#1 jopo

jopo

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 05 June 2003 - 01:58 PM

ok i am planning to put a blinking hdd led in on my xbox. Ive been looking at thte tutorials and i cant seem to find out ow to open the hard drive in the xbox. To i just remove it from the black plastic holdter thing to solder the LED on could some one help me out who has done htis before? I think that this would be a little extra ushful thing for my box.

#2 methadone_pretty

methadone_pretty

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 02:04 PM

you dont open the hard drive (!) ever, you'll kill it.

ignore soldering onto the hard drive. just deal with the cable.

read this, its the same principle

http://www.zapwizard.com/ide/

#3 krayzie358

krayzie358

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 02:04 PM

Have you looked at this?. It has a good picture of it. Yes you do have to take the HDD out of the black tray.

Kray

#4 thrashev

thrashev

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE (methadone_pretty @ Jun 5 2003, 11:04 AM)
you dont open the hard drive (!) ever, you'll kill it.

ignore soldering onto the hard drive. just deal with the cable.

read this, its the same principle

http://www.zapwizard.com/ide/

i've seen people put windows in their hard drive metal casings so you can see the platter. you have to be really careful, but you just have to know what you're doing

#5 loveisweakness

loveisweakness

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 06:25 AM

yeah, if ya get dust on the platters youre fucked

#6 essasin000

essasin000

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 06:32 AM

i hope you mean just takin your hd out of its tray... do this by unscrewing the three screws on each side of the tray... you can easy get to the correct pin

#7 EvilWays

EvilWays

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 June 2003 - 08:40 AM

Just use pin 39 on the mobo...much easier and less messy.

#8 Unbewoffnet

Unbewoffnet

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 09:39 PM

If you're looking for an HDD light and are even moderately solder-savvy, this tutorial is probably the best way to go. As long as you're careful not to damage R3V2 when you're soldering, and as long as you don't hurl solder haphazardly around the board like some people I know (*glare self*), you should be okay. That way, you don't have to bother with hacking up your IDE cable, you don't have to worry about drilling a hole in your case, and you certainly don't need to be concerned about opening your HDD.

#9 madcitysw

madcitysw

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 June 2003 - 09:50 PM

You can take a HD apart, people has done this type of work, but like they said, you don't want to get dust in the HD itself or you are very screwed. You must be in a small room, like a bathroom more like it and run the hot water and wait til it get moist in the air, so that the duct will fall down, take your HD apart, and do you stuff fast.

#10 Perplexer

Perplexer

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Interests:Fish with big teeth
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 June 2003 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE (madcitysw @ Jun 6 2003, 06:50 PM)
You can take a HD apart, people has done this type of work, but like they said, you don't want to get dust in the HD itself or you are very screwed. You must be in a small room, like a bathroom more like it and run the hot water and wait til it get moist in the air, so that the duct will fall down, take your HD apart, and do you stuff fast.

Bad idea; you don't want any moisture in the drive either. There is no reason to open a hard drive. Professionals do it in a "clean room".

#11 jopo

jopo

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 12:25 PM

well right now im putting my xbox into a computer tower, i already have my motherboard and power supply mounted next i have to mount the dvd drive and the hard drive. would taking those out of the black plastic holsters that they come with in the xbox be opening them? and since my tower is home maid i dont have those wall things that you normally mount the cd players and hard drive to. i have to figure out a way to mount them. I was thinking about just having little platforms that the dvd player and the hard drive sit on then i would tape then down. is it alright to just lay the dvd player and the hard drive down onto a flat surface? and if i did would they still funtion properlly? this is a question that i really need answered. wink.gif

#12 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,995 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 07 June 2003 - 12:56 PM

http://www.coverx.or...orials.php?id=2

Were do you put the 10k resistor Unbewoffnet and I'm also going to put my xbox in a PC case and will follow the x-s case tutorial. I guess I just use the wire that goes to the yellow LED and put it on the case hd LED, will that work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users