#1 neonmod

neonmod

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:05 PM

Hi,

I hve installed the maximus 79 passkey to a Hitachi rom version 79FL drive, using the 9 wire install.

The blue led lights up when powering up as expected (modeB) and i boot into windows XP, where my drive is detected.

I start up FW toolbox and with a game rom in the drive (also detected in windows) and 20 seconds later, choose the raw dump utility.

The blue led on the passkey then starts to flash -- 2 seconds on and 2 seconds off, 2 seconds on and so on, constantly, then about a minute later i get the message from toolbox - "cannot read from drive".

The drive functions pefectly with no problems.

Im using the xecuter connectivity kit, first version to power the drive.

Can anyone tell my why i am always getting this error and what i am doing wrong?

thanks

#2 myfranco

myfranco

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:28 PM

Why don't you get power from 360 itself? it might be the reason

#3 neonmod

neonmod

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE(myfranco @ Sep 26 2007, 11:04 PM) View Post

Why don't you get power from 360 itself? it might be the reason

Thanks, ill give that a go.

I'm also using the newlink (ali chipset) sata card, could this cause the problem?

I have used this card to flash older Hitachi's and T-S drives sucessfully in the past but this is the first time using firmware toolbox.

#4 Carlitosbaby

Carlitosbaby

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:00 PM

Well according to tutorial you need to use xbox power for 78 and 79 drives also if you used the wires with my install even after good flash wouldnt play an copies until I took the passkey out. I hope this helps I did mine 2 days ago and went 1-2-3 with the 4.0 version

#5 Skyzo

Skyzo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:05 AM

@Carlitosbaby:

Did you actually have to remove the passkey to get your backups to work?
I got my successfully flashed but none of my backup seems to boot.
I might give it a try.

#6 neonmod

neonmod

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE(Carlitosbaby @ Sep 27 2007, 12:36 AM) View Post

Well according to tutorial you need to use xbox power for 78 and 79 drives also if you used the wires with my install even after good flash wouldnt play an copies until I took the passkey out. I hope this helps I did mine 2 days ago and went 1-2-3 with the 4.0 version

Thanks for the help and responses, Guy's.

I used my 360 to power the drive this time as suggested and found the green xbox power light flashing as expect along with the two pushes to close the drive etc.. (mobeb symtoms).

Insert an original game and windows detects the disk and i close the autorun pop up and start FM toolbox and try to raw dump the firmware again but unfortunately i get exactly the same response and error reported back from FW toolboxn -- "cannot read from drive".

Is this now my Newlink sata card?

Thanks!

#7 neonmod

neonmod

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE(Skyzo @ Sep 27 2007, 12:41 PM) View Post

@Carlitosbaby:

Did you actually have to remove the passkey to get your backups to work?
I got my successfully flashed but none of my backup seems to boot.
I might give it a try.

Have you tried soldering a link on "J1" which is supposed to disable the passkey?

Edited by neonmod, 27 September 2007 - 03:44 PM.

#8 Carlitosbaby

Carlitosbaby

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:31 PM

I honestly didnt try the j1 as that was not clear what you need to solder there are 4 points which I couldnt figure out what to do with(solder all 4 together? instructions arent clear) and yes after removing it all copies worked fine. I soldered mine using wires as its a million times easier than you the adapter.

QUOTE(neonmod @ Sep 27 2007, 09:36 AM) View Post

Thanks for the help and responses, Guy's.

I used my 360 to power the drive this time as suggested and found the green xbox power light flashing as expect along with the two pushes to close the drive etc.. (mobeb symtoms).

Insert an original game and windows detects the disk and i close the autorun pop up and start FM toolbox and try to raw dump the firmware again but unfortunately i get exactly the same response and error reported back from FW toolboxn -- "cannot read from drive".

Is this now my Newlink sata card?

Thanks!

hmmm not sure what the problem is are you running tool from C or from desktop I had a few problems running it from desktop other than that im stumped ive done over 15 78 drives and never had this problem and about 5 79 drives.

#9 neildo

neildo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:01 PM

I had the same problem. Blue led on the PCB on startup, using Connectivity kit. PCB is wired using the flat cable.

