Photo

Replacing Laser - Some Advice Please... Rdc?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hobogoonie

hobogoonie

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:10 PM

Right, since updating to the fast version of iXtreme 1.2(rev C) I noticed that I started getting quite a few Disc Unreadable errors. I went back to the slow version(which had worked fine with all my media before) but still the same problem. So I decided to do the Pot Tweak on my laser, I went from 4.3 to 3.8 and it did make a slight improvement but I was still getting errors. I went down then to 3.2 and it wouldnt hardly read the discs at all(many diff media used). So I put it up to 3.48 and still I get nothing.

So, I am guessing my laser has had it. It has been used quite a bit. I've had a look at the RDC tutorial on replacing the laser and it looks easy enough to do. Well done and thanks for all your efforts RDC.

My question is this; My drive is an MS-25, how do I know which laser to buy as a replacement for mine? Are they all the same as I'm sure I read somewhere that they're not. Please help. Oh, I have a hitachi 78 lying about which I could take the laser from if that would work? (just to see if the laser is really dead before I buy a new one).

Thanks in advance.

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,790 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:16 PM

Yes the laser from the Hitachi will work in your Samsung, they're the same. There are 2 models, SF-HD63 and 67, either one will work and they're both most likely HD63 anyway. It's molded on the bottom of the laser in the plastic, pretty small, but you can see it. You'll need to swap over the Tension arm assembly from the one laser to the other, same as if you were putting a new one in really.

Edited by RDC, 18 September 2007 - 02:20 PM.

#3 hobogoonie

hobogoonie

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:50 PM

Ahhhh, thankyou for the quick reply. I'll give this a go later. Fingers crossed!

#4 hobogoonie

hobogoonie

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:05 PM

The new laser seems to have done the trick! Everything is working well so far. I ended up taking the laser from a Hitachi 78 drive. It was the same type as the one in my Samsung, so thanks.

I used both of your wonderful tutorials as to how to change the laser and everything went very smoothly. Thanks again!

#5 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,790 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:01 PM

You're Welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users