5 replies to this topic

#1 koalaz2004

koalaz2004

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:24 AM

First off, let me say I am not here to see replies like this.
ZOMG!!!!1!111!one11! Xbox 360 MUCH BETTER!
or
PS3 BESTEST! DON'T CHOSE THE 360!!!

They are useless and won't solve anything, I know people have their opinions and that is fine but keep them readable and if possible explain why you chose one option over the other. (E.g I believe the PS3 has a better disk drive because it can play Blu-ray and the Xbox 360 can only play HD-Dvd's when you buy the external drive.)

I have been looking into Purchasing a X360 Elite or a PS3 (60 GB) for a while now and it has come to the point where I wish to buy a second. I already have a X360 Core but I am thinking about buying a second for when I have guests over and for personal use. I have heard good and bad reviews about both of the systems and I was hoping I could get some insight on this decision I am trying to make.

I don't need to know console spec's as I have looked into that. What I am really looking for is the experience you have had with the consoles.

1) How does the PS3 handle?

2) Do you believe that it won't be able to handle any of the games that the X360 can?

3) How is the game selection?

4) How is the warranty?

5) Is the Multi-Player free or does it cost a monthly subscription?

6) What is your favorite highlight about having a PS3? (Other then the Blu-ray drive.)

7) How does the PS3 controller differ from the X360 other then the visual appearance?

8) Add anything else that I have missed, such as performance, video, ect.

Thank you for looking over this wall of text. I know it is a lot to answer but it could really help me decide.

#2 No_Name

No_Name

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:55 AM

I dont like the sixaxis, I find it too light but then I also find the dualshock 2 to be a little small.
But the D2 does not have the weird trigger buttons.

The PS3 gets HOT!!!!!!!!
Not that it matters alot.

The latest firmware has removed alot of the issues I had with the PS3 though.

Honestly if you have 1 360 and can

a) afford it
cool.gif Want it
c) Know you will use it

Get the PS3, but you may not be better not buying a second 360 or a PS3 at this point

#3 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:57 AM

PS3 is reliable so far. Mine doesn't get as hot as the 360 I have. I like the controller but the analog stick on the left is in an awkward position if you have large hands.
Online is completely free at the moment. The online demos and games are building into a good selection. Web browsing built in. User changeable HDD (able to replace with a readily available drive type, that is not machine specific)
I have seen no quality difference between the games I own for both systems.
THE DOWNSIDE of the PS3
If you have no interest in BR Movies then consider carefully. The inclusion of BR was a major factor for me.
The games catalogue at the moment is not as comprehensive as the 360.
The price is higher but it does have built in WIFI and HD movie playback without buying an extra drive.
Basically you need to go into a game store and have a play with the demo unit, research the games catalogue to see if it has what you want now and in the future and decide on if you have the money.
If you have a 360 then a PS3 will give you something different to play on.

#4 cohan

cohan

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:09 AM

I own both a X360 and a PS3. The games on X360 for the moment IS better (Except for some PS3 games, and upcomming ones). But, on 360 you have to pay a monthly subscription to play online, and to download demos and such, that isnt the case on PS3.

YES, the PS3 costs more than the X360, but if you were to buy a X360 with a HD DVD Player, wouldnt the price be the same? And hell! An external HD DVD player? I bet it can't compete with the PS3s Blu Ray (I bet, I'm not sure ^^).

X360 is noisy, the fan on it drives me crazy! And it actually gets really hot. Thats not the case with PS3, not for me atleast. I saw a guy here say that his PS3 got really hot, but I haven't experienced that at all.

Blu Ray also has bigger discs, so when you burn your own BRs in the future, you can store more movies and shit.

MOST of the X360s crashes with the Red Ring of Death. OH MY GOD that was a pain in the ass when it happend to me. And thats when I bought the PS3 ^^

PS3 will also get Playstation Home, a Second Life like game, but with more focus on the hanging out with friends in your appartmant gig. And the graphics are marvelous =D

I have owned a PS3 for one month now, and I must say that I am much happier with it than I ever was with the X360. I know there arent many good games for the PS3, but they are comming. And thats the good thing, there are so many things I'm looking forward to on the PS3. I never had that feeling with X360, except from with GTA IV, but that will be released to PS3 to.

And when your friends are over, what do you think would be the coolest? Two X360s, with two of the same games, or double up the fun with a PS3 and a X360 with the best games from both consoles? =D

I hope this can guide you alittle on your decision =)

Edited by cohan, 24 September 2007 - 11:13 AM.

#5 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:04 PM

1) How does the PS3 handle?
It handles well, when games are designed with the PS3 in mind. Some people complain of slower frame rates on certain games (EA Sports games, etc.) when compared to the 360. The majority of people will not notice the reduction of frame rate. That should be fixed in future games anyways. Rumble for the controller was just announced, but not released yet.

2) Do you believe that it won't be able to handle any of the games that the X360 can?
Physically the PS3 can handle any game the 360 can, for the most part. The problem is, they are different machines. If you program for 1 it is time consuming to port it to the other. With Microsoft's large install base, it makes fiscal sense to design with the 360 in mind 1st, and PS3 second. Refer to the complaints about EA's new games.

3) How is the game selection?
The 360 has an enormous game selection. The PS3's is the smallest of all 3 consoles. As far as future exclusive releases, the PS3 is dwarfed by both the 360 and the Wii.

4) How is the warranty?
Good. From what I have read, anytime anyone has a problem, Sony takes care of it fast. However, the PS3 rarely has any problems. It is a very sturdy machine.

5) Is the Multi-Player free or does it cost a monthly subscription?
Multiplayer is free. Sony charges for added content, which could potentially be a multiplayer map not included with the original game.

6) What is your favorite highlight about having a PS3? (Other then the Blu-ray drive.)
I don't own one, so I cannot make a fair assessment. But, I would have to say the exclusive games would be the biggest draw for me, to purchase one.

7) How does the PS3 controller differ from the X360 other then the visual appearance?
The PS3 controller is archaic, in the sense it was designed a long time ago, and hasn't changed much since. When Microsoft designed the Original Xbox Controller (Duke), they spent a lot of time and money on research, to make it as comfortable as possible for long gaming sessions. Because of old habits, many people preferred the controllers designed for people with smaller hands (The 'S'). The 360 controller is an improvement of their design.

8) Add anything else that I have missed, such as performance, video, ect.
The 360 has more games to play than the PS3. And, it most likely always will. If you buy a PS3 you will enjoy the benefits of both consoles. If you purchase another 360, you will be able to setup system link games. Both scenarios have their positives and negatives. I do not think with either purchase you will be unhappy.

If you are considering owning a separate console, simply for friends, I may suggest considering owning a Wii. The reason being, it is simple in nature, and it is more of a group oriented console.

One of the nice things about this generation, is all 3 companies have put together a machine that can cater to many people, depending on their wants. All 3 have their pluses and minuses.

Edited by throwingks, 24 September 2007 - 01:14 PM.

#6 koalaz2004

koalaz2004

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:24 PM

Thanks you guy's so very much for the responses, and thank you Throwingks for answering all my questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users