2 replies to this topic

#1 LeeDJC

LeeDJC

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:28 PM

Hi all,

I have one of the earlier xboxes with the internal fan as well as the case fan. I can't remember which model it is though.

It's slowly been getting noisier and noisier, and now it's really bad. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement? Xbox parts seem to be pretty scarce now...not like a couple of years ago when I built it!

Thanks
Lee

(I'm in the UK by the way!)

#2 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:40 PM

Hi,

look at RS Components or Farnell for the little fan. They have several different models. No one will be a perfect match, but you should be able to do the job with it.

The bigger fan can also be replaced by a standard one. It is a bit of mechanical work to fix it properly.

You can disconnect the small fan for a short period of time to see if it is the cause of the noise.

Blowing out most of the dust with a compressor and lubricating it with a small drop of oil can also prolong it's life a bit. If the bearings are really bad, those methods don't help anymore.

regards.

#3 yaywoop

yaywoop

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:05 PM

that little fan in my xbox really started to bug me. so i pulled out the heatsink and cut a larger one down to fit, one large enough that it didn't need a separate fan.
the hardest part was securing the heatsink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users