competes2win

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:23 AM

A little about me: I don't know anything about skinning or coding, which I think is why I'm proud enough of my skin mod to display it here. I'm sure many of you guys have done similiar with their favorite skins, but this is pretty much my first attempt at anything like this, so i figure I might as well brave the masses and let you guys see.

What I did: Plain and simple, I didn't do much.... but Well basically the main thing I did was customize the home window more to my liking. I replaced the "weather" button (which only got a little use) with a "Music Videos" button, I replaced the "youtube" (hard to see this go) with an "Emulators" button, I converted the "programs" button with a "Games" button, and I also Made the "Play disc" button a "Scripts" button when the xbox doesan't have media, but when there is a disk present of course the button reverts back to its "Play disc" state. Of course all of these 'new' buttons needed new icons, so I did my best at finding representable icons for the various categories, and then edited them myself.... My Games icon is from the Back-row skin, credit to Sharpe.

Another thing that I did was Add the 3d cover flow views to both my music library and Video library... I got the code from the Back-row skin. And Yes, I messaged Sharpe and got his permission. Credit again to Sharpe. I think I could optimize these views a little bit, but again I hardly know anything about this so for now I'll keep it the way it is... which is exactly the way it is in the Back-row skin.

Also, a long time ago I did the whole 'play ur emulator roms directly from xbmc' thing.... I did this for Genesis, Nintendo, and SNES... I found and edited my own icons and made it look nice.

I do want to thank Chi3f for a great skin and for his help, he helped me get the music videos button to work properly and he also showed me how to add video to the background (this was before he added it as a function).

Some things I have to work on: I need to find out how to make the top right label in the Games and EMulators window to display "games" and "emulators" with their respective icon, instead of just "programs" Also in the 3dcoverflow views in both the video and music libraries i get a redundent display of info which I have no idea how to make disapear, it isn't there in the Back -row skin and I'm not sure what part of the Xtv code is generating it... any help on these matters would be appreciated. I also intend to change either my scripts or the default "system" icon because they are far too similiar to go back to back like they do... i just haven't found a satisfactory replacement...

Here are screenshots... I did compress them a little for faster uploading, hopefully the quality didn't suffer to badly. If you made it through this entire beast of a post than I thank you.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here are more screen shots... I'm sorry that they take up so much room..... I should have probably just put the link, I don't know how to make them a small thumbnail to be clicked...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by competes2win, 24 September 2007 - 05:21 AM.

#2 KSHELLS

KSHELLS

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:56 PM

that is sweet mayne

#3 jabba200

jabba200

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:26 PM

looks great!

makes me want to get back into emulators again.

I love the icons and the whole dvd/scripts works

any chance of a download link?

Edited by jabba200, 24 September 2007 - 03:28 PM.

#4 lawdawg0931

lawdawg0931

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:03 AM

Really sweet competes2win! All the extras that I too would probably use more. Any chance of a link to this modded version for d/l? Or is it strictly specific to your setup? Either way, looks great... wink.gif

#5 competes2win

competes2win

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:22 AM

Well 3/3 positive reviews... I'm glad.

As for putting this up for download, I would be happy to if I only knew of a place to upload something...

However please note:
- The direct launching of emulator roms is something you do with this tutorial and therefore my windows for that wouldn't be in your skin. Although the emulators button will still send you to your emulators directory like the vision skin. Furthermore, if you look to my paragraph that starts "some things I have to work on" you will see all of my gripes with this version of the skin which I have yet to fix. hmmm as for all the links to the custom buttons working for you guys, as far as I can tell they should work for you... make sure if you have music videos they are located in your video files section under the name of Music Videos. Also in skin settings, both the You tube and Weather button have to be activated as they were replaced by my own buttons.

Well I guess thats that, if someone can point me in the right direction of actually uploading a file (also do i need to rar it or something?) I would be glad to, and if you have questions you can ask and i'll do my best.

Edited by competes2win, 25 September 2007 - 05:31 AM.

#6 competes2win

competes2win

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:45 AM

OHH! and the main thing that will probably deter most of you from wanting this is the fact that it only works under 4:3... Although I do have a 42" plasma I don't run this particular xbox on it, but I will eventually get around to making it 16:9 compatible, shouldn't take long actually. But ya thats what i just thought of while brushing my teeth lol.

#7 aart

aart

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:21 PM

well i like the mods too. as for the coverflow-mod, mcgyver did a mod for xtv with the coverflow. With his mod, only the title of the movie appears underneath the cover. so maybe you can take a look at that. you can find it in the xtv thread.
Concerning the uploading of your mod, you could post it at www.sendspace.com or rapidshare.com (tho i dont like rapidshare very much). or you could ask chi3f if he's willing to put out a complete modded version of the xtv skin.

again, i like your stuff!