The fix for me was to boot the Slax Linux CD and make sure it stops at the mode b thanks to Kev message. Reboot the pc and then you should be ok.

I know the passkey is supposed to put the drive in mode b but only seems to partially do so on my Elite 79FL drive. Try it, you've got nothing to lose.

neildo.

Edited by neildo, 27 September 2007 - 09:02 PM.

#10 neonmod

neonmod

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE(neildo @ Sep 27 2007, 10:37 PM) View Post

I had the same problem. Blue led on the PCB on startup, using Connectivity kit. PCB is wired using the flat cable.

The fix for me was to boot the Slax Linux CD and make sure it stops at the mode b thanks to Kev message. Reboot the pc and then you should be ok.

I know the passkey is supposed to put the drive in mode b but only seems to partially do so on my Elite 79FL drive. Try it, you've got nothing to lose.

neildo.

I found that i had to power cycle the xbox a few times before the green xbox power light would flash and the drive show the modeb symtoms.

Are you suppose to boot slax in the xbox drive or the pc drive?

If it is the xbox, then i have a problem as the newlink sata card will only boot a hard drive on the cards spare ide port.

I take it you guys who have sucessfully done this, use the via sata cards?

@Carlitosbaby

You just solder the two top pads next to J1, i did this last night to check the drive was still ok for normal use in the xbox and it worked fine.

Tried root C: and desktop but no success there either.

Maybe i need to get a via card?

Thanks.

Edited by neonmod, 27 September 2007 - 10:24 PM.

#11 neildo

neildo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE(neonmod @ Sep 27 2007, 10:49 PM) View Post

Are you suppose to boot slax in the xbox drive or the pc drive?

The Slax gets booted in the PC drive, so that Linux starts on your PC. My motherboard has VIA8327 Sata onboard so had no problems detecting the 79FL drive.

#12 neonmod

neonmod

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(neildo @ Sep 27 2007, 11:57 PM) View Post

The Slax gets booted in the PC drive, so that Linux starts on your PC. My motherboard has VIA8327 Sata onboard so had no problems detecting the 79FL drive.

Thanks, i'll try that, though i would have thought the drive is in modeb or i would not have got as far as i have.

I"ll let you know how i get on using slax.

Edited by neonmod, 27 September 2007 - 10:31 PM.

#13 Skyzo

Skyzo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE(neonmod @ Sep 27 2007, 08:18 AM) View Post

Have you tried soldering a link on "J1" which is supposed to disable the passkey?

No, but I've been thinking about trying that first instead of removing the passkey which takes more time.
I'll let you know how it turns out.

As for putting the drive into modeB, I always use the power on with tray open method. It's quicker and works for me all the time. I've also tried with slaxcd with no problem but prefer otherwise.

#14 Skyzo

Skyzo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:06 AM

I just tried bridging the J1/TST pads and it still wouldn't boot my backups. I then desoldered all wires connected to the passkey but still leave them connected to the TSOP...tried out a few backups and they work. biggrin.gif Many thanks to Carlitosbaby for the tips.

neomod, I also had a similar problem getting the "cannot read from drive" message, but not the steady on/off blue light. What I noticed was that I only get it when the drive is spinning. My way around it was to do the "Raw Dump Firmware as". For some reasons, this will spin the drive down and I was able to do the normal flashing procedures. I know you mentioned you get the error msg when you do the raw dump, but did you hear your drive spin down at all?

#15 neonmod

neonmod

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE(Skyzo @ Sep 28 2007, 10:42 AM) View Post

neomod, I also had a similar problem getting the "cannot read from drive" message, but not the steady on/off blue light. What I noticed was that I only get it when the drive is spinning. My way around it was to do the "Raw Dump Firmware as". For some reasons, this will spin the drive down and I was able to do the normal flashing procedures. I know you mentioned you get the error msg when you do the raw dump, but did you hear your drive spin down at all?

Tried both firmware read options with the same result and i didn't notice the drive spin down at all.

Going to burn a slax cd and try that now, be back hopefully with some success!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users