• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tjking45365

tjking45365

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:09 PM

I have a Xbox and it recently started to not play games grr.gif . I will put them in and it doesn't read them. There isn't a "Your Xbox can't read this disc" message or anything. It doesn't make any noises when you put the games in. The only screen that loads is the one where you go to play music, look at memory, the xbox live, and settings uhh.gif . I don't know what to do. I've used a cleaning disc and it worked for awhile, now its nothing. It won't even play brand new games. Does anybody have any suggestions? biggrin.gif

#2 ahero4heor

ahero4heor

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 23 September 2007 - 11:33 PM

Replace your DVD drive (an Xbox one, not just any old DVD drive) from places that sell replacement parts or buy an xbox thats broken except for the DVD drive and use that.

#3 DarkMatter

DarkMatter

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:53 AM

Do you have a modchip installed???
If so, then you need to check the remaining space on E: partition. If its less than around 800Mb, then you need to delete some music you have stored on it.
If you don't have a mod, it can still be a problem with insufficient space on E:. Unfortunately without a mod you can't really find out your free space on partition E:.
Do you think you may have copied around 5Gb's worth of music to your X-Box in total??? If you suspect so, then start deleting your music until games start to work.
The X-Box requires a minimum amount of hard drive space on E: partition for disk caching. If it doesn't find enough space, the X-Box will refuse to boot games or movies, but will it still read music CD's, as it doesn't need to cache that.
Regardless if you have a modchip fitted or not, the above applies to both scenarios.
If you've deleted heaps of music and it still refuses to play games, then ahero4heor's suggestion of replacing the ROM drive may be valid.
Please let us know how you get on.
Regards,
DarkMatter

#4 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:29 AM

Retail games cache to either X, Y, or Z. If those drives already have files on them they wipe them off first.

You can see how much free space is on E via the memory card manager. Usually it says 50000+ free blocks (somewhere over 780mb spare space, as each block is 16kb).

The symptoms sound to me like a dying DVD drive. You could try some of the pot adjustment tutorials and see if they help.

#5 DarkMatter

DarkMatter

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:58 AM

Retail games cache to either X, Y, or Z. If those drives already have files on them they wipe them off first.

Then can you explain to me when I get customers that complain that disks refuse to work due to them stuffing E: partition till thier's either no space or very little space left. And as soon as I free up space on E: partition games and movies start working again???
Regards,
DarkMatter

#6 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:50 PM

Although I don't know of any games that cache to E, most do require space there for save games and the like. That's not a good reason for them not to work at all, but it's the best explanation I can come up with - If you think about it, users should at least be given a message telling them to free up some space. After all, it's not like the X-Boxes you describe can't boot code at all: Otherwise they wouldn't be able to get into the dashboard.

As for my console, E has ~200mb/15000 blocks free and works fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users