#8 jabba200

jabba200

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:11 PM

"Some things I have to work on: I need to find out how to make the top right label in the Games and EMulators window to display "games" and "emulators" with their respective icon, instead of just "programs"

This is not possible as far as i know. I know that Chi3f had major problems when adding the tv shows button to the home screen, and if you still use the file view (as i do), you will see that when entering tv shows, the icon and words still say "movies"

It may be different for programs, but im not sure. (im no skinner!)

#9 jabba200

jabba200

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:42 PM

damn no edit function mad.gif

i was wondering would anybody be interested in helping me create an option in skin settings that you can pick and choose different components of the home menu.

competes2win wants music videos and games on the home menu but I may want power menu and weather.

im not sure how hard it would be, ive just started to mess around with editing this skin to my own preferences, and i think that it would benefit everyone to pick and choose what they want on the home screen.

any thoughts?

#10 competes2win

competes2win

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(jabba200 @ Sep 25 2007, 09:18 AM) View Post

damn no edit function mad.gif

i was wondering would anybody be interested in helping me create an option in skin settings that you can pick and choose different components of the home menu.

competes2win wants music videos and games on the home menu but I may want power menu and weather.

im not sure how hard it would be, ive just started to mess around with editing this skin to my own preferences, and i think that it would benefit everyone to pick and choose what they want on the home screen.

any thoughts?

it's actually quite easy to edit those home buttons... hardest thing is finding a good icon to match it. And of course the weather is already a function in the skin u can toggle on or off via the skin settings.

I haven't looked but maybe if you look in the .xml files and find the code that allows for the optional youtube and weather functions that could give u a start. I don't know the limits but I think you could just make a bunch of different buttons and set the visibility to only when the skin has the certain settings... like the youtube button... and kind of like what i did with my scripts button, my scripts button is the same as the play disc button just with a different visibility, meaning it only shows up under certain conditions... Also, my emulators and music videos buttons are toggled on and off via the skin settings control of youtube and weather buttons... it would be simple as far as i can tell to actually change the label in the settings to instead say music videos/ emulators to replace the text options of turning on the youtube/weather buttons... now im just rambling.. but ya it shouldn't be hard.

This is not possible as far as i know. I know that Chi3f had major problems when adding the tv shows button to the home screen, and if you still use the file view (as i do), you will see that when entering tv shows, the icon and words still say "movies"

Well at least I got my music videos section to say "music videos" and display my quicktime icon for it... i guess im happy with that.

#11 FourTwentySmiles

FourTwentySmiles

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:07 AM

Where'd ya get your emulator icon? Anyone list some good sites for free icon packs? Thanks.

#12 competes2win

competes2win

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE(FourTwentySmiles @ Oct 9 2007, 12:43 AM) View Post

Where'd ya get your emulator icon? Anyone list some good sites for free icon packs? Thanks.

I just googled "free icons" and found it somewhere I can't find the link... but it looked worse, I edited it. Initially It wasn't even close to the color it is now.

#13 manturafs

manturafs

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE(jabba200 @ Sep 25 2007, 08:47 AM) View Post

"Some things I have to work on: I need to find out how to make the top right label in the Games and EMulators window to display "games" and "emulators" with their respective icon, instead of just "programs"

It may be different for programs, but im not sure. (im no skinner!)

it's not completely true...... I've thought about this for awhile and if you are good at organizing your stuff, it's possible to fake the change.

to go with jabba said, there's no way to have the label change since you are accessing a bookmark and not a separate page in xbmc. however the work around that you COULD code....

is to create a folder image (folder.jpg) in your emulators folder that matches your theme. from you images, you would make a black background with white text saying "emulators." then all you have to do is code in "container.folderthumb"

the downside is that a folder icon will always show up there if one is present unless you add a container conditional.

#14 lawdawg0931

lawdawg0931

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:59 PM

I really love the mods on this competes2win, I'd ike to add "Music Videos" & "Emulators" to my home page. I'm not gonna ask how to do it, instead - what would I search for in the wiki? Adding buttons to the home screen? Or Home.xml? Thanks

#15 CHI3f

CHI3f

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE(lawdawg0931 @ Oct 9 2007, 07:35 PM) View Post

I really love the mods on this competes2win, I'd ike to add "Music Videos" & "Emulators" to my home page. I'm not gonna ask how to do it, instead - what would I search for in the wiki? Adding buttons to the home screen? Or Home.xml? Thanks

All you need to do is look in the Home.xml to see how the list is setup, then look in the manual to see what onclick command should be used. Check the window id section and the list of built in functions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users