• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:06 AM

New Chinese Involvement Could Trigger HD DVD Price Plunge
Posted by XanTium | September 8 23:06 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From betanews.com:

If ever there were a time for either Blu-ray or HD DVD manufacturers to play a trump card, now may be the time, and this could be the one: A consortium of Chinese university engineers and government officials, in cooperation with a Chinese video standards group that includes globally recognized manufacturers, plus the DVD Forum, have come to an agreement on a standard specification for a blue-laser disc mechanism and format specifically for the Chinese market.

The agreement announced early this morning US time is critical, because up until now, China has been reluctant to participate in the high-definition video disc industry unless it had an opportunity to bring its own video encoding standard to bear: AVS, a codec which incorporates elements of MPEG-2, but is otherwise different from -- and some argue, better than -- other MPEG encoding standards and VC-1 in important respects.

Now, the DVD Forum's involvement has evidently made it possible for Chinese manufacturers to produce components that play blue-laser, high-def discs using the Chinese national standard, though which are fundamentally compatible with HD DVD with only minor adjustments.

The upshot here is this: The same country that has literally upset the LCD TV industry on its ear in just the last year alone, now has the specifications it needs to do the same with high-def video discs. While it makes so-called CH-DVD players for the home market (the name is subject to change, the new consortium says), China can also produce HD DVD players for the rest of the world, at prices that can best be described as Chinese.

Full Story: betanews.com

#2 elmo_sni

elmo_sni

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:41 AM

now when they minor adjustments i'm wondering if they mean something as simple as a software flasher or minor hardware adjustment, which is slightly more of a hassle.

even so, this may prove to be the ace in hd-dvd's sleeve

#3 MysticalMagnet

MysticalMagnet

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Interests:Finished Games:<br />Madden 06<br />Pocket Bike Racer
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:49 AM

hopefully this will be the upset for sony and that of the low priced hd-dvd players. We can only hope.

#4 h3xagram

h3xagram

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:57 AM

+ The DVD Forum has approved the new HD DVD TL-51 (51 GB) disc.

Blu-ray has nothing to gloat about now when it comes to capacity.

The DVD Forum, the international DVD standards authority, has approved a 51 GB single-sided triple-layer HD DVD disc for production. Extension to the HD DVD standard, which was submitted by Toshiba in April, received approval on 31 August 2007. Other recent developments include:

* A single-sided triple-layer HD DVD/DVD hybrid (combi) disc, the DVD layer of which would be playable by legacy DVD players, is expected to be approved before the year end.

* The Forum has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with China's Optical Memory National Engineering Research Centre (OMNERC) regarding licensing of the HD DVD-ROM China (formerly HD DVD-ROM China-only) format, specification for which was approved earlier this year. The only difference between the latter and the standard HD DVD format is the modulation scheme: the optical pickup in HD DVD China player will be able to play standard HD DVD discs, although Chinese discs will not be playable in standard HD DVD drives. According to the Forum, the Chinese government is keen to introduce the format domestically before the Olympic Games in August 2008. Large-scale integrates (LSIs) are already under development by manufacturers and use of AACS for the format is currently under negotiation.

http://www.screendig...060907-ec3/show

DVD+HD DVD on the same side and 51 GB for HD DVD movies that need the extra room, and affordable HD DVD players from China?... love.gif

To hell with Blu Xmas..... This Xmas is a Red Xmas smile.gif

Edited by h3xagram, 09 September 2007 - 04:10 AM.

#5 Software2

Software2

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Interests:Computing, gaming, and uh... is there anything else in life?

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:02 AM

Or one could consider that old players might not be able to update, and since they wouldn't want to screw their entire userbase, they couldn't adopt this new standard.
Hello third entry to the competition!

#6 SueMiBlitch

SueMiBlitch

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:02 AM

up yours blue-ray and PS3

not that i care as of yet... but prices best described as Chinese will definately move the stuff along... now we just need TVs to take a price plunge

#7 DeMoN_DARREN

DeMoN_DARREN

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:22 AM

China can also produce HD DVD players for the rest of the world, at prices that can best be described as Chinese

And Quality that can best be descibed as Chinese......

#8 blame canada

blame canada

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE(DeMoN_DARREN @ Sep 9 2007, 05:58 AM) View Post

[/i]

And Quality that can best be descibed as Chinese......

Exactly what I was thinking laugh.gif

#9 flashfreak

flashfreak

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:58 PM

I honestly dont know whether this is a good thing. I think it is...

#10 tummybanana

tummybanana

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:59 PM

i was thinking about that but its great news all the same......and a good time to go hd dvd biggrin.gif

#11 dr3yec

dr3yec

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:13 PM

I welcome a big price drop In the hd world. But I will stay away from anything chinese. They forgot to look up the difinition of quality in that country. All I can say is cheap cheap cheap!

#12 IJTF_Cinder

IJTF_Cinder

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(Software2 @ Sep 8 2007, 11:38 PM) View Post

Or one could consider that old players might not be able to update, and since they wouldn't want to screw their entire userbase, they couldn't adopt this new standard.
Hello third entry to the competition!

The HD-DVD spec includes 3 layers to begin with, all players are capable of reading an added layer. At worst, a firmware upgrade would be required.
The Blu-Ray spec only calls for 2 layers, so for a 3rd layer to be added, only new players would play 3 layer discs. Leaving PS3 owners and older standalone players........well, screwed.

#13 juan_2006

juan_2006

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:49 PM

China can also produce HD DVD players for the rest of the world, at prices that can best be described as Chinese.

AND as an extra you high levels of lead included. smile.gif

Edited by juan_2006, 09 September 2007 - 03:49 PM.

#14 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:52 PM

Any idea when the consumer (me) will see this?

#15 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:21 PM

Bring on the cheap high definition players!

(and to those touting the 51GB disc, they won't be of much use at all if current players can't read them)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users