• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Radelion

Radelion

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:30 PM

I have an xbox 360 that recently got the 3 red rings of death. I luckyly got it back again. But now right after showing the xbox logo it shows a purple screen saying:
Update failed
Couldn't find your Xbox 360 Hard Drive.
But if boot it without the HDD attatched and put it in with the console running it reboots like the screen tells it will, but same error pops up.
Is there anything to do at this point or is my xbox simply dead? Cant send it in to MS as it has been opened by the previous owner in an attemp to swap the drive with another xbox.
Im petty much open to anything as the console wont do anything now anyway.
Hope somebody is able to help biggrin.gif

#2 xxposition59

xxposition59

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:26 AM

http://forums.xbox-s...p;#entry4085326

post on this thread. Exact same problem. We need more attention on it.

#3 h0St

h0St

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:28 AM

Xbox 360 Core. 2006.
I-xtreme 1.4 (as far as i know)
256mb MU

I updated my box with Fallout3 yesterday no problems.

I updated my box today with Dead Space as requested and it hung on the purple screen, wouldn't read the disc any further and so wouldn't go past the purple update screen.

I tried all the other new games I own which are all backups.... nothing worked, again if i played the Dead Space DVD back in it just wouldn't read or update same as all the other games.

HOW I FIXED THIS SITUATION.

Insert the game DVD of the game that failed to update properly into the DVD drive whilst the 360 is hung on the purple screen. I REMOVED MY MU (SO PERHAPS REMOVE YOUR HDD) HOLD DOWN THE WHITE SYNC BUTTON > CLOSE THE DVD TRAY KEEP THE WHITE SYNC BUTTON HELD DOWN > POWER OFF > POWER ON KEEPING THE WHITE SYNC BUTTON PRESSED ALL THE WAY THROUGH > after the xbox 360 splash screen my box updated as it should it's now fine.

ANOTHER POSSIBLE FIX

If your box hung to purple using a backup game, get a copy of the original this should work and finish the update.

IF NOT : try and update with a newer game some guy on youtube claims it worked for him, although I believe it has to be the game you tryed the update with in the 1st place.

Ok.

h0St

Edited by h0St, 23 November 2008 - 01:42 AM.

#4 Havok

Havok

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:50 AM

Well eveyone should always just update from their originals and there wouldnt be a problem...

rolleyes.gif

#5 SoulSlinger

SoulSlinger

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

I had 6 360s with this problem. They are all fixed now. I have a general solution to this problem that works for the "Can't detect update disc" and the "Can't detect your hard drive" error, but for now I am keeping it to myself. If anybody is desperate for the solution you can PM me.

#6 SoulSlinger

SoulSlinger

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

Sorry guys but my capitalist nature gets the better of me again.

http://www.updatefailedfix.com

#7 SoulSlinger

SoulSlinger

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:09 PM

I had change of heart, the guys over at 360mods prevailed on me to release this for free.
So for all to see , here is how you fix the update failed error in all cases:

The error seems to happen when the 360 is unable to read from the update source during the update. The only time I have actually seen it occur was when updating from a backup, which is a common cause Ive read about. The other common cause is an onset of RROD during the update. Im not sure what causes the hard drive error. Either way, the solution is simply to supply the 360 with the correct update file either on a CD or a USB stick. Now here's the rub, it has to be the exact same update file as the one that failed. Not a problem since I've made a nice torrent file with all of the updates to date here:

Google

The version number is shown at the bottom of the error screen. PV is for previous version and CV for current version. Just put the file matching the current version (the one you are updating to) on a USB stick, (i.e. E:/$SystemUpdate) put it in your 360, and power up. If you have the right one it will finish updating and boot to the dashboard. Voila.

This has worked for me on 7 consoles so far. 3 of them said they couldn't detect the hard drive and the other four the update disc, so this seems to work in all cases. I hope this can help some people out.

Edited by xboxgamer733, 03 July 2009 - 08:53 PM.

#8 mackemsrule

mackemsrule

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:08 PM

I have the purple update error screen and tried the sync boot up trick,but didn't work for me.And theres no error no at the bottom of the screen to suggest what update it was. Anyone got any ideas?
Thanx in advance

#9 washo84

washo84

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:45 PM

hi everyone I have the same purple update error screen with my hard drive. The problem is that in the dash update files provided by SoulSlinger is not the update cv:2.0.7371.0 I need the last update I think it is from April 2, I need this update.
Please someone with a big heart help me.
thanks.

#10 washo84

washo84

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE(washo84 @ Apr 8 2009, 03:21 PM) View Post

hi everyone I have the same purple update error screen with my hard drive. The problem is that in the dash update files provided by SoulSlinger is not the update cv:2.0.7371.0 I need the last update I think it is from April 2, I need this update.
Please someone with a big heart help me.
thanks.

