• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mcss

mcss

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:42 AM

can someone please help me out and tell me that I'm retarded and am just missing something obvious. For 3 Halo's now I have been desperatley hoping that I could spilt the screen in co-op vertically instead of horizontally. I have a widescreen TV and it is completely assinign (ok so I can't spell) to split the screen horizontally. They even cut off the sides now in Halo 3. With as far as we have come with HD and the 360 and PS3 and such, I cannot believe no one else has had this problem. Please let me know if anyone knows of anyway to correct this.
Thank You

#2 StriderX7

StriderX7

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:06 PM

Mine chops the sides off too...

I find it weird that no-one else has mentioned it :S

#3 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:35 PM

the only time i have played with two people on a screen it didnt cut the sides off. Although the two people next to me the sides were cut off. Must be a setting somewhere

#4 Himura

Himura

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:45 PM

oh i remember bungie mentioning this during the beta, which did the same thing. basically, it is to keep the aspect ratio of the 2 screens 16:9, and unlike GoW, it doesnt increase the FOV for the player either. also, not very many people liked the vertical split screen so im sure thats why they didnt include it (plus you couldnt really see much to your sides anyways).

#5 hardcandy

hardcandy

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:51 PM

As far as cutting of the sides, this may happen with higher resolutions. Perhaps try lowering the 360 output resolution to something lower, i.e if 1080 decrease to 720 or decrease to 480 if set at 720. I am assuming your are using a 16:9 pictue TV and not a standard definition.

Edited by hardcandy, 26 September 2007 - 06:53 PM.

#6 StriderX7

StriderX7

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm running it at 720p on a Samsung HD LCD.

I can't really be bothered with changing resolutions, and to be honest, the chop doesn't affect me as much as I originally thought it would.

I've not yet played the game on Campaign mode, so I'm hoping that'll be normal.

#7 mcss

mcss

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:40 PM

Hey thx for the replies guys, but my concern isn't really the fact that the sides are cut off, I can live with that and understand why its done. My main concern that drvies me absolutely BONKERS is that I can't split the screen side to side - vertically. If I could do this on a widescreen TV it would increase the size of the picture for both people dramatically. I realize they would still have to cut off a small portion on the top and bottom to keep the aspect ratio right, but I can deal with that and if I'm playing split screen I don't need 16:9. 4:3 with that much bigger of a picture would be far better.
I was really hoping someone would know of a setting I could change that I missed, but I'm starting to think that's not the case. So if I can't cange it I will be royally pissed and my next goal will be to make this issue a bigger deal so someone will finally make a game split screen correctly. I realize split screen isn't used near as much as it used to be with so many games being online nowadays, but it is still used to some extent and if companies are going to offer it as an option in the game, than they should at least accomadate a widescreen TV. I know I've rambled too long in the post, but one quick example of my point is this:

I have a 57" widescreen TV - that means its about 50" x 28"

now you split it horizontally (like every game I know of) and you now have two halves of 50" x14"
now to get a 16:9 ratio you cut off some of the ends and you are left with approxamately 25" x 14" on each screen

ok now lets do it my way, the same TV 50" x 28"
you split it vertically and you have two halves of 25" x 28"
to get a 4:3 ratio (the size of a normal non widescreen tv, which I think would be fine for split screen) you would have to cut off some of the top and bottom to make it approxamately 25" x 19"
That's 5 extra linear inches and a whole lot more square inches (Go ask your girlfriend if 5 inches makes that much of a difference).

even if you had to have it 16:9 than if you did it vertically it would come out to the same 25" x 14" as the horizontally, but you should at least have a choice on which way you prefer, because I think the same sized 16:9 image split vertically looks a whole lot neater than the horizontal split. I don't know about you but at my house we sit next to each other, not on top of one another (at least not with the people I play Halo with).
Anyways my rant is done now, sorry it was so long and confusing, but let me know what you think.

#8 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:23 PM

it drives me INSANE that the sides are cut off, it totally spoils playing it with my buddies.

it's unnaceptable.

#9 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:41 AM

^agreed.

It's a marketing scheme really. Those friends that mooch off you to play Halo 3 will no longer want to play it split-screen. In turn, it causes them to go out and buy a 360 and Halo 3 for themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users