Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:17 PM

The best part of a month ago I decided it was time to try adding some extra chips to my motherbord. I had a spare 1.0 board which apparently had a busted video chip on it, so I used that as the donor.

Underestimating the difficulty of the operation and the fragility of the chips, I did a rush job and broke a few pins off. Since I was in it more for something to do then for the results, I attempted to add the chips to my 1.1 board anyway (draping solder over the gaps)... Long story short, I ended up removing the new chips and was left with a whole lot of wrecked traces and a FRAO console.

Lessons learnt, I removed the original chips from my 1.1 board (slowly this time, with no breaks) while waiting for a cheap X-Box to turn up on eBay. That turned up yesterday, another 1.0 model (I think - came with a Phillips drive, though the case claims it was made 17/01/2002. The box had been opened before I got it).

After making sure the thing worked it was off with the case and on to the chopping block. I soldered over the points for the BIOS flash, added the spare chips, wired my first controller port's yellow wire to the front buttons (for a controller on/off switch) and attempted to added a VGA socket (I'd been reading plenty of guides while waiting for the mailman).

Re-assembled, removed the VGA socket as my planned location was covered by the motherboard fan connector (something my 1.1 box didn't have) and turned it on. FRAO again, but after a bit of work with the soldering iron and a needle I finally got that green light to stay on at about 1am this morning...

My problem now is this: I get the green light, but nothing else. No video, no audio. Sounds like a coma box (and seeing as I'd soldered the relevant points BIOS corruption might be an option) only the DVD drive ejects as soon as I press the button. I tried this guide anyway but it didn't make any differences.

If I unplug the A/V pack, I get FOAG. Plug in back in again and the light returns to solid green. The cable and TV are fine.

I can't see anything online suggesting that faulty RAM would cause this, though I did find a mention that a retail BIOS won't work if you add extra chips. But that note said the result would be a FRAO, and although no one's specifically said the statement is wrong a lot of people have at least questioned it.

At this point it looks like my efforts around the A/V connector are to blame. I've already been over the area with a fine toothed comb, a multimeter, and the remains of my soldering wick - but I can't see anything out of the ordinary. Wobbling the socket around doesn't do anything.

My problem now is I don't really know what to check. I can't see any guides as to what I should be looking for with these particular symptoms... I know it doesn't help that I've done so much to the system, but does anyone have any idea what components are relevant here?

#2 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderator
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:50 AM

Fixed it by removing the RAM chips, flashing with X2 5035, and re-installing them.

Now I wanna get rid of the noisy fan on the GPU. Obviously I have a spare heatsink from my trashed 1.1 board, are the two chips similar enough that I can install this?

#3 DarkMatter

DarkMatter

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 12:17 AM

Fixed it by removing the RAM chips, flashing with X2 5035, and re-installing them.

Well done. wink.gif

Obviously I have a spare heatsink from my trashed 1.1 board, are the two chips similar enough that I can install this?

Yes. Not a problem to use a V1.1 GPU heatsink on a V1.0. Make sure you use decent heatsink compound.
Regards,
DarkMatter

#4 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderator
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for that. Switched 'em round and it seems to be working ok.

Though the operation seems to have sent those extra RAM chips on the fritz again, so I've had to remove them... again.

Time to try again...

.... again.

Incedently, during the time I had them working I had some problems with Need For Speed MW, in that the game would slow down significantly when returning to the menu system from a two player race. A reboot would restore everything to normal, but is this a known issue of some sort?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users