• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 GYP23Q

GYP23Q

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:53 AM

so today i decide to replace the x-clamps in my console (i didnt have 3ROD) i just did it because my warranty was already voided.

what happens now is that i always get 3ROD, no video, no error codes.

as soon as i boot it up its straight to 3ROD, but sometimes ill turn it on and it wont do anything just stay there(still no video or anything) and then after about 20 seconds it would give me 3ROD.

i could really use your help guys please help fix this problem

thanks

#2 feldiasa

feldiasa

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:49 AM

Did you screw the bolts hard? Did you apply new thermal compound to the chips? Check that the pointy things near the connectors (power, video, etc) are inside the metal casing and not outside of it, somebody pointed out that this might cause shorts. Also, test your console without closing it entirely and see if it works that way.

#3 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:31 AM

Check and see what the secondary error code is and post that. If it worked before ya replaced the clamps then it's something you've done to it and the problem is there and should be easy enough to fix.

Edited by RDC, 15 September 2007 - 11:32 AM.

#4 GYP23Q

GYP23Q

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 12:19 PM

well now what it does is make a weird sound when it starts up like the samsung drive except i have a hitachi drive and it goes straight to the 3ROD and the fans spin for 1 second and then shutoff and the power supply will go green for a milisecond and back to orange when i press the power button, so itll stay on orange while the 360 is on and the 3ROD is flashing

i screwed the bolts hard, i didnt apply new thermal compound as i thought it wouldnt need it as i already put arctic silver 5 a couple months ago, im not sure about the pointy things ill have to get back to you on that on, and every time i checked to see if the console works it was always open, i never close it while testing

Edited by GYP23Q, 15 September 2007 - 12:21 PM.

#5 GYP23Q

GYP23Q

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:16 PM

for RDC
the secondary error code only had two numbers the first one was all four quadrants, and the second was 3 quadrants (quadrants 1,2 and 4)

so the error code is 03 is this the same as 0003?

#6 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:52 PM

The secondary error code should be 4 digits, not 2. Back the bolts off some and try it again, they don't need to be tightened down so hard, you probably have the things shorting on other components on the board or worse chips themselves.

#7 feldiasa

feldiasa

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:11 PM

That code is a power problem so it definitely looks like it's a short

#8 GYP23Q

GYP23Q

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:22 PM

i did the secondary error code again and i got 0003

how would i know where it is shorting or how its shorting

#9 GYP23Q

GYP23Q

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:42 PM

alright i tried it out of the metal chassis i still got the 3ROD straight away but i didnt get that weird noise

would a picture of the motherboard help you guys out?

#10 GYP23Q

GYP23Q

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:23 PM

Underside of the motherboard

Topside of the motherboard

also when i tried it out of the metal chassis i didnt have the heatsinks as tight as i had them before, i had them snug

#11 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:20 AM

Get those bottom pennies off the RAM and insulate them if you plan on using them first, the top ones are close to shorting on some SMT caps also, ditch them as well. It's hard to tell what may have been shorted out, and really the only thing you can do now is ohm out the 5v and 12v lines to see if the problem is there.

Edited by RDC, 16 September 2007 - 12:25 AM.

#12 GYP23Q

GYP23Q

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE(RDC @ Sep 16 2007, 09:56 AM) View Post

Get those bottom pennies off the RAM and insulate them if you plan on using them first, the top ones are close to shorting on some SMT caps also, ditch them as well. It's hard to tell what may have been shorted out, and really the only thing you can do now is ohm out the 5v and 12v lines to see if the problem is there.

ok i did everything except the ohm thing but that is irrelevant now because now i get a different secondary error code which is 0021 and i dont have the dvd drive connected.
is there any possible solution to this?

Edited by GYP23Q, 16 September 2007 - 07:55 AM.

#13 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:24 AM

That error could be from the DVD drive not being connected or the GPU is causing it. Put it back together now with the X-clamp mod alone and see how it acts, don't over tighten the bolts so much this time.

#14 GYP23Q

GYP23Q

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE(RDC @ Sep 16 2007, 06:00 PM) View Post

That error could be from the DVD drive not being connected or the GPU is causing it. Put it back together now with the X-clamp mod alone and see how it acts, don't over tighten the bolts so much this time.

well i put everything back together as normal and i still get the 3ROD and i still get the same error code

Edited by GYP23Q, 16 September 2007 - 08:49 AM.

#15 GYP23Q

GYP23Q

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 11:21 AM

should i do heatgun fix, penny fix or turn the xbox on to overheat without the fans connected?
please help me on this as i dont want to pull out another $400 for a new console

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users