mailtime

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:47 PM

Hi, I am trying to take my heat sinks off so that I can do an AS5 replacement due to some minor overheating issues and problems with graphics in some games. Ive read around about the x-clamp replacement, and other mods that require taking the heat sinks off, but none seem to go into any detail at all as to how to take the x-clamps off. I can tell by looking at them that they hook around a screw like thing, so I would have to pry it away from the screw to get it loose. The thing is, I don't want to bend or damage them or possibly damage my motherboard. So with that said, does anyone have any helpful pointers for taking these off? I would like to hear how you guys did your's so that I can get a good idea of how to do this.

Thanks for reading.

#2 feldiasa

feldiasa

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:11 AM

Just stick a flat screwdriver on the side of the clamp's leg and turn your hand upwards, the leg will come off. Do this without fear, they don't require much force to come off anyway and your mobo shoud not bend at all. If the clamp gets bent it's not really a problem since it's steel and you can just bend it right back after you remove them. After removing one leg, remove one of the legs closer to it, not the one that's diagonal to the one you just removed. After 2 legs that are beside each other are loose you can just wiggle the clamp and it will come off. Good luck man.

Edited by feldiasa, 11 September 2007 - 12:12 AM.

#3 mailtime

mailtime

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE(feldiasa @ Sep 11 2007, 12:47 AM) View Post

Just stick a flat screwdriver on the side of the clamp's leg and turn your hand upwards, the leg will come off. Do this without fear, they don't require much force to come off anyway and your mobo shoud not bend at all. If the clamp gets bent it's not really a problem since it's steel and you can just bend it right back after you remove them. After removing one leg, remove one of the legs closer to it, not the one that's diagonal to the one you just removed. After 2 legs that are beside each other are loose you can just wiggle the clamp and it will come off. Good luck man.

Thanks man, I finally got them off. I just stuck a flat head screw driver into the part that hooks around the leg and sort of pried it off. It's crazy, it looks as if no thermal compound was actually coming in contact with the heat sink and cpu/gpu. It appears to just all be squished off to the side of the chip. Oh well, the AS and cleaning supplies are coming in soon, along with my slimbox supplies biggrin.gif

#4 feldiasa

feldiasa

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:56 AM

QUOTE(mailtime @ Sep 10 2007, 09:14 PM) View Post

Thanks man, I finally got them off. I just stuck a flat head screw driver into the part that hooks around the leg and sort of pried it off. It's crazy, it looks as if no thermal compound was actually coming in contact with the heat sink and cpu/gpu. It appears to just all be squished off to the side of the chip. Oh well, the AS and cleaning supplies are coming in soon, along with my slimbox supplies biggrin.gif

Glad you got them off man. About the thermal compound part, that usually happens because of the crap compound M$ uses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users