Do not worry friends I have found the update file in this page: http://gueux-forum.n...p;#entry1516081
Now I don't have the purple error screen.

#11 devilx01

devilx01

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE(SoulSlinger @ Mar 27 2009, 09:09 PM) View Post

I had change of heart, the guys over at 360mods prevailed on me to release this for free.

The error seems to happen when the 360 is unable to read from the update source during the update. The only time I have actually seen it occur was when updating from a backup, which is a common cause Ive read about. The other common cause is an onset of RROD during the update. Im not sure what causes the hard drive error. Either way, the solution is simply to supply the 360 with the correct update file either on a CD or a USB stick. Now here's the rub, it has to be the exact same update file as the one that failed. Not a problem since I've made a nice torrent file with all of the updates to date here:

Google

The version number is shown at the bottom of the error screen. PV is for previous version and CV for current version. Just put the file matching the current version (the one you are updating to) on a USB stick, (i.e. E:/$SystemUpdate) put it in your 360, and power up. If you have the right one it will finish updating and boot to the dashboard. Voila.

This has worked for me on 7 consoles so far. 3 of them said they couldn't detect the hard drive and the other four the update disc, so this seems to work in all cases. I hope this can help some people out.

hello,
please help me, I do not see the pv and cv at the bottom of the screen,
I can only press the button b
thanks!

Edited by xboxgamer733, 03 July 2009 - 08:54 PM.

#12 Simple Fix

Simple Fix

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE(devilx01 @ Jun 7 2009, 01:31 PM) View Post

hello,
please help me, I do not see the pv and cv at the bottom of the screen,
I can only press the button b
thanks!

I have confirmed this works and it has worked for other people as well. Alright all you need to do is put each update one at a time on a USB drive and take it to your Xbox 360 plug it in and turn on your console until it works. It didn't ask me anything at all. I just did this until it went to the dashboard then I updated it to the latest dashboard.

Also if anyone don't want to deal with slow torrent speed. I u/led SoulSlinger dash update .Rar file to my Google account here:

Google

Its good for 90 days after the last download.

Edited by xboxgamer733, 03 July 2009 - 08:54 PM.

#13 paulmainstone

paulmainstone

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE(Simple Fix @ Jul 3 2009, 09:48 AM) View Post

I have confirmed this works and it has worked for other people as well. Alright all you need to do is put each update one at a time on a USB drive and take it to your Xbox 360 plug it in and turn on your console until it works. It didn't ask me anything at all. I just did this until it went to the dashboard then I updated it to the latest dashboard.

Also if anyone don't want to deal with slow torrent speed. I u/led SoulSlinger dash update .Rar file to my Google account here:

Google

Its good for 90 days after the last download.

Hi

Forgive me, but I can't get the downloads for the updates, the link just apears as Google?

Thanks Paul

#14 blklotus1

blklotus1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE(SoulSlinger @ Mar 27 2009, 02:09 PM) View Post

Google

Found this forum last night and wanted to share my experiences with the community. First off I tracked down the update package on TPB (The pirate bay) under the account of "soulslinger" -Just search for the package, or search for the user and you should find it. (Im not going to post the link as im not sure about the forum rules here regarding links to torrents)

Second, I discovered a few "quirks" in making this work correctly. My first attempt was done using a portable hard drive and I realized after about 7 attempts the console will not read the update off a portable (at least my portable anyways) so I did some checking on the MS site and discovered you have to use a usb flash drive and it has to be formatted to FAT32.

Furthermore I realized (again after several attempts) that you need to copy not only the files inside the $systemupdate folder, but the folder itself.

After I got everything just the way the xbox liked it I started trying updates and voila!! After 4 attempts the machine posted to "would you like to update your console" instead of the Purple screen.

-So, it does work and big thanks to SoulSlinger for putting the package together and posting the info.

Just to recap, heres the instructions in point form:

1. Download update package (torrent) from TPB under user account "SoulSlinger"
2. Unpack said package, you'll see several folders starting with 2.0.xxxx.xx
3. Format your USB stick to FAT32
4. One by one open up the 2.0.xxxx.xx folders and copy the $systemupdate folder and its contents onto your usb drive.
5. Plug your USB into the back of the xbox and power the machine up. If you get the wrong update it goes to the purple screen. Plug your USB back into your computer and try the next update.
6. Once you get the correct one, it will (in my case) as you to update. Say yes.
7. Play COD5 smile.gif

#15 thomastrouble

thomastrouble

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:59 AM

I have a similar problem to this BUT i don't have this purple screen.

And I only have this update problem with the newer games. i.e COD4 and assassins creed 2.

I put the boot disk in, then i put the game in. it will ask me to update, yes, then it does the full update, then it auto restarts itself. then back into the game, it will ask me to update again.

I can only play the game if the HDD is removed, it won't ask me to update with the HDD removed.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users