• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheSchonk

TheSchonk

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Skateing, Wakeboarding, Wacthing TV, and chilling with my friends.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:58 AM

What DVD drives are compatible with the xbox? I'm starting fresh and I am remaking my XBMC box but I need the smallest DVD drive possible. Is there any that are compatible?

P.S. Im a complete noob when it comes to this stuff and the only reason why I ever accomplish stuff is because your guys help, so I would like to say thanks for all of the help biggrin.gif

Edited by TheSchonk, 16 September 2007 - 06:59 AM.

#2 mysticrider92

mysticrider92

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 September 2007 - 01:09 PM

There are people that could give a much better answer than I can, but I think any computer drive will work in an Xbox. The only problem is that the Xbox drive needs a special firmware to run original games. So if you would just be using dvd's, cd's, burned disks, etc. a slim laptop drive with an adapter would work fine.

#3 TheSchonk

TheSchonk

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Skateing, Wakeboarding, Wacthing TV, and chilling with my friends.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 September 2007 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(mysticrider92 @ Sep 16 2007, 08:45 AM) View Post

There are people that could give a much better answer than I can, but I think any computer drive will work in an Xbox. The only problem is that the Xbox drive needs a special firmware to run original games. So if you would just be using dvd's, cd's, burned disks, etc. a slim laptop drive with an adapter would work fine.

Thanks smile.gif ! I have one more question. If it has a modchip installed does the firmware still need to be changed?

#4 mysticrider92

mysticrider92

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 September 2007 - 05:35 PM

No, I think the Xbox game disks are different enough that they can not be read by a normal dvd drive. It must have a special firmware on the drive itself. There are one or two Samsung drives that can be converted to work for games, but I don't think any others will work.

One thing you could do is use the original drive to copy any games you would use on it to your hard drive, and run them from there, with a computer dvd drive for other types of media.

#5 disrockerdude

disrockerdude

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:xbox modding, pc modding, mac modding, anything really.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:36 PM

im not really sure but i think it is possible. using a samsung sd something and possibly flash with a kreon firmware or something. i think it can read xbox discs too. as long as its ide.. idk thats just my opinion tho.

#6 nadnerb

nadnerb

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Interests:stuff
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:23 PM

So will any PC DVD drive work?
I don't care about being able to play games, I just want a replacement drive that can read CDs/DVDs.

I tried an old Samsung PC DVD drive (in slave mode) but couldn't get it to work with XBMC.

I noticed some of the guides say you have to have the old xbox drive still in place before a PC drive will work but I don't have mine, it died ages ago.

So is there anything special you need to do to get the PC drive working?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users