#1 Jay-Hawks

Jay-Hawks

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:47 PM

I'm about to buy my first 360 and I have been reading the forums regarding the differences between the different models but I'm still not sure which one to buy. Currently I have a modded xbox and I frequently use it to stream data (pictures, MP3 & video) from my computer and I plan to continue to do that with either the orginal unit or the new 360. From what I have read there are really two differences between the two units, HDMI and hard drive size. HDMI really isn't an issue for me because my TV and my AV receiver doesn't have HDMI so I will continue to use componet video. In my reading I have read that you will store things on your hard drive including content from xbox live and game saves and any music or pictures you put on the unit. In my case I plan to continue to stream all of my files to my xbox so do I really need the 120GB hard drive? On my current unit I upgraded the hard drive to a 250GB drive so I could just play my owned games from the hard drive, which is great but that isn't currently an option with the 360 or at least I don't believe it is. I would assume in time that I will probably mod my 360 but probably not right away but I don't know how much of a difference that makes in the decision process but I thought I would throw it out there. So I guess in the end the question is will I download enough stuff from xbox live to justify an additional 100GB for another $100?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!! biggrin.gif

#2 MarutiDriver

MarutiDriver

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:25 PM

If you don't care about HDMI (and most people shouldn't) then buying an elite wouldn't be worth it, and If I recall correctly, the 120GB drive can be bought separately.

#3 feldiasa

feldiasa

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:40 PM

The new premiums have hdmi. The only difference between them is that with the elite you get the hard drive cheaper($100 instead of $180) and the black console and accesories.

#4 Jay-Hawks

Jay-Hawks

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 21 September 2007 - 05:14 PM

If I'm not filling up my hard drive with MP3's or pictures am I going to have a hard drive space issue with the 20GB drive?

#5 kemsoff

kemsoff

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:42 PM

The only real reason to buy is if you want the black color. The 120gb HD(which can obviously be bought seperate) I honestly bought an elite because I wanted the color and I figured the HD would come in handy but so far it really hasnt.

Oh and HDMI but the new premiums support it as well so its really just up to your personal preference.

#6 jimbobjim

jimbobjim

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Interests:Sniffing farts under the covers.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:29 PM

The only thing a 120gig hdd might be good for is if 360 homebrew takes off. I had a 120gig but traded for a 20gig and some cash when I realised i'd probably never use all that space. Think about it, what are you gonna download fom Microsoft that will fill all that space? The biggest files are the game demos, which get deleted in a few days anyway.

#7 SphtKr76

SphtKr76

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:12 PM

You also get the audio dongle with the Elite that allows you to run optical along with the HDMI cable. MS sells them for $50 as a stand alone accessory.

#8 zentreri

zentreri

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:32 PM

A sub-question,

1. Do the new Elite's come with a better cooling solution, different heatsink, etc? I'm thinking of going Elite to replace my stock 360 3ROD'er. I had heard that they did but not from here so who knows if they do or not.

That would be a bigger reason for me other than the 120GB HDD (probably not really needed for most people) and the HDMI. I'm sure the elite is susceptible to the 3ROD just like any other box but if it has better cooling, then it may be a better buy.

I've heard the newer stock 360's are said to have the better cooling that MS is doing on the refurbs but how can you tell? Numbers outside the box or something? Stock dates?

Questions questions..

#9 Nerdz

Nerdz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE(zentreri @ Sep 22 2007, 08:08 PM) View Post

A sub-question,

1. Do the new Elite's come with a better cooling solution, different heatsink, etc? I'm thinking of going Elite to replace my stock 360 3ROD'er. I had heard that they did but not from here so who knows if they do or not.

That would be a bigger reason for me other than the 120GB HDD (probably not really needed for most people) and the HDMI. I'm sure the elite is susceptible to the 3ROD just like any other box but if it has better cooling, then it may be a better buy.

I've heard the newer stock 360's are said to have the better cooling that MS is doing on the refurbs but how can you tell? Numbers outside the box or something? Stock dates?

Questions questions..

same question here.
My Xbox 360 that I bought on Nov/06 got the 3ROD some weeks ago. I tried the towel trick but it worked for some hours. So I decided to do the X-clamp replacement trick a try tomorrow. If it fails I want to know what it will be the best choice since there are new DVD drives available out there. (my xbox 360 came with the Hitachi-LG, that was easy to mod).

Cruiser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users