s I'll probably attempt the x-clamp mod as a resort before I buy a new 360

#8 dvsone

dvsone

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(oddj0b @ Sep 9 2007, 04:17 PM) View Post

Would it be possible to use my current MS25 DVD drive on a new 360?? i would have to reflash with a new key or something, right?

I have tried reapplying thermal paste, but no luck. Then I tried to let the 360 overheat (by switching off the fans, i heard that the towel trick can be dangerous cause it may damage other components...), and I no longer get the RRoD, but it still crashes often, even at the dashboard :s I'll probably attempt the x-clamp mod as a resort before I buy a new 360

Yeah you can use your drive in another 360 and yes you need to reflash with the new key.

I tried fixing my 360 with just new thermal paste a few times. I couldn't get it to last longer than a week. I then tried the X-Clamp replacement and it's been working for about 6 months.

Edited by dvsone, 09 September 2007 - 04:32 PM.

#9 Reaper527

Reaper527

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,499 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE(oddj0b @ Sep 9 2007, 11:17 AM) View Post

i heard that the towel trick can be dangerous cause it may damage other components...

i'm glad someone did their research smile.gif its always dissapointing to see people say they did the towel trick and now it doesn't work.

check out the lawdog method of xclamp replacement. this is what i did, and it is simply a "remove the xclamp, remove the current bolts, and replace it with new bolts/washers". no drilling or anything remotely difficult. since you said you already upgraded the thermal paste, you already know how to get the clamps off.

remember to go light on the thermal paste. if you use too much, it doesn't get the heat off the chip and onto the heatsink.

i've been using my 360 that RRoD'ed, then fixed with this method (also did a 12v fan mod and a thermal upgrade at the same time i did the xclamp replacement) and it has been working great, still runs 3 months later. hasn't frozen on me since

#10 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE(oddj0b @ Sep 1 2007, 09:12 PM) View Post

Well that's why I said, "even if it's for a fee"... I know I've opened it up and lost my warranty. I don't mind paying the costs of repair. I just want to know if that's possible/legal, even if it isn't through Microsoft (i.e. a third party repair shop??)

As for attempting to fix it myself, I have opened it up, removed the heatsinks and applied thermal paste. To my surprise, it worked flawlessly for about 3 weeks. Now it's back to the same three red circles. I will have a look at the x-clamp replacement you mentioned. Thanks.

Thanks again.

Even for a fee they will still send it back because it's against the terms of service agreement.

Because it's been opened parts may have been modified (and even if you try to get it back to original) there repairs to the system might not work as it should because it has been tampered with.

We don't support sending an opened 360 back to MS even if you are willing to pay for it full stop because it's not fair on the average joe who has a valid warranty seal and he/she gets pushed back due to someone infront who opened there box.

#11 oddj0b

oddj0b

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(bucko @ Sep 10 2007, 08:27 AM) View Post

Even for a fee they will still send it back because it's against the terms of service agreement.

Because it's been opened parts may have been modified (and even if you try to get it back to original) there repairs to the system might not work as it should because it has been tampered with.

thanks for clearing that up bucko. i thought it was the case that they would fix it for free if you had the warranty but they would still do it for a fee if you didn't have the warranty.

QUOTE(dvsone @ Sep 9 2007, 04:55 PM) View Post

Yeah you can use your drive in another 360 and yes you need to reflash with the new key.

I tried fixing my 360 with just new thermal paste a few times. I couldn't get it to last longer than a week. I then tried the X-Clamp replacement and it's been working for about 6 months.

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Sep 10 2007, 12:28 AM) View Post

check out the lawdog method of xclamp replacement. this is what i did, and it is simply a "remove the xclamp, remove the current bolts, and replace it with new bolts/washers". no drilling or anything remotely difficult. since you said you already upgraded the thermal paste, you already know how to get the clamps off.

remember to go light on the thermal paste. if you use too much, it doesn't get the heat off the chip and onto the heatsink.

i've been using my 360 that RRoD'ed, then fixed with this method (also did a 12v fan mod and a thermal upgrade at the same time i did the xclamp replacement) and it has been working great, still runs 3 months later. hasn't frozen on me since

That's excellent news laugh.gif , can't wait to try the xclamp mod. Also, the drive still work even with the new 65nm 360 when it comes out??

Thanks for all the help guys... will let you know how it goes!

#12 getRAWed

getRAWed

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.1 (opus)

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:52 PM

I cried for a little while... then I manned up; got me a drill, some Arctic Silver and some bolts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users