FrostyTheSnowman and Xman954's VGA Boot Disc v1.0

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#46 urbigbro

urbigbro

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Modding everything to the way it should have been. Custom joystick building. Soccer!
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:04 AM

The owner of the xbox I was trying to help, just decided to play on his T.V. So I haven't really tested any further.
I don't think there is a solution outside of frosty recompiling a disc that fixes our specific problem. Since the scene has largely moved to 360. I would just find a used xbox that you can check for the correct hardware specs to insure it will work with VGA on Krayzies or the softmod of your choice.

#47 dokworm

dokworm

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE(urbigbro @ Jan 29 2008, 10:23 AM) View Post

@Frosty
Well it seems as if it is not Krayzies ndure softmod that is the problem, but something else I have yet to track down.

I used this on a Ver. 1 box with the same softmod and got it to work. It had a Focus encoder which is different from the encoder in my ver 1.1 box. Of course, before I can guess that is the problem I have a lot of other things to check first.

Also I noticed that the G drive was no longer accessible once in the VGA mode the disc initiates. I would guess I need to change that part in the .ini file to yes or enabled?

Thanks again for this awesome software. I will update once I get the problem tracked down on the 1.1 box.

P.S. I had planned on using your softmod on the ver 1 box, but due to it having the 3944 BIOS I tried your boot disc. Thanks to you guys I can have VGA on any xbox now!

weren't there two versions of the bootdisc, a .06 and .6X one that supported drive G and one that didn't?

#48 daguvrocks

daguvrocks

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:14 PM

Compared to the other options (Dual-Boot VGA Softmod v1.0, X2 5035 VGA Bios, BFM VGA BIOS Pack with PBL Metoo), using the VGA Boot Disc seems relatively easier.
  1. What happens if you don't have the boot disc in when booting? Blank/Green/wrong color screen?
  2. What if the cable (and or monitor) isn't compatible/working? Blank/Green/wrong color screen?
  3. I can still have XBMC installed with this but just can't set it up as the default dashboard, right?

Thanks!

#49 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:52 PM

1. Green tint.
2. Could be any of those!
3. No, you can have any default dash you like by editing the x2config.ini that you place on E to point to your xbmc dash
e.g. dash1name = e:xbmc\xbmc.xbe

#50 daguvrocks

daguvrocks

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:34 PM

1. When should I turn on 720p/1080i in the Microsoft Dash? Before or after installing/running the VGA Boot disk? I don't want to turn it on and then not be able to see what I'm doing or it be too late to turn it on.

2. As an alternative, why wouldn't somebody use this mod instead of the other options such as Frosty's Dual-Boot VGA Softmod , Frosty's VGA BIOS Patcher, Frosty X2 5035 VGA Bios (what's the difference between this and the Patcher anyway?)? It seems like a no-brainer going with the boot disk.

3. This VGA-Component Cable will work as long as my monitor supports SOG, right? If not, I can either buy the 'Frozen Cable' or make my own?

#51 daguvrocks

daguvrocks

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:57 PM

4. I think I have a 1.4 or 1.5. I haven't opened it up to confirm with the hardware inside. Assuming its one those versions, will this affect it (it'll have a green screen unless I do an internal sync mod) or does this only apply to having a linux mod (mine is SID/unleashx/xbmc) ?

Edited by daguvrocks, 23 February 2009 - 09:00 PM.

#52 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:28 PM

1. After
2. You use the BIOS (or the BIOS patcher) if you are flashing your Xbox and want it to permanently connect via VGA. The dual boot softmod is fine. The boot disc allows you to switch between VGA and other video connections really easily.
3. You'll still also need a component cable for the Xbox, and three female-female barrel connectors. And I'm not entirely certain that the component cable will put the video chip in the right mode for VGA (HDTV is mode 2+3, VGA is mode 1+3 - have a look here). You're better off with a Frozen cable, because that definitely puts the video chip in the right mode.
4. No. The boot disc makes the output RGB. (FYI, it's entirely unrelated to the sync mod).

#53 daguvrocks

daguvrocks

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:59 PM

Sorry to beat this to death, but any the following VGA mods (Patcher, Dual-Boot, Boot Disk, x2 5035 VGA BIOS) will require a Frozen Cable or homemade vga-rgb cable with sync seperator if my LCD doesn't support SOG right?

This seems to allude to that the Patcher eliminates sync issues.

I'm leaning towards the Boot Disk and Frozen Cable since it seems the most fool proof. Are there ANY disadvantages of going with the Boot Disk instead of the Dual-Boot VGA Softmod?

Cheapest I can find for the Frozen Cable is at ConsoleShop.com for $27.50. Anybody know of a better deal?

#54 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:26 PM

Correct. If your monitor supports SOG you could get away with a simpler cable, but you'd still need to build it to get the mode switches right to put the chip in VGA mode. That's true regardless of which of the software fixes you use to set the Xbox video chip up for RGB output - the patcher / BIOS / VGA softmod makes the Xbox output RGB instead of YPbPr, but the cable tells the Xbox video chip to use that mode.

I think that link is just wrong! Patching the BIOS doesn't magically make the sync signal pop out of the Xbox, because there are no sync output pins on the Xbox connector. Look at the picture I linked to earlier - the sync signals on pins 13 and 14 of the VGA connector have to come from the LM1881N. The bottom line is that the Xbox video chip ONLY delivers sync on green, and if your monitor needs separate sync you need an external separator circuit.

#55 daguvrocks

daguvrocks

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for confirming my suspicians Heimdall! The post I linked to just didn't make sense and seemed too good to be true.

So do you see any disadvantages of going with the Boot Disk instead of the Dual-Boot VGA Softmod?

#56 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:48 PM

No disadvantages at all! Use the boot disc to try things out. Once you're happy you can change to the softmod if you want. I'm fairly certain that Kingroach NDURE 3.1 also supports VGA, so you have a choice of softmods as well. The advantage of Kingroach is that you can easily switch between RGB (VGA) and conventional video, and still have eject boot to a retail MS Dash.

#57 DarthMingus

DarthMingus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:43 AM

Hello,

I have been trying to get my Xbox to work with a recently purchased Frozen Cable to no avail. I'm listing my setup below.

Xbox 1.0
Xecutor 2.6 chip w/ 5035 bios
Dell 2405FPW monitor
FrostytheSnowman VGA Boot Disc

My problem is that when the boot disc is recognized, it seems like the Xbox goes into a reset loop. I see for a brief second on screen in white letters "Loading Xecutor Bios blah blah" This lasts for only half a second and then it happens again and again.

Can anyone please offer some assistance?

Thanks

#58 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:48 AM

Have you taken x2config.ini from the Frosty/Xman package, edited it to point to your dashboard (as described in the instructions), and placed it on the root of your E partition?

#59 DarthMingus

DarthMingus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:59 AM

Yes I did. I'm using XBMC as my default dash. It looks like it starts to boot up, then quickly starts over. I can also hear the DVD being reloaded each time.

#60 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:03 AM

And have you deleted your original x2config.ini from C as well? It's also worth checking that you have the following line in the config.:

dvdBootXbeName = nothing.xbe

It sounds as though it's continually booting from the DVD, which would happen with your original X2config.ini on C, or with dvdBootXbeName = default.xbe, as it is in the original config.

Edited by Heimdall, 30 April 2009 - 03:